• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gorilla Monsoon was always wonderful for making things feel special. I miss him.

Classic Match of the Day

Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta (c) - (AJPW 02/23/84)

Huge double title match here as Nick Bockwinkel puts up his AWA World Heavyweight Championship against Jumbo Tsuruta, the NWA United International Champion. This is such an important match in puroresu history and a real watershed moment for Jumbo who, while already one of the most popular wrestlers in Japan, lacked that one big victory to legitimise his status. Nick Bockwinkel, meanwhile, had been AWA Heavyweight Champion for 511 days. He'd been beating the crap out of Jumbo since the early 70's and Tsuruta had yet to overcome the veteran when championship glory was on the line. Bockwinkel was determined to see that this wasn't Jumbo's night and takes the fight to him in a frenzied manner not normally seen out of the master technician Bockwinkel. There's some absolutely fantastic mat work here, as Nick expertly works over the arm and when Jumbo makes his comeback, the pop is huge. The match lulls a bit in the middle, but picks up again towards the end with an excellent finishing stretch. Seriously amazing stuff, highly recommended, especially if you've never had the pleasure of seeing it before.

thanks for the link. (never knew Vice had a Asian edition) interesting look at the modern day game over there, but Kana's fears was legit. holy shit.

Ice Ribbon doesn't seem all that typical compared to most joshi promotions and it's easy to see why Kana dislikes that style, or the idea of wannabe actresses becoming wrestlers, but that's where a lot of the money is in modern joshi, especially with the recent successes of the STARDOM promotion and Yuzuki Aikawa.

T-minus 5 minutes to the Wrestlemania Forever Stream. All Wrestlemanias. Starting from 1.

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4f0bb1d0149a2

Enjoy friends. :3

Awesome, thanks man :)

McNei1y

Guys why are the avatars blocked?
It just says

Sunflower's avatar no pic?

They aren't. There was a thread on this in OT that said something like "Why aren't avatars working?". I didn't read the answer though so check that thread out.

T-minus 5 minutes to the Wrestlemania Forever Stream. All Wrestlemanias. Starting from 1.

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4f0bb1d0149a2

Enjoy friends. :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0

This is a wild guess, but maybe Jushin Liger. He'll be in America wrestling for the Extreme Rising show in Philly on 4/4. The Review A Wai podcast hinted he may also be doing something for Wrestlecon. This would be a fitting match to do, Quack bringing in his hero to fight his turned star protege and the protege's evil doppelganger.

If it's not going to be someone from CHIKARA past then Liger would be beyond awesome as Quacks partner.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That pop Bruno Sammartino gets at Mania 1 - awesome. Gonna be depressing seeing him almost 30 years later.

strobogo

Banned
That pop Bruno Sammartino gets at Mania 1 - awesome. Gonna be depressing seeing him almost 30 years later.

Bruno is probably the least depressing old wrestler to see. Dude is pushing 80 and is still in fantastic shape and healthier than most of the current guys wrestling.

Also, it's a shame that Bockwinkle was an AWA guy because not a lot of people have seen how awesome he was. I think he's better than Flair in pretty much ever aspect besides coked up promos.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesse & Monsoon are my favourite.

I love Jesse when he's "on" - which he is at Wrestlemania and has a good guy to verbally spar with. Monsoon was wonderful no matter who you sat him next to. What a guy.

Sammartino is just so good. Glad he's going into the HoF.

EDIT: JYD gonna grab them cakes

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sheik is perfect at it too, so amazing. "haa-pthooth!"

And then some ENTRANCE MUSIC that sounds dubbed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at Iron Sheik's tights, I forgot I have a Sheik costume for Halloween. I should wear that shit again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
May have been the best manager of all time. I wish we had managers like that today.

BTW Gary Hart was awesome too.

Those two are my favorites. Heenan was far more lighthearted and enjoyable and fun - Gary Hart was legitimately incredible and when he was on serious mode (which was often) he was untouchable.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Andre looks like he was in huge decline here. What year was it noticeable?
What year was his peak physically?

He was getting bad here for sure, Mania 3 was pretty much the end and he shouldn't have been there. I'd say go back about 7 years back for prime Andre, but someone else may know better. Even 5 years is a huge upgrade in Andreness.

He was getting bad here for sure, Mania 3 was pretty much the end and he shouldn't have been there. I'd say go back about 7 years back for prime Andre, but someone else may know better. Even 5 years is a huge upgrade in Andreness.

When I watched this match as a kid, I never realized how immobile he was at this point in time.

You know what I have a huge problem with the way backstage interviews are done/not done today.

They were so damn important back in the day!!!!!!!

FU WWE!!!!!!

Yeah, he was still able to go pretty well in '81, as he wrestled Hansen in AJPW and most agree that it was the best Andre match in a good few years. I'd say his peak was the mid 70's.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I have a huge problem with the way backstage interviews are done/not done today.

They were so damn important back in the day!!!!!!!

FU WWE!!!!!!

It bugs me on some of these that the two wrestlers facing each other are in the same room and switch out. Shouldn't bother me.

OH FUCK YEAH HIT MY MUSIC

somedevil

Add former TNA Knockouts Winter and Rain (Peyton Banks) to the list of women who have turned down TNA's offer to return for the upcoming all-Knockouts pay-per-view taping. We noted before that Roxxi, Sarita, Traci Brooks, Angelina Love and Awesome Kong have also turned the company down to return that night.

Well TNA will most likely have to cancel this pay per view. This is what they get for treating the women badly.

2013-03-13-trial.jpg

Top Bottom