• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

antonz

I see ads for writers on WWE.com all the time. The job postings specifically state they want to see something like 3-5 years' worth of television writing and producing credits.

Maybe the WWE should be more discerning? Less?

They need to hire people who know the industry and forget the whole TV/Soap Opera experience being a big thing.

I probably would suck at day to day Days of our lives type stuff but I could sure as hell write a wrestling fued and I am sure most of wrassle gaf could consistently write solid product.

They are way too caught up on trying to bring outside the industry types and get them to write as if they know or love the product.

They need to hire people who know the industry and forget the whole TV/Soap Opera experience being a big thing.

I probably would suck at day to day Days of our lives type stuff but I could sure as hell write a wrestling fued and I am sure most of wrassle gaf could consistently write solid product.

They are way too caught up on trying to bring outside the industry types and get them to write as if they know or love the product.

Exactly. There are more good writing/booking ideas in a single monthly WrassleGAF thread than what WWE has put out over the past several years. WWE creative needs people who have grown-up watching and loving wrestling and know the ins and outs of how to create a wrestling narrative, not a standard soap opera.

Verendus

Banned
I realised something.

Brotista is the only top star from the last decade who has never been defeated by Triple H. This is strange to consider. He's also the only man to have defeated both Triple H and Undertaker in Hell In A Cell. Wrestlemania 28 is a lie. Just two pussies fighting for second place.

I have one mark out moment left. And it's his return to the WWE. I am now anticipating Wrestlemania for that glorious music to hit.

I realised something.

Brotista is the only top star from the last decade who has never been defeated by Triple H. This is strange to consider. He's also the only man to have defeated both Triple H and Undertaker in Hell In A Cell. Wrestlemania 28 is a lie. Just two pussies fighting for second place.

I have one mark out moment left. And it's his return to the WWE. I am now anticipating Wrestlemania for that glorious music to hit.

So what you're saying is Batista already ended the era? I guess the memory didn't remain.

martels7rp.gif

Del Rio never took notes on how to look cool... :(

Jitters

This has gotta be one of the worst set up WMs in some time. All the top 3 matches, Punk/Taker, Rock/Cena, and Brock/HHH have been built up pretty poorly. Just one Raw left, jeez. The Rock and Cena's thing on Raw was the only half way decent thing they have done for the feud.

If Paul hadn't passed, what would the feud have been for Taker and Punk? The 4-way idea they had to get to the feud was a bad start, so I can't imagine what they had planned.

I also don't like how they completely dropped Ryback and the Shield. They have cost him time and time again, and instead of him finally getting pay back at WM they put them both in thrown together matches. What is the deal with that?

All that being said, I don't expect WM to be a bad show, just a poorly built up one. I would like to see more specialty matches on the card. Like make the tag title match a ladder or something.

j590NlG.jpg

PLEASE COME BACK
cQRPCsR.gif

How long you think TNA's revised X division will last? I feel like they have tried to bring life back to the division multiple times only to drop months later. Remember when the TV title was supposed to be defended every week? They dropped that too.

somedevil

Was Crock even on the show?

Yes, he is and its funny but the ratings for Raw is this year for 3 hours are doing better than the first Rock and Cena match last year and Raw was two hours!

Basically business is actually up for WWE with no help from the booking.

tumblr_mk8wnz3rWE1r2ahfqo5_250.gif

This gif makes me glad that HHH Summerslam sympathy prolonged crying walk to the back after his loss didn't work. Fuck this company most of the time

What do you guys think Undertakers best Wrestlemania match was, where the focus was on the streak, and beating the streak.

I think Wrestlemania 26 was the best Wrestlemania match Taker has done. Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels in Career vs Streak? As a huge HBK fan, I was really into the match and all the way through, I had hope that Shawn would win. Great match with so many awesome moments.

Classic Match of the Day:

Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu & Kantaro Hoshino vs Dick Murdoch, Bob Orton & Scott Hall - Japan Cup Tag Team Elimination - (NJPW 11/17/88)

Very enjoyable 6-man elimination tag here for the 1988 Japan Cup as Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu & Kantaro Hoshino take on the gaijin heels of Dick Murdoch, Bob Orton & Scott Hall. This is a perfect example of a multi-man tag match done right - everyone has their story here. Murdoch & Inoki are leading towards a singles match and Inoki can't wait to get his hands on Murdoch (who is wonderful here with all his heel antics as he tries to avoid Inoki), while Scott Hall is the young and arrogant powerhouse that draws the ire of Choshu (who is just on FIRE in this match) and little Kantaro Hoshino, being the smallest wrestler in the match, has to overcome a real shit-kicking from the mean and nasty Bob Orton Jr. Everyone plays their part really well and the eliminations (which occur via pin-fall or by being thrown over the top rope) are nicely worked in and add a great deal of excitement to the match. Dick Murdoch in particular was amazing throughout and the whole finishing stretch, once it's down to the final two guys, is just awesome. Super fun match.

