• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

EulaCapra

Personally, I'm going on the assumption that the 30 character roster is the final one, and the starting roster looks similar to this:
kart-1024x576.png
Ugh, you're probably right. That's probably the starting roster. The Wii U Gamepad decal sticker (don't have pic now) only has those starting 12 on them too. If there's no more hidden characters, Mario Kart series would be more infamous than some fighting games with all the cuts going on in every iteration starting with MKWii in favor of goddamn Metal/Dry/Baby people. Someone else pointed out in one of the MANY MK8 threads today that Wiggler and Honey Queen were announced as the last characters exactly a month before MK7 released so this 30 character thing might be it, which is a shame. It doesn't help that the audience members in tracks consists of colored Shy Guys, Toads, Yoshis, and Koopas. Birdos would usually be part of these. :(

Racers Missing As of Now
Who Died in the Line of Duty during MK7-MK8
:
Waluigi*, Toadette*, DK Jr. (the shirt anyway), Paratroopa, Petey Piranha, Birdo, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, Honey Queen, Wiggler, R.O.B.

linko9

That was weird. Unfortunately I already have all those free games except Wii Party, which I have no interest in. That said, it's not like the price is going to go down on this game in the future, so I may as well get it at launch. Not a huge MK fan, but this one does look pretty great.

BM8

Neo Member
That was weird. Unfortunately I already have all those free games except Wii Party, which I have no interest in. That said, it's not like the price is going to go down on this game in the future, so I may as well get it at launch. Not a huge MK fan, but this one does look pretty great.

You can probably sell the code.

majik13

Who would have thought that Mario Kart would be the first franchise to properly deliver on the "Ahmagad HD Nintendo games!" promise?

FUCKING.

GLORIOUS.

I think most of there big games have already done this. While MK8 is up there as maybe their top so far, but

3DWorld
WWHD
NintendoLand
Pikmin 3

all look pretty glorious, and a lot of them running at 60fps too.

robot

Anyone think there will be a DLC announcement around release date? Today probably would've been too soon right?

DJ88

I appreciate the response. I'm assuming that line seems perfectly normal (funny, given the context) to you. I mean, I appreciate Luigi going into a wall as much as anyone, but why the heck would they even put that line in? Do you have a better reason?

Haha, really? It's just a dumb corny joke that's used all the time. Usually said by someone who sounds depressed or is a loser. You're reaaaally stretching thinking that line has anything to do with the Mother series.

udivision

They revealed all characters a month before the release with Mario Kart 7. Even those you had to unlock
Oh, I forgot. Queen Bee and all...

I think most of there big games have already done this. While MK8 is up there as maybe their top so far, but

3DWorld
WWHD
NintendoLand
Pikmin 3

Eh... MK8 is the only one of the games to consistantly be awesome from day 1 reveal to now. 3D World's first impression was up scaled 3D Land port, and we never saw anything that showed of it's lighting till later. WWHD was Bloomsdale. NintendoLand was "lol miis" or w/e, but it was still a little more positive than others. Pikmin 3... well, Wii upport.

MK8 blew everyone away last E3 and kept the fire going for nearly a year.

I really couldn't care less about the roster... I mean, it's nice to have choices, but come on, it's really not that relevant at all, imho.

Game looks glorious, btw.

Same. I also didn't know battle mode mattered that much. I thought no one had time to get a group of friends in a house to play things anymore. Or is battle mode online?

Wha? Why? Personally, I prefer local multiplayer over online multiplayer. It's a lot less fun yelling at my friend over a headset than it is punching him in the arm and giving him a mean look, lol. I don't see what "no one had time" really means.. does it really take that much more time to drive over to a friend's house/apartment? Do people not hang out with their friends anymore? :-/

---

The roster isn't that big of a deal to me. I use Yoshi about 99.9% of the time... I have since the SNES game. But I do think the roster is a bit weird in this game. Way too many baby characters and weird metal versions. I'm more disappointed about battle mode. One day, I hope they bring mission mode back. :(

JB2448

Haha, really? It's just a dumb corny joke that's used all the time. Usually said by someone who sounds depressed or is a loser. You're reaaaally stretching thinking that line has anything to do with the Mother series.

I'm not saying that I'm not stretching it (believe me, I know I am), but I've literally never heard that punchline before for a "Mother always told me" joke.

Racers Missing As of Now
Who Died in the Line of Duty during MK7-MK8
:
Waluigi*, Toadette*, DK Jr. (the shirt anyway), Paratroopa, Petey Piranha, Birdo, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, Honey Queen, Wiggler, R.O.B.

You're missing King Boo.

denshuu

Guys, there's only 1 Donkey Stage. And it's the retro 3DS one.

No new DK stage? Isn't that a little weird...?

I was surprised too. I was 99% sure the new ice stage would just be a Tropical Freeze level. Instead we get the first MK game without a new DK stage since GBA. Weird.

mantidor

Pink Gold Peach and baby Rosalina are so redundant urghh.

I guess that Dry Bones is out :( I'll have to conform with shyguy then, it sucks but I'll live.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the Direct. It was weird but extremely fun.

Oh, and this game looks and sounds phenomenal. I'm actually amazed. I wasn't expecting to be relatively hyped for Mario Kart.

3DWorld
WWHD
NintendoLand
Pikmin 3

Sorry to nitpick but Pikmin 3 is 30fps (looks great though and was my personal game of the year).

MK8 is an incredible looking game not only in looks but also scale and blows any of those games listed away imo.

