• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Your Starrcade Kickstarter idea?

no-chance-in-hell-o.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
kickstart a Shinskee US tour instead
tumblr_mjivg6EvR31rkxaj4o1_400.jpg

oh wait most the 'big' US indy promotions suck now. like i want to watch him wrestle the young bucks or eddie edwards(spoiler: I don't)

strobogo

Banned
Maybe when Trips is boss he'll give me WCW One Night Stand: Starrcade.

Never surrender!

Only if he can get his win back over Alex Wright. I'm watching the final Nitro. I got almost to the end and my browser closed. I can't watch the whole show again.

FyreWulff

I always figured Starrcade could be the 'beginning' of the season if they ever took time off.

But they really could just rename TLC to it because TLC is such a generic name for a PPV. Make it the final 'regular season' PPV before DA RHODE TO RASSLMANYA starts

somedevil

Raw Breakdown:

In the segment-by-segment, the show opened at 3.46 for the Paul Bearer tribute to Undertaker and the C.M. Punk interruption. Big Show vs. Seth Rollins lost 9,000 viewers. Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler gained 132,000 viewers. The segment with Fandango coming out with Brodus Clay & Tensai lost 298,000 viewers. The New Age Outlaws vs. Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow, which was really the Brock Lesnar & Paul Heyman promo was the big segment of the show, gaining 326,000 viewers to a show-high 3.57 quarter.
Mark Henry vs. Kofi Kingston and Ryback vs. Heath Slater and the Henry/Ryback face-off lost 179,000 viewers. Alberto Del Rio vs. Antonio Cesaro lost 265,000 viewers. The John Cena/Rock video package lost 10,000 viewers. Randy Orton & Sheamus vs. Rhodes & Sandow in the 10 p.m. slot gained 106,000 viewers to a 3.32. The Highlight Reel with Chris Jericho, Wade Barrett, Miz and Brad Maddox and all the movie trailers gained 81,000 viewers. Jericho vs. Miz lost 359,000 viewers. Jack Swagger vs. Sin Cara lost 78,000 viewers. C.M. Punk vs. Kane in the overrun gained 153,000 viewers which is a very weak overrun gain, finishing at 3.18. The issue was probably going 15 minutes is too long after a three hour show, plus they took a rare commercial break during the overrun

Basically this raw The Shield, Dolph vs Bryan, and Brock Lesnar are draws while Miz and Alberto are rating killers.

gurudyne

I always figured Starrcade could be the 'beginning' of the season if they ever took time off.

But they really could just rename TLC to it because TLC is such a generic name for a PPV. Make it the final 'regular season' PPV before DA RHODE TO RASSLMANYA starts

I like this, but go one farther--just get rid of all of the gimmick-match PPV names. Elimination Chamber, Hell in a Cell, MitB. Survivor Series and Royal Rumble can stay because they're legacy, but everything else could use the overhaul. Starrcade and even Halloween Havoc would be nice replacement PPV names, the latter especially so for the PG crowd Vince is trying to cater to.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So the buzz is that the stip Brock is going to announce is if Triple H loses, he retires.

somedevil

What does "overrun" mean?, my English skills are no perfect yet, sorry.

Overrun, means when the show goes past it scheduled time. Raw goes 8-11. So anything past 11 is called the overrun.

Also, here is some news:

The Bella Twins (Nicole & Brianna Garcia, 29), signed new deals and returned on Raw on 3/11. This dates back maybe two months. The company felt it was low on women talent and also didn’t feel the women in developmental were ready, so they made offers to bring back The Bellas, Kelly Kelly, 26, and Maryse, 30, who just got engaged to Miz. Those are the names we know of for sure were contacted and are still in play.

One possible match is Brodus Clay, Tensai, Cameron and Naomi vs. The Bella Twins, Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow

Another match planned this week is Fandango vs. Chris Jericho

lol, someone trolled Meltzer with this one and he still reported it.

Only just watched Raw but I was hoping Paul Bearer would win the main event for Kane

I was hoping Punk would grab the urn and then a ray of light come out blinding him for Kane to hit the tombstone

Would have been fitting

strobogo

Banned
wcw2001.tumblr.com

WCW Monday Nitro 3/26/2001

God damn it, I had almost the entire show written out and a random Flash error closed my page and everything I had written. I'm not watching the show again. Instead a quick run down of what I've seen.

Vince opened the show from Raw and said he had WCW's future in his hands. Flair came out on Nitro and ranted about history and challenged Sting to a match.

Booker defeated Steiner in a WCW/US Championship Unification match. It was really short. Steiner couldn't feel anything below his left knee and had a serious back injury.

Filthy Animals beat Jung Dragons and 2 Count to get a title shot later.

s6zq.gif

Shane Helms defeated Chavo to retain the Cruiserweight Championship

Stasiak beat Bam Bam in a Tattoo Match. Stacy didn't dance. Tony shit all over how stupid the stipulation was when people were about to lose their jobs.

Palumbo and O'Haire defeated Team Canada to retain the WCW Tag Team Championships.