Here's the playlist of other classic matches so far;

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j4f3

• Billy Robinson vs Nick Bockwinkel - (AJPW 12/11/80)
  • Bob Backlund (c) vs Stan Hansen - WWF Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 09/30/80)
  • Tatsumi Fujinami (c) vs Tony Rocco - WWF Light Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 09/11/80)
  • Takako Inoue vs Kyoko Inoue - (AJW 01/24/93)
  • Tiger Mask (c) vs Bret Hart - WWF Light Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 02/05/82)
  • Stan Hansen vs Andre the Giant - (NJPW 09/23/81)
  • Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue - Real World Tag League FINAL - (AJPW 12/03/93)
  • Jumbo Tsuruta & Tiger Mask II (c) vs Stan Hansen & Ted DiBiase - PWF World Tag Team Championship - (AJPW 11/07/87)
  • Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Nobuhiko Takada - IWGP Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 10/09/95)
  • Aja Kong (c) vs Dynamite Kansai - WWWA Title Match - (AJW 08/25/93)
  • Naoki Sano vs Masakatsu Funaki - (SWS 04/01/91)
  • Koji Kanemoto (c) vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title - (NJPW 01/04/96)
  • Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta (c) - AWA Heavyweight Title & NWA United International Title - (AJPW 02/23/84)
  • Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen - (AJPW 04/14/83)
  • Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs El Samurai - Top of the Super Jr's III FINAL - (NJPW 04/30/92)
  • Genichiro Tenryu vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara - (WAR 11/27/97)

KissVibes

Banned
tumblr_mk8wnz3rWE1r2ahfqo5_250.gif

This gif makes me glad that HHH Summerslam sympathy prolonged crying walk to the back after his loss didn't work. Fuck this company most of the time

I expect people to boo the living shit out of him when he wins at WM too after DX and XPACs torn asshole preform finishers/bleed on Brock and cost him the match.

Ric Flair update

After undergoing tests today, it was determined Ric Flair once again has a blood clot in his left leg. He was not admitted to the hospital, and was given medication to attempt to dissolve the clot.

I expect people to boo the living shit out of him when he wins at WM too after DX and XPACs torn asshole preform finishers/bleed on Brock and cost him the match.

Who's on our list of people who aren't getting booed at WrestleMania?

Boo list:
Cena
Triple H

Cheered:
CM Punk
Daniel Bryan and Kane
Undertaker
Brock
Jericho

I don't know if Rock will be on Boo or cheer. I also don't know where FanDanGo will go, maybe boo?

I hope Miz, Wade, and Ziggler all get cheered.

somedevil

Rock is getting cheered because the fans know what the alternative is. No one is going to get the level of hate Cena is going to get this Wrestlemania.

I bet there might be odds of fan running into the ring to prevent Cena winning the title.

I don't think HHH is going to get booed. It might be a split crowd, but I doubt they will be against HHH.

I'm going to boo HHH, I'm going to boo him a whole bunch

Rock is getting cheered because the fans know what the alternative is. No one is going to get the level of hate Cena is going to get this Wrestlemania.

I bet there might be odds of fan running into the ring to prevent Cena winning the title.

I hope it snows so I can throw snowballs at Cena after he wins.

Pretty much all the faces will get boo'd or chanted against and all the heels will get cheered. Exceptions are Taker he's winning and hes gonna get cheered and Fandango he's gonna get boo'd.

Cena - Boo's
HHH - questionable but im gonna go with boo's
Ryback - Goldberg chants
Superfriends - Boo'd at against the shield
Miz - Boo'd

AJ should get a good amount of cheers as she's from there and Zack Ryder should get some chants too if he appears somehow.

i feel like brock is going to get cheered.

i think punk will be booed.(i also think punk is going to win)

Shield Will be cheered

Ziggler will be cheered. at the least i expect there will br ziggler chants during the WHC match

Jitters

I think Brock is going to win. I think he'll win this, then go win the belt at Summerslam.

EDIT: Orton and Sheamus will get cheered too. Not sure why they wouldn't.

Guzim

HHH will get booed, and if he loses, the crowd will chant "Na na na, Na na na, Hey hey, Goodbye" instead of WWE hoping "Thank you HHH."

