• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I WANT TO PLAY WITH YOU GUYS BUT I'M AT WORK

HELP

don't you have your switch with you? ;)

we just played two 4 player circuits at work :D

speaking of....... fuck getting hit by a buddies red shell, only to get slammed by like 4 more red shells in a row... I am still so fucking pissed.. two races in the last circuit I was in first place for two laps (both times!!!!!!!) and then got shmeared by EVERYONE ALL AT ONCE to drop back to 7th or 8th... so pissed..

molnizzle

I picked up the joy-con wheels mainly for my 3-year old and it turns out they also make the individual joy-cons super usable as normal controllers. In addition to providing a better grip, they also provide real, normal sized shoulder buttons:

MIl8tqH.jpg

vls2J08.jpg

Looks like just the one set of shoulders though, right?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Well, Amazon lost my sale. My order was still listed as "Pre Ordered" with no expected arrival date. Canceled that one and will pick up at Best Buy today. Probably better that way, anyway, as I don't have to pay tax and the Best Buy is only a few miles away.

Whelp...status still says it'll be delivered today.

Still hasn't shipped...

Well, Amazon lost my sale. My order was still listed as "Pre Ordered" with no expected arrival date. Canceled that one and will pick up at Best Buy today. Probably better that way, anyway, as I don't have to pay tax and the Best Buy is only a few miles away.

I got on chat with Amazon and said they had stock issues and that it won't ship until the 30th once they get some from another fulfillment center. Said they'll give me a $10 dollar credit to my account but I am going to cancel the order anyway and go down the street to Best Buy and pick it up.

VanWinkle

Alright, giving up trying online play for now. Like 6 errors in a row that got to various stages (all before the course actually loads up).

Draper

"I research the order details and I see that unfortunately the item is not in stock as if now so Alex I am really sorry from bottom of my heart just for you I have escalate this issue to my inventory team that as soon as the item get in stock you will receive an confirmation email and you will receive it on priority basis.
And to compensate for this I will go ahead and extend your prime membership for 1 month with no additional cost."

topplehat

Really need to stop trusting Amazon release day delivery, they botched my Switch delivery and only gave a month of Prime for it after a ton of CS chatting.

molnizzle

Correct. They work like the strap and physically push down into the tiny buttons on the actual joy-con. They feel pretty good, though.

No way to use the Z shoulders for games that use them though. =/

Though I don't know how many of those there will actually be, it'd be nice if everything was accessible.

forrest

formerly nacire
Best selling game of the year on Amazon? Am I the only person going 100% digital and just keeping my BOTW cart in the Switch?

I've still got 168GB free on a 200GB card with half a dozen games so far.

I'm doing the same for now. Using the 256 gb sd card I got from a samsung phone promotion and keeping zelda in the cart slot. Just seemed like a no-brainer to have MarioKart on tap whenever.

Crazyorloco

Absolutely love having this game on the go. It's perfect for portable gaming.

I keep forgetting i can have two items! anyone else forgetting too? I still have the Wii U version in my head. lol

P.S. Battle mode is worth get this again.

Salaadin

So UPS just got here and had no package for me. I go to Amazon to cancel and they say I can't because it's preparing to be shipped.

Basically, my order entered the preparing stage last night, was listed for delivery today, package never actually shipped, every amazon rep tells me a different arrival date ranging from "today at 8" to "it's backordered", and I can't cancel the order meaning I'll be charged once this thing ships.

I just want this order to go away and I'll buying straight from Nintendo digitally.

Acerac

Banned
People really need to stop ignoring tracks I like when voting. What kind of asshole wouldn't vote for Mount Wario? What the fuck is these people's problem?

feel

I can just lay there watching the replays for the longest time, they're so well done. So much character and so many lil touches in the tracks and racer animations, what a beautiful game. Love how you can change replay speed with B and the sticks and how it affects the sound, it's so cool.

Edit- switching to auto-aceleration to give my thumb some rest, seems like I must have the button always pressed down anyways. I hope I'm now screwing myself over in some way by doing this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how is the single player in the game? lots of tracks and various cups? I have no interest in multiplayer but I vouched to not let the switch be another 1 game system for me (as both the wii and wiiu were, and no that's not a slight on the systems, its a slight on myself, especially with the U which had plenty of good stuff to get that I just...didnt)

I can just lay there watching the replays for the longest time, they're so well done. So much character and so many lil touches in the tracks and racer animations, what a beautiful game. Love how you can change replay speed with B and the sticks and how it affects the sound, it's so cool.

Yes, I agree...I love the replays

Just finished my lunch break at work.

After I was done eating my shawarma, I started playing some Mario Kart in handheld mode.
Now, I haven't taken my Switch outside the house since the first time I got it, and wanted to play Zelda elsewhere simply for the novelty of it.

As a handheld, the Switch is a little too large for me to want to take with me, just to distract myself for a little, so I bring my 3DS or Vita with me normally in my pocket.
Today, however, I decided I'd pack my Switch case (with JoyCon grips and portable battery/charger) to see if my feelings had changed.

I work at a public university, and finals are wrapping up this week.
I was playing in a non-quiet "study" area in the student union, when a student, whom I simply assumed was studying with his friends asked me

"Is that.....Mario Kart? Are you playing Mario Kart?"

I responded "Wanna play?"

He got really excited and exclaimed "Can I?!?!"
He stood up, and was about to come over to where I was sitting.
Now, where I was sitting, there wasn't a table or anything, so I figure that he thought I was going to have to hand him the whole Switch in handheld mode.

"Sit down. I'm coming over there."

He sits down, and I snap off (okay not actually snapping, but in my head I made the noise) a JoyCon and hand it to him (after sliding on those grips).

"Cool! I've never seen one in person!" I let him set up whatever settings he wants, as he clearly seemed to have play quite a bit of Kart in his day.

"150cc or 200cc" he asks.
"Oh, 200cc for sure!" I respond.

And like that, my life became one of those Nintendo Switch commercials. I spent the next 30 minutes doing a round of 5 battle mode games set to random with frantic weapons, and pulverize him (along with the AI).
He wants a rematch, and we decide to do a 4 race game.
We exchange 1st and 2nd place each race, and at the end of the last race, just before I cross the finish line on the last lap, he hits me with a red shell, passes me up, and the next 4 AI characters proceed to "run a train"* on me, until I finally regain control and inch my way into 6th place.

From now on, I'm taking my Switch everywhere**.

*When you get hit in mario kart, and everybody decides to either hit you with a weapon or crash into you, as they pass you up. You just sit there until the train finally passes you, and you can play the game again. That other train is unrelated.

**not actually everywhere

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
how is the single player in the game? lots of tracks and various cups? I have no interest in multiplayer but I vouched to not let the switch be another 1 game system for me (as both the wii and wiiu were, and no that's not a slight on the systems, its a slight on myself, especially with the U which had plenty of good stuff to get that I just...didnt)

I don't know how familiar you are, but yes the single player is insanely deep with cups that scale up the difficulty and then speeds as well. It's just a perfect ramp and of course an insane amount of variety. The only thing that doesn't translate is Battle Mode (though you can play it with bots, but there's not a Battle Cup or w/e).

Top Bottom