• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm slowly working my way back to being a "good" MK8 player. I just finished running through all the tracks in 100cc last night, so now I'm going to move up to 150cc. Maybe after beating that I'll be able to handle online races. Tried one a few nights ago and came in 7th without getting item spammed...

Mostly the same here, though I haven't played online yet not played much online MK in the past games. Just finished 3 starring the 100cc circuits (had to redo 4 of them that I got 2 stars on my first past) and will move on to 150cc. May do time trials vs. the Nintendo ghosts as I go through them as I need to learn the shortcuts and best lines.

Griss

It's funny, because I have a completely opposite view on this.

You have to get over the whole "deserved to win"-thingy. Or I mean you don't HAVE to get over it, but you would have a lot more fun if you did. Think of it like this: some games have more luck involved than others. I, for example, enjoy poker more than chess. Both are skill based games, but there's lot more luck involved in poker. It just means that the best player won't win every game, and that's actually pretty great if you can get over the fact of not winning everytime you "deserved" it.

To summarize: more items, more chaos, more randomness, more fun. For me, this is the essence of Mario Kart.

Right, but when you're comparing a port of the exact same game to a new console, a comparison between the relative skill / luck balance is perfectly valid. We're not comparing poker to chess here, we're comparing two versions of MK8. It's perfectly valid to feel like one version is too biased towards skill, or another too biased towards luck. Personally, I like a skill bias, which is why I loved MK8. I'm also not a fan of changing the balance so radically for a port. Not sure why it was required, although I suppose it gives the game a sense of newness and a breath of life.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Right, but when you're comparing a port of the exact same game to a new console, a comparison between the relative skill / luck balance is perfectly valid. We're not comparing poker to chess here, we're comparing two versions of MK8. It's perfectly valid to feel like one version is too biased towards skill, or another too biased towards luck. Personally, I like a skill bias, which is why I loved MK8. I'm also not a fan of changing the balance so radically for a port. Not sure why it was required, although I suppose it gives the game a sense of newness and a breath of life.

I think the marketing shows the reason why--they seem to be doubling down on family and casual gaming given the TV ads that have focused on MK8 (and 1 2 Switch) vs. Zelda. Given that it's reasonable to have shifted a bit more back toward luck, added in the assist options etc.

random25

The fact that it's more frequent to get a bomb-omb and a horn in first place makes this game more balanced than the original. Makes me play a little more aggressive.

ciD_Vain

That moment when the racer in front of you drops a bob-omb at the end of an auto-glide segment...
giphy.gif

I have had several races where all while I was in first, I only received coins. Even from double item boxes. No joke.

I find this happens when the game lags and you're in first place. Double coins from every box as soon as the roulette eventually stops.

Also, if you're never making to the top places you simply have a lot to learn about how to play the game still despite the luck factor involved which is touched upon nicely some posts ahead of me. Item management is crucial, don't just blow those red shells or think using your triple mushrooms alone is going to get you anywhere. Wait for the pack in front of you to take each other out then red shell the winner.... Then red shell them again.
With mushrooms, find out where all the shortcuts are and cut off your opponents at every opportunity.

Since there are so many complaints of people getting stuck in the middle I wanted to see if I could climb out successfully and consistently and I was certainly able to. Get to know the tracks, and use your items better ( drop that defensive banana in a choke point).

Also "why can't I enjoy my racing momentum" posts are...🤣. Good luck ;)

Begbie

Questions about MK8 Battle Mode..

When you play offline can you play without CPU.. so just 4 players on a local machine?

If so, are the courses too big for just 4 players, are they all designed for more players?

Questions about MK8 Battle Mode..

When you play offline can you play without CPU.. so just 4 players on a local machine?

If so, are the courses too big for just 4 players, are they all designed for more players?

I feel like they are somewhat too big at times. But it's not too hard to just choose an area for everyone to meet up (usually the center) lol

random25

That sudden 200cc race against randoms was wack. Like just about the middle of the pack are banging on walls lol. Dunno how I got 5th out of 12 with that crazy race.

Mcdohl

Sunshine Thief can be fun in Battle Mode, specially in the SNES course. It can get pretty chaotic.