Cagey

Banned
The Stroud-IWC may want The Rock booed for reasons I'll never understand beyond hipster wrestling fandom, but The Rock is going to get welcomed like a god damn hero in the Meadowlands.

And if the crowd is as awesome as it should be, the Lesnar/HHH match will be hugely one-sided for Lesnar.

Ithil

HHH will get booed, and if he loses, the crowd will chant "Na na na, Na na na, Hey hey, Goodbye" instead of WWE hoping "Thank you HHH."

He will never be Shawn Michaels. HBK is one of the greatest performers ever, and HHH isn't. He just needs to get over that and concentrate on what he's good at. So far he's proven a good executive and a great Talent Relations head, and I've got high hopes for him as head of the WWE, concentrate on that and he'll have his legacy (and it won't be as artificial as his wrestling one).

Rock is a toss up. Back in the day WM18, Summerslam 02, etc marks would turn on him with ease. I like Rock just despise this storyline with a passion. It makes no sense to cheer for any of them. I'm expecting a hardcore mark crowd. They did break first day sales records which hasn't happened since WM18 which could be a sign of things to come..

It's simple. Rock is a legend, and was a legend during the time everybody actually enjoyed wrestling and didn't just watch it cos they had to. He represents a time we all miss. He is a hero. An icon. An inspiration. The people's champion.

Now against Brock? Maybe he'd get booed. Or Taker. But Cena? Come on. Cena gets booed against fucking Ziggler.

Rock is a toss up. Back in the day WM18, Summerslam 02, etc marks would turn on him with ease. I like Rock just despise this storyline with a passion. It makes no sense to cheer for any of them. I'm expecting a hardcore mark crowd. They did break first day sales records which didn't happen since WM18 which could be a sign of things to come..

Rocks gonna get cheered lesser of two evils plus everybody is expecting Cena to win so they are gonna go in soured towards Cena

Cagey

Banned
It's simple. Rock is a legend, and was a legend during the time everybody actually enjoyed wrestling and didn't just watch it cos they had to. He represents a time we all miss. He is a hero. An icon. An inspiration. The people's champion.

4-the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

I don't buy "lesser of two evils", either. The Rock is awesome, and he's somehow keeping this main event afloat (barely) with a 250 pound deadweight named Cena tied to his ankles.

somedevil

Smackdown Spoilers:

The Rock's music hit and the building literally started to shake. My God, what an ovation. There were loud rocky chants that picked up after the music stopped. Rock held up a Hershey bar to a big pop. Funny. Rock talked about how he lived an hour away in Bethlehem, Pa. He showed a picture of himself when he was 15 and had a Cody Rhodes style mustache. He did the "Finally..." routine.

Rock said tonight is the first sold out WWE event in Hershey in a decade. He told us the origin story of Candy Ass. Awesome. Rock said he's going to beat Cena at WrestleMania. This led to boos, to Cena sucks chants, to Rocky chants. It was a very pro-Rock crowd in that respect. Rock started his millions routine when he was interrupted by John Laurinaitis, which drew huge heat and a "You Suck" chant.

Rock asked who in the blue hell he was. Laurinaitis said they were two peas in a pod, Rock is the People's Champion, and Big Johnny started people power. He offered to be in Rock's corner at WrestleMania. Rock polled the crowd for what he should do. No chants ensued. The Rock hit a spinebuster and the People's Elbow to a monster pop! The Rock said that at WrestleMania, Cena was getting his candy ass beat again. Rock posed for a bit then left.

1. Chris Jericho beat Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett in a non-title match. Jericho came out for his match to a big pop. Wade Barrett was out next to relative silence. What a shame and a waste. Barrett hit a shoulder block on Jericho, who responded with chops and a clothesline. Barrett came back with punches and a headbutt. Barrett whipped Jericho to the corner and hit a boot to Jericho to send him to the outside. Y2J continued getting punished, and Barrett cut off a comeback with a stiff back kick to the midsection. In the end, jericho hit the Codebreaker for the win.

After the match, Fandango made his full entrance to the ring, followed by "You Can't Wrestle" chants. Fandango said nothing and danced back to the back.

Paul Heyman was interviewd by Josh Mathews. Heyman said it is a must lose situation for Triple H. The Ryback/ Mark Henry bench press challenge is up next.

Booker T and Teddy Long came out to introduce the contestants. There were huge Feed Me More chants for Ryback. Henry came out to some decent heat. Booker said if they get physical, they will be banned from WrestleMania.