Any more info on the resolution from the new previews ?. Keep hearing 1080p but we heard the same thing about Tropical Freeze and it ended up being 720p native.

#FreeWiggler :'(
where's my funky kong though, i need him back.

damn, Mario Kart 64 is 17 years old 0_O, almost 20 years , pretty good direct, i liked it

Pink Gold Peach is such bullshit.

Everything else from the music to the track design to DK's face was incredible. I haven't really played Mario Kart 64 in forever so I'm looking forward to this Battle Mode.

L00P

Nintendo's going crazy with awful jokes in their directs lately. I still prefer it over Iwata's humble robot act though. And I love the mk memories segment. They should do more of those.

Man, I wish I wasn't broke. That mario kart bundle is too good to pass up

XaosWolf

Free game for Wii U too, eh... But I already own all the ones I want. Don't really have a use for Wii Party U or Game & Wario.

If it's a code I get, then maybe I can give it away to a better home.

Nah. DS Wario Stadium.

Ah yes, that's the other one! =D

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Pink Gold Peach is such bullshit.

Everything else from the music to the track design to DK's face was incredible. I haven't really played Mario Kart 64 in forever so I'm looking forward to this Battle Mode.
Think of the fanart that can spawn from her though. mmmmmmmmm

NEO0MJ

I want the ability to draw decals/symbols to put on my Kart ala MKDS again.

Considering what some people were putting on their karts I think not.

Think of the fanart that can spawn from her though. mmmmmmmmm

If this were a pokemon game we would already be swimming in them.
Though seeing both her and Metal Mario together I couldn't help but think of DC One million with the Gold Superman and the Silver Lois Lane.

majik13

Eh... MK8 is the only one of the games to consistantly be awesome from day 1 reveal to now. 3D World's first impression was up scaled 3D Land port, and we never saw anything that showed of it's lighting till later. WWHD was Bloomsdale. NintendoLand was "lol miis" or w/e, but it was still a little more positive than others. Pikmin 3... well, Wii upport.

? why does it matter how they looked when they were revealed? All that maters is how they looked when they were actually released. All I saying is that MK8 is not the first impressive looking HD nintendo game.

yoshiunity

"With it's sleek standard issue body and shock-absorbent Monster Tires. This MK-issue ATV is tough enough to any handle even the most difficult terrains and the Konkiest of Konkey Dongs. Guaranteed to put what we believe to be a smile on anyone's face."

I was going to throw a Silver Luigi, Diamond Rosalina, Black Gold Bowser and Orange Sapphire Daisy joke in here, but I think that Iron Horse was beaten enough when it left the station. *rimshot*

Anyway, besides the ho-hum addition of more metal and babies, everything else is looking freaking awesome! The in-depth look on the extra features was pretty good, I can't even freaking BEGIN to explain how much that music makes me hype! The vehicles all look freaking cool and I'm anxious to mix them up. Also, finally! And anti-blue shell weapon! Overall, the direct was pretty sweet!

I'm a little disappointed to see that Yoshi Valley doesn't conceal your placing in MK8, since that was one of my favorite things about the course in MK64! But, I'm sure it will still be pretty fun regardless. Also, seeing battle mode change up a bit is... interesting. Hopefully it actually will be when I play it!

And, shoot... free downloadable full-priced Wii U games? I'm definitely going for either Pikmin 3 or Windwaker HD! Man, May 30th needs to put it in drive and get here!

How long do you figure it'll take for the series to add Spore Toad as a Baby version of Toad - a single spore piloting a kart? Because then they wouldn't have to do a model at all.

RagnarokX

3D World was never an up scaled 3D Land port. The stream quality was pretty bad but even then the footage they showed off looked amazing and the subsequent high-resolution/framerate trailers and videos they posted after the Direct looked as good as when it was released. Hell, to some degree the E3 footage looked better because the final release is missing some animations on the grass that looked pretty snazzy.

3D World looked pretty good.

3D World looked about as good as it should look, but it ultimately doesn't look like it's pushing anything. It is a really pretty game, keep in mind, Kart 8 just looks like they poured love into just about every aspect they could have. Visually speaking, of course.

Mory Dunz

"With it's sleek standard issue body and shock-absorbent Monster Tires. This MK-issue ATV is tough enough to any handle even the most difficult terrains and the Konkiest of Konkey Dongs. Guaranteed to put what we believe to be a smile on anyone's face."

I was going to throw a Silver Luigi, Diamond Rosalina, Black Gold Bowser and Orange Sapphire Daisy joke in here, but I think that Iron Horse was beaten enough when it left the station. *rimshot*

Anyway, besides the ho-hum addition of more metal and babies, everything else is looking freaking awesome! The in-depth look on the extra features was pretty good, I can't even freaking BEGIN to explain how much that music makes me hype! The vehicles all look freaking cool and I'm anxious to mix them up. Also, finally! And anti-blue shell weapon! Overall, the direct was pretty sweet!

I'm a little disappointed to see that Yoshi Valley doesn't conceal your placing in MK8, since that was one of my favorite things about the course in MK64! But, I'm sure it will still be pretty fun regardless. Also, seeing battle mode change up a bit is... interesting. Hopefully it actually will be when I play it!

And, shoot... free downloadable full-priced Wii U games? I'm definitely going for either Pikmin 3 or Windwaker HD! Man, May 30th needs to put it in drive and get here!

That was most likely due to limitations of not being able to calculate what place you were in well, due to the different paths. Maybe they have it sorted now.

Top Bottom