IMO some stages are clearly superior (in terms of fun) when it comes to Battle Mode.

Besides the piranha plant the one other thing that makes my salt levels rise is how erratic stopping the item wheel is in online play. Yes I'd just like my item please so I don't have to get hit by the red sh-- goddamnit.

Chris R

Kinda bummed that there isn't a "Basic Items" option in Vs Mode. Standard includes Blue Shell, so we'll either have to go with mushrooms or bananas or just coins :\

I've seen either 100 or 150. Not sure what determines it or if 50/Mirror/200 are also possibilities.
I definitely raced 200cc online, but only in rooms where everyone had around my points, which is ~3.5k. I'm guessing it takes point average or something for possible ccs?

Cloud7

That's a known bug. Item lag can do that except not only is it a lot more common this time, but item lag can target only specific people now for no fucking reason other than always lagging up the whole room like it did before.

So you can be stuck getting coins while 2nd is still able to get shit like triple reds. That didn't happen in vanilla.

Wait, so is that part of a known bug?

This has been what's driving me nuts. Every time I'm in 1st or 2nd, all I get are coins, bananas, and the occasional bomb or green shell. However, the CPU can get tons of red shells while in 2nd. It's bugging me so hard lol #SaltLevelRising

sleepnaught

This has been what's driving me nuts. Every time I'm in 1st or 2nd, all I get are coins, bananas, and the occasional bomb or green shell. However, the CPU can get tons of red shells while in 2nd. It's bugging me so hard lol #SaltLevelRising

Pissing me off to no end too.Trying to 3 star 200cc and always at the finish line on the 4th course its a red/blue shell. driving me nuts lol

Unai

I'm still bummed that I can't use an account of my country anymore to play it online like it was possible on the Wii U (probably because we don't have an eShop so we can't pay the payed online play comes). It's easy enough changing the region of the account, but my flag won't show on the online games and instead I have to use the USA flag.

GP doesnt have that bug, its an online bug caused by one of the players having ass net. When the item wheel keeps rolling for ages no matter what you do, THAT is the bug.

Sounds like you are just getting mario karted tbh

Firebrand

That's a known bug. Item lag can do that except not only is it a lot more common this time, but item lag can target only specific people now for no fucking reason other than always lagging up the whole room like it did before.

So you can be stuck getting coins while 2nd is still able to get shit like triple reds. That didn't happen in vanilla.

It happens way too often I get a triple + a single red shell from a double box while in #2. For a moment, I hesitate. It would be cheap.

FIRE! *pause* FIRE! *pause* FIRE! *pause* FIRE!

I was fearful of double items for all the same reasons you are, and I've been surprised by how much I enjoy them actually. It does get a little more chaotic sometimes, but there's an additional element of strategy to pursuing double boxes and deciding how/when to use them that I just didn't realize was missing from vanilla MK8. It's another thing I have to think about during a race, and if you play proper defense in first that 'earned win' feeling is just as strong as it was before.

My worry was that upping the items would make this feel more like MK Wii, and I really don't think it does that at all.

I went from 1st to 12th on the last lap of Yoshi Valley again.

Fuck that fucking bullshit course. I don't have this problem on literally any other track in the game. For some reason it's only this one holy shit

If you pick Yoshi Valley when I'm in the room I am just gonna kill you now fuck that track man, it's motherfucking cursed.

CSX

So i just bought a Switch bundle that included this game. I originally had MK8 on Wii U but didnt buy any of the DLC. Is there anything in the base Wii U version that MK8 Deluxe doesnt have? If there isn't anything exclusive on the WIi U version, then I'm just gonna sell it since it looks like Deluxe includes all the DLC content.

So i just bought a Switch bundle that included this game. I originally had MK8 on Wii U but didnt buy any of the DLC. Is there anything in the base Wii U version that MK8 Deluxe doesnt have? If there isn't anything exclusive on the WIi U version, then I'm just gonna sell it since it looks like Deluxe includes all the DLC content.

Deluxe doesn't have the crappy battle mode from the Wii U version.

Top Bottom