Henry won a coin toss so he went first. He benched 220 lbs. 54 times. Apparently, this was a new record. Big Hungry was on his way to breaking that record, when Henry shoved the bar down across his throat. Ryback was helped to the back. There were Feed Me More chants throughout the segment.

2. Dolph Ziggler, Big E Langston and AJ Lee vs. Kane, Daniel Bryan and Kaitlyn is up next in mixed-tag action. Kane gives the boot to Big E and Kaitlyn pins AJ for the win.

A video aired of The Shield, stating that the team of Randy Orton, Sheamus, and Big Show don't stand a chance. They said they would believe in The Shield.

3. Jack Swagger (w/Zeb Colter) fought The Great Khali (w/Natalya, Hornswoggle) to a double count out. Khali overpowered early, with Swagger getting in a few shots. Swagger locked Khali in the Patriot Lock on the outside and ignored the 10 count, resulting in a double count out. Afterwards, Ricardo came out to distract Swagger, who was ambushed by Alberto Del Rio, who sent Swagger and Colter packing. A good pop for Ricardo and a better one for Del Rio.

Sheamus came out to a good pop, followed by Orton to a much bigger pop, followed by Big Show to a noticeably smaller pop. Rhodes Scholars and Cesaro came out together. Sandow tried to silence the crowd to very negative effect.

4. Randy Orton, Sheamus, and Big Show defeated Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, and Antonio Cesaro. Orton and Cesaro started things off with Randy taking an early advantage. Sheamus tagged in and roughed up Cesaro a bit, then Big Show and Cody tagged in. Big Show dominated, then Orton tagged back in and roughed up Cody a bit. That mustache is wonderful. Cesaro tagged in and got some shots but was double teamed by Orton and Sheamus. Sandow tagged in and traded offense with Sheamus. Orton came back in and took control. The heels took control for a while, isolating Orton in their corner. In the end, Sheamus made the hot tag and hit the Brogue Kick on Cody for the win.

After the match, The Shield's music hit and they started to head down through crowd, but orton and company met them halfway up the stairs and a fight ensued, with The Shield sent packing to a thunderous pop. This should be where Smackdown ends.

I don't buy "lesser of two evils", either. The Rock is awesome, and he's somehow keeping this main event afloat (barely) with a 250 pound deadweight named Cena tied to his ankles.

Cena is gonna have to carry The Rock through the match( im not joking) Rock gonna be 3 min in and be in a resthold. Its gonna be a 20 min match with 15 min of restholds, Cena is gonna have to be on his A game for this to be an ok match. Wrestlemania on paper looks good if this was 3 or so years ago but you have a bunch of out of shape guys in the top 3 matches. Taker (Fat due to not being able to work out), HHH (Fat weird steroid body), Rock (not made for long matches)

Cagey

Banned
Cena is gonna have to carry The Rock through the match( im not joking) Rock gonna be 3 min in and be in a resthold. Its gonna be a 20 min match with 15 min of restholds, Cena is gonna have to be on his A game for this to be an ok match. Wrestlemania on paper looks good if this was 3 or so years ago but you have a bunch of out of shape guys in the top 3 matches. Taker (Fat due to not being able to work out), HHH (Fat weird steroid body), Rock (not made for long matches)

I'll take Resthold Rocky over No Sell Cena every single day of the week. At least you can work some damn psychology into submission holds.

Ithil

OH MAN i hope
Johnny Ace
is here to stay

Closing moments of Rock/Cena II, everyone including the ref is down. Ou comes Johnny Ace, who hands Cena a chair. After some consideration, Cena cracks Rock with it, enough to pin him when the ref comes round. Celebrates with Johnny Ace after that match, and is covered with trash by the NY/NJ crowd

Well, it would be a fun retread. I am fully braced for CENAWINSLOL already.

Anth0ny

It's simple. Rock is a legend, and was a legend during the time everybody actually enjoyed wrestling and didn't just watch it cos they had to. He represents a time we all miss. He is a hero. An icon. An inspiration. The people's champion

It's true. That was exactly how I felt watching the match at mania last year, and it's still how I feel this year.

whatamark.gif

And honestly, it's the same with Hunter, to a FAR lesser extent. He won't get booed, as much as we despise him. He's not going to get a huge pop like Rock, Taker, Punk or even HBK would have. He's no legend.

Cena is going to get booed out of the fucking building no matter what, but ESPECIALLY if he wins. I'm hyped just to see how they spin that reaction in the weeks following Mania :lol

Top Bottom