• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Derphoof

Does this version keep you from straying off the track? I swear, every time I think I'm going to go off track or hit a wall, the game tries to prevent it as best as possible.

What the hell is going on here?

2BKpl3W.png
and here I was thinking this game wouldn't get much use outside of sessions with my roommates and friends.

This was my first time playing any game online with a GAF community - it was a humbling experience, to say the least. Lots of fun, though!

WoolyNinja

Wow - I could've sworn I turned Smart Steering off in multiplayer but sure enough it was back on when I just tried playing. Hopefully it stays off from now on.

Man fuck me I've gotten three stars on all the 150 cups with one two tries max but I've now lost neo bowser city 5 times in a row at the start of the bell cup it's always at the final section of lap three it's maddening

Edit: just won but still ate a blue shell and red shell at the end and won by a hair

Is anyone else having a weird problem with their joycons where when you're racing the vehicle is always pulling to one side? It didn't start happening until today

You accidentally turned gyro on, i made that mistake to and thought my pro controller was faulty. Never before had a game made me so fucking angry yet its still all i want to play because its so much fun

sleepnaught

Never before had a game made me so fucking angry yet its still all i want to play because its so much fun

QFT. I literally had to pry myself from the game earlier because I was getting so worked up. But jesus christ, its so addicting. Playing this game literally anywhere takes it all to a whole new level too.

gosox333

I'd played a bunch on the first two nights of release on the gaf 150 and haven't been back on until tonight and saw I was back to 0 points. Is there a time limit or something?

Malus

Just got the game today!

Seeing an Inkling in MarioKart and hearing Splattack play almost brings a tear to my eye :')

Otherwise, a few hours in I already almost feel like returning it lol (luckily I rented it). It's fun, but sort of forgettable overall. HD Rumble isn't that noticeable on the pro controller, so still not sold on that.

As someone who skipped the initial DLC the new tracks and 200cc mode are pretty cool. 200cc feels surprisingly manageable.

I'd played a bunch on the first two nights of release on the gaf 150 and haven't been back on until tonight and saw I was back to 0 points. Is there a time limit or something?
It resets weekly. I made it so it does that at the start of Sunday to make things easier to understand.

Hylian7

I need to get to sleep, so I bailed, but that was the first time I had really played 200cc online. I like that you can't throw the old "pick heavy character with heavy build" at everything, but man it takes some getting used to.

murgo

Can anyone explain to me why I was just hit by a blue shell while being in FUCKING FOURTH place? I get crushed in multiplayer every goddamn time :( I'm starting to hate this game :(

Edit: Ah crap, the first three were already through the finish line, making me the first dude still racing :( ARgh

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can anyone explain to me why I was just hit by a blue shell while being in FUCKING FOURTH place? I get crushed in multiplayer every goddamn time :( I'm starting to hate this game :(

Final lap? If so the guys ahead of you already finished.

Impulsor

So, what character+kart combos do you guys use for 150cc and 200cc?

I find using light characters with kart pieces that boost accel, handling and ggrip are the best for 200cc, I've beaten all the cups, half of them with three stars. Others, something bizarre happened to me at the end of some races. Minimum 1 star.

For 150cc I drive a balanced combo with a heavy char. I find 150 cc way easier to play now that I've beaten 200cc.

Chiramii

This OT makes me wanna buy a switch for this game, then I remember getting my ass royally kicked by you
beautiful
fucks when MK8 was new.

Zemm

Booted up the Wii U version again and the racing on that version is so much better and balanced. Can't believe Nintendo fucked up the online racing so much in the Deluxe version. I guess they felt like they needed to add something to the normal racing and just went with the two item system without a thought to the balance of the game. MK8 Wii U tread that line between too much missile spam and just enough perfectly.

Also the netcode in Deluxe is way fucking worse, holy shit.

Can't believe I'm disappointed in a MK8 port :////

Cloud7

I'm so sick and tired of almost winning races and then getting hit with a blue shell and 4 straight red shells. I could have 3 starred all the 150cc Cups by now if I didn't get screwed so much.

I'm so sick and tired of almost winning races and then getting hit with a blue shell and 4 straight red shells. I could have 3 starred all the 150cc Cups by now if I didn't get screwed so much.

Don't hate the player, hate the ga... oh wait, that's exactly what you are doing.

Oooh, that would be a good title for the second OT:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT2| Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game.

Probably too long.

Booted up the Wii U version again and the racing on that version is so much better and balanced. Can't believe Nintendo fucked up the online racing so much in the Deluxe version. I guess they felt like they needed to add something to the normal racing and just went with the two item system without a thought to the balance of the game. MK8 Wii U tread that line between too much missile spam and just enough perfectly.

Also the netcode in Deluxe is way fucking worse, holy shit.

Can't believe I'm disappointed in a MK8 port :////

I would say that the items in Deluxe are much better balanced without the inclusion of double items and double item boxes, but I feel that the inclusion of both balances them even more. I don't know what you're referring to

sanstesy

I would say that the items in Deluxe are much better balanced without the inclusion of double items and double item boxes, but I feel that the inclusion of both balances them even more. I don't know what you're referring to

Literally every time a new Mario Kart comes out people say how they fucked up the item balance compared to the last iteration. Nothing new.

Don't hate the player, hate the ga... oh wait, that's exactly what you are doing.

Oooh, that would be a good title for the second OT:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT2| Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game.

Probably too long.

Mario kart 8 deluxe [OT2] Hate the game
:p

I got hit by a blue shell and lightning and still won
With randoms

I can't even get to top 3 racing with gaf lol

Top Bottom