Filthy Animals defeated Romeo and Prime Time to win the Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships.

s70w.gif

All of this was interspersed with cuts to Vince backstage at Raw and on the phone. He fucked Trish. Regal came in and said WCW was a mess. When they got back to Nitro, Tony went APE on Regal, saying "WCW had to do a lot of crazy stuff, Steve Regal, including putting your ass over on TV!" I found it hilarious that Tony and Scott always refereed to Vince as "Mr. McMahon".

Sting defeated Ric Flair. The final match in WCW history. Ric wrestled in a t-shirt, which is better than slacks and a Hawaiian shirt. I believe Sting had a shoulder injury at the time, too. I'll say this, Tony was on fire for the main event. Flair and Sting hugged after the match.

Then came the simulcast. Vince in the ring on Raw talking about WCW being aired on TNN and TNT. Paul Heyman on commentary, so basically wrestling in America was dead besides the WWF.

Vince botches and says Nitro was on TNN. Vince will sign the contract at Wrestlemania when Ted Turner brings him the contract. That would have been fucking great. Vince did it all on his own! No help from any WWF Superstars. He could put WCW on the shelf and watch the tapes of Hogan doing pose downs.

s71y.gif

Or maybe he could run it and make it as big as the WWF. He lists the names of some wrestlers to see if the fans like them or not. Fans boo Hogan, boo Luger, were mixed for Buff, popped for Booker, definitely wanted Steiner. Goldberg chants start up. They want Sting and Goldberg. Especially Goldberg. "How appropriate is it that WCW's last broadcast is in a beer hall?" "WCW IS BURIED!" Well, he wasn't lying. He says he'll bury EVERYONE. Lol. Shane comes out...in Panama City! Shane has purchased WCW! SWERVE!
s72z.gif

s74c.gif

The last Nitro actually ended with a promo for Wrestlemania, which is fucking harsh. That's probably more of a burn than Vince shitting on the company on live TV to me.

Let's take a look at where the talent on this show ended up.

Sting: In TNA for more or less the past 10 years. Mixed results. Probably the only guy to go to TNA and have it not be a dark spot on his career, though.

Ric Flair: Would join the WWF by the end of the year. Feuded with Vince, was part of the initial brand split, was part of Evolution. Retired by HBK at Wrestlemania. Got divorced about 30 times, lost all of his money, joined TNA as a crazy, sad, depressing old man. Is back making sporadic appearances in WWE.

DDP:
Joined the WWF. Had his character completely derailed into a creepy stalker, got beat up by Undertaker's wife, came back as a motivational speaker and won the European Championship. Was injured and retired, but did make a few appearances in TNA. Started teaching yoga and basically being the most awesome dude possible. Got Jake Roberts sober and is currently working on Scott Hall.

Tony Schiavone: Completely left the business outside of one TNA show where he turned heel and SHOOT shit talked Mike Tenay.

Scott Hudson: Did color for two WCW matches under the WWF banner. Made a few appearances in TNA, but otherwise left the business.

Booker T.: Joined the WWF and kick started the Invasion angle by attacking Stone Cold at KOTR. Would become a joke character basically the rest of his career. Got buried at WM 19 by HHH. Won the KOTR and World Heavyweight Championship. Beat up Batista. Went to TNA, did nothing, came back to WWE and is now the GM of Smackdown.

Scott Steiner: Joined WWE in late 2002. Had some terrible matches with HHH, double teamed Stacy Kiebler with Test, had multiple runs in TNA. Got even crazier. Caused a riot in India. Sued TNA.

Chuck Palumbo. Joined the WWF, did nothing during the Invasion, but then formed an ambiguously gay tag team with Billy Gunn. They had a gay wedding, but it turns out they were straight. SWERVE. Went to Japan, came back to WWE under a biker gimmick, it fell flat and he was released again. Has been out of the business for a few years.

Sean O'Haire: Joined the WWF, did nothing during the Invasion. He had a new gimmick in 2003, but was then paired up with Roddy Piper, who then got fired, which pretty much killed O'Haire's career. He left WWE, got KTFO by Butterbean at a PRIDE event, and punched a woman in a bar. Currently a hair dresser.

Lance Storm: Joined the WWF. Was actually the first invader. Won the Intercontinental Championship, became an UnAmerican, had a boring gimmick, then had a dancing gimmick that included him having a huge dick. Left WWE in 2005, started a wrestling school, and has made various appearances in various big indies, including ROH.

Mike Awesome: Joined the WWF. Won the Hardcore Championship in MSG, but did nothing else during the Invasion. Eventually fired in 2002. Made a handful of appearances in TNA and went back to Japan. Made a return at the first ECW One Night Stand. Committed suicide in 2007.

Shawn Stasiak:
Joined the WWF. Became a full on comedy character during it where he would run into things a lot. After the Invasion, he became a crazy dude who talked to himself and rhymed in all of his promos. Left WWE in 2002 and retired shortly after. Has been a chiropractor since.

