• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Poppyseed

yeah let's throw a red shell...and another...and another when the person is still wrecked from the first two

great

I love doing that to people so much. If I'm in second, and get 3 red shells while the first place guy is in the distance, staggering those red shells is so satisfying, knowing the guy in front is getting hit...and then hit again a second later, and then again a second later.

Nothing beats that feeling of knowing how pissed off that dude is. :D

Crazyorloco

I actually like playing Mario Kart 8D with the Switch D-Pad. I don't see any cons to it. I play with it just like it's a regular Dpad.

Roo

Just finished my lunch break at work.

After I was done eating my shawarma, I started playing some Mario Kart in handheld mode.
Now, I haven't taken my Switch outside the house since the first time I got it, and wanted to play Zelda elsewhere simply for the novelty of it.

As a handheld, the Switch is a little too large for me to want to take with me, just to distract myself for a little, so I bring my 3DS or Vita with me normally in my pocket.
Today, however, I decided I'd pack my Switch case (with JoyCon grips and portable battery/charger) to see if my feelings had changed.

I work at a public university, and finals are wrapping up this week.
I was playing in a non-quiet "study" area in the student union, when a student, whom I simply assumed was studying with his friends asked me

"Is that.....Mario Kart? Are you playing Mario Kart?"

I responded "Wanna play?"

He got really excited and exclaimed "Can I?!?!"
He stood up, and was about to come over to where I was sitting.
Now, where I was sitting, there wasn't a table or anything, so I figure that he thought I was going to have to hand him the whole Switch in handheld mode.

"Sit down. I'm coming over there."

He sits down, and I snap off (okay not actually snapping, but in my head I made the noise) a JoyCon and hand it to him (after sliding on those grips).

"Cool! I've never seen one in person!" I let him set up whatever settings he wants, as he clearly seemed to have play quite a bit of Kart in his day.

"150cc or 200cc" he asks.
"Oh, 200cc for sure!" I respond.

And like that, my life became one of those Nintendo Switch commercials. I spent the next 30 minutes doing a round of 5 battle mode games set to random with frantic weapons, and pulverize him (along with the AI).
He wants a rematch, and we decide to do a 4 race game.
We exchange 1st and 2nd place each race, and at the end of the last race, just before I cross the finish line on the last lap, he hits me with a red shell, passes me up, and the next 4 AI characters proceed to "run a train"* on me, until I finally regain control and inch my way into 6th place.

From now on, I'm taking my Switch everywhere**.

*When you get hit in mario kart, and everybody decides to either hit you with a weapon or crash into you, as they pass you up. You just sit there until the train finally passes you, and you can play the game again. That other train is unrelated.

**not actually everywhere

Well that's awesome haha.
You had a lot of fun while playing and made a new friend in the process.

👌🏻👌🏻

B00TE

I really hope they are able iron out the comm error stuff, it'll be so easy to recommend to my friends that are still skeptical of buying it again for their switch. Wonder if it's server side or client tho.

Hylian7

The fuck Amazon...I was told up until now I was getting it today, then I suddenly get a notification saying it's coming Sunday.

I call customer service, they say it's "out of stock". I preordered it, wtf.

They gave me $20 credit. Still fucking bullshit though.

Well that's awesome haha.
You had a lot of fun while playing and made a new friend in the process.

👌🏻👌🏻

Yeah! This made me want to buy Street Fighter any basically every 2-4 player game on the system.

I mean, a high powered portable system is cool and all, but couch multiplayer system that I can take pretty much anywhere?
That's god tier hardware, and is recreating what seemed to be a dying gaming experience.

So I'm going to let you online players all finish, but couch/tabletop Mario Kart is the greatest game of all time! /kanye

Just finished my lunch break at work.

After I was done eating my shawarma, I started playing some Mario Kart in handheld mode.
Now, I haven't taken my Switch outside the house since the first time I got it, and wanted to play Zelda elsewhere simply for the novelty of it.

As a handheld, the Switch is a little too large for me to want to take with me, just to distract myself for a little, so I bring my 3DS or Vita with me normally in my pocket.
Today, however, I decided I'd pack my Switch case (with JoyCon grips and portable battery/charger) to see if my feelings had changed.

I work at a public university, and finals are wrapping up this week.
I was playing in a non-quiet "study" area in the student union, when a student, whom I simply assumed was studying with his friends asked me

"Is that.....Mario Kart? Are you playing Mario Kart?"

I responded "Wanna play?"

He got really excited and exclaimed "Can I?!?!"
He stood up, and was about to come over to where I was sitting.
Now, where I was sitting, there wasn't a table or anything, so I figure that he thought I was going to have to hand him the whole Switch in handheld mode.

"Sit down. I'm coming over there."

He sits down, and I snap off (okay not actually snapping, but in my head I made the noise) a JoyCon and hand it to him (after sliding on those grips).

"Cool! I've never seen one in person!" I let him set up whatever settings he wants, as he clearly seemed to have play quite a bit of Kart in his day.

"150cc or 200cc" he asks.
"Oh, 200cc for sure!" I respond.

And like that, my life became one of those Nintendo Switch commercials. I spent the next 30 minutes doing a round of 5 battle mode games set to random with frantic weapons, and pulverize him (along with the AI).
He wants a rematch, and we decide to do a 4 race game.
We exchange 1st and 2nd place each race, and at the end of the last race, just before I cross the finish line on the last lap, he hits me with a red shell, passes me up, and the next 4 AI characters proceed to "run a train"* on me, until I finally regain control and inch my way into 6th place.

From now on, I'm taking my Switch everywhere**.

*When you get hit in mario kart, and everybody decides to either hit you with a weapon or crash into you, as they pass you up. You just sit there until the train finally passes you, and you can play the game again. That other train is unrelated.

**not actually everywhere
You are supposed to LOSE friends over Mario Kart, not MAKE more.

You're doing it wrong.

:p

Dinokill

My brother went on and bought MK8 digital on my switch. If there a way to get a refund? I'm not sold on digital games especially on a Nintendo console. I rather go to Best Buy to get physical.

Just got my copy an hour ago so excited to play with gaf, but so far I've only had time to do the mushroom cup on 50 cc. So the computers fucking nailed me with like 2 blue shells in a single race and almost one in every race and a bunch more red and green shells than usual. I'm either way worse at this game or something. Maybe the two items make it way easier for me to get fucked by a computer? But yeah not even on 150 cc do I get slammed that bad

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dear Nintendo,

Please make Diddy Kong playable. He's a master of karts, airplanes and hoverboats. He can handle your dumb little karts.

.J.

Banned
Hey, I'd love to play with some fellow GAFfers. SW-8480-4219-4224

Also have ARMS and Splatoon preordered, and have been tearing it up in PPT, so add me!

M.W.

Dang, my first online race with people from all over the world...I'm leading for 2.5 laps, then the damn blue shell gets me and I finish 9th. lol

Totally forgot to drop my friend code: SW-4099-7127-9797.

I've also got bomberman and would be down for some matches of that in the future as well.

Anyone noticed that the Miis in MK8 Deluxe aren't very emotive compared to the original? My friend picked up on it, and grabbed screencaps of both versions.

246ePKH.jpg

Z5RWezz.jpg

Kinda odd.

j-wood

Does this game have a manual? How do you turn off smart steering? Does that basically just keep you from falling off the track? I did rainbow road and while I was controlling my steering it wouldn't let me fall off.

Top Bottom