Billy Kidman: Joined the WWF. Won the WCW Cruiserweight Championship in the first WCW match on Smackdown. Was the only WCW guy cheered at the InVasion PPV, since he was facing X-Pac. Won the WWE Cruiserweight Championship and WWE Tag Team Championships with Paul London. Eventually turned heel and left the company. Divorced Torrie Wilson. Ate his weight in tacos and rejoined WWE as a producer/trainer.

Kid Romeo:
Made a few appearances in TNA. Made sporadic indie appearances and retired in 2008.

Rey Mysterio Jr.: Joined WWE in 2002. Instantly became a top flight, upper mid card guy. Put his mask back on. Suffered a series of injuries. Won the WWE and World Heavyweight Championships. Also ate his weight in tacos.

Bam Bam Big Yellow: Did various indie shows until 2006. Basically vanished for a few years. Died in 2007 of an overdose of cocaine and anti-anxiety medication.

Yang: Joined the WWF, but was let go and not involved with the Invasion. He split his time between TNA and Japan before being hired back to WWE as a Yakuza member. He was let go again, went to ROH for awhile, then came back to WWE as a redneck. Was let ago again in 2010 and went back to various indies and started his own pest control company.

Kaz Hayashi:
Apparently made one appearance in The Alliance, which I don't remember at all. Would go to back to Japan and became the longest reigning AJPW Junior Heavyweight Champion. Also became the booker for the junior division.

Shannon Moore:
Joined the WWF. Didn't actually debut until 2002 and would become a MF'er in 2003. He was released in 2005 and joined TNA with a new look that included a lot of tattoos, piercings, and a mohawk. Rejoined WWE in 2006 under the same gimmick, only to be released again in 2008 and rejoined TNA in 2010. Was released in 2012.

Evan Karagias: Joined the WWF, but only made it to developmental, had an injury, and never actually wrestled a match. Made sporadic appearances on indies and basically retired in 2004. He is a franchise partner in a tax filing company.

Shane Helms: Joined the WWF. Lost the Cruiserweight Championship in his first match, then became the superhero, The Hurricane. Under the gimmick, he won WWE Cruiserweight, European, Hardcore, and Tag Team Championships on two occasions. He also picked up a win over The Rock. He turned heel and had a long term Cruiserweight Championship run under Gregory Helms. Suffered a neck injury that put him out of action for a year. Returned to the Hurricane gimmick, but was fat and creepy looking. Released in 2010 and was in a serious motorcycle accident in which he was under the influence. He suffered a broken leg, ankle, jaw, and nose. His girlfriend broke her neck.

Chavo Guerrero Jr.:
Joined the WWF. Didn't really do anything during the Invasion, but formed a team with Eddie and had some of the best matches of 2002. After that, he became the most boring wrestler in wrestling for the next 10 years. Requested his release in 2011 and joined TNA in 2012.

As far as I know, they only guys still employed from the buyout are Charles Robinson and Arn Anderson.

s70f.gif

That's it. No more WCW. I'll be doing ECW on TNN next, but I probably won't start it up for a few weeks. I need a break from wrestling and I have stuff like The Wire Season 4 to catch up on first.

Jamie Noble is still with WWE too, but he was gone for a little bit when he got caught up in some steroid stuff. Kidman is still there, but he also went through an unemployed period.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, I meant uninterrupted employment. I forgot about Johnny Ace. There may be some other production or behind the scenes people brought over, but I believe Ace, Arn, and Charles Robinson are the only ones to come over from WCW and still be there after 12 years.

People say WCW was turning things around in 2001, but they weren't. It was slightly more focused for a show or two, and then right back to normal WCW insanity/inanity.

KissVibes

Banned
I'll never forgive WWE for their mishandling of Booker T. He was the only major guy that ever got me watching WCW as a kid. So cool.

strobogo

Banned
I'll never forgive how they mishandled EVERYTHING about the Invasion. Not putting out the money to get any of the stars besides DDP and Booker, making DDP into a creepy joke, Booker into a joke, making his own guys in charge of the WCW/ECW group, involving Shane and Stephanie, not pulling the trigger on RVD, not using 80% of the WCW guys at all. But the worst part is that they brought in Hogan/Hall/Nash/Goldberg/Steiner/Flair/Rey/Bischoff AFTER the angle ended. What the fuck?

Laserfrog

The Invasion stuff made me stop watching wrestling, it didn't sit right with me. Didn't watch any for a good 6/7 years. Maybe closer to 5, I dunno!

Sabucin

I'll never forgive how they mishandled EVERYTHING about the Invasion. Not putting out the money to get any of the stars besides DDP and Booker, making DDP into a creepy joke, Booker into a joke, making his own guys in charge of the WCW/ECW group, involving Shane and Stephanie, not pulling the trigger on RVD, not using 80% of the WCW guys at all. But the worst part is that they brought in Hogan/Hall/Nash/Goldberg/Steiner/Flair/Rey/Bischoff AFTER the angle ended. What the fuck?

I totally agree with you!, and I have no idea why they did it.

Top Bottom