• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Serious question, do people find this announcement 'less impactful' because it wasn't done on a wooden stage?

Serious question, do people find this announcement 'less impactful' because it wasn't done on a wooden stage?

I think the biggest difference is just... the lack of cheering/clapping from the audience. I know it sounds silly, but crowd reactions are quite infectious and increases hype even more. Hell, I still rewatch the Zelda TP reveal (2004 E3 iirc) because I love how the crowd reacts. It has no bearing on the game at all, of course. But I can somewhat understand the disappointment about no live presentation. That said, I thought this Direct was great.

prag16

Banned
I just can't get hyped without a bunch of journalists (and/or paid shills) losing their shit screaming in the background.

/sarcasm

No. The quality of the announcement(s) are what is important to me. If I want to see people clapping, or "losing their shit" I can use Twitter, GAF, Youtube reaction videos, or any of the other social networks.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

No, and I do find it odd that so many seem to miss that. I also watched the Disney Infinity announcement today and despite that being on stage with people cheering, it didn't have anywhere near the same amount of hype.

Yamauchi

Banned
Too bad the new trailer only has a couple hundred thousand views.

It's a beautiful game. It makes me want to play an F-Zero game on the Wii U.

Anyone speaks Japanese here? Google Translate isn't clear. Does this confirm it's 2 players maximum per Wii U for online play (like in MKWii)? Or is it something else?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/amkj/detail/index.html
1~4人
(通信プレイ時 2~12人)
1台のWii Uから2人まで参加できます。

edit: Thanks!

Anyone speaks Japanese here? Google Translate isn't clear. Does this confirm it's 2 players maximum per Wii U for online play (like in MKWii)? Or is it something else?

1~4人
(通信プレイ時 2~12人)
1台のWii Uから2人まで参加できます。

1 ~ 4 people
Online play is 2 to 12 people at once.
2 people can participate in online play from 1 Wii U.

RM8

It's going to be so sad if this seemingly amazing game doesn't sell great. We know WiiU will remain WiiU-ing, but I just hope there is an insane attach rate for this game. Because it doesn't look like a game that deserves to be mostly unplayed.

Prototype

This has to be one of the most creative things I've seen in a while. Really felt that Big N magic, and it feels wonderful! May 30 can't get here soon enough.

1~4人
(通信プレイ時 2~12人)
1台のWii Uから2人まで参加できます。

Yeah, 2 people online per Wii U.

Linkhero1

Finally got a chance to watch the Direct. I thought it was well done.

Battle mode aside, I'm very hyped for the game. I hope we get more of this at E3.

Tevious

Not sure which free game to get (US offer). I already have Wind Waker HD, I never even played Pikmin before, and Wii Party U just looks stupid.

Outside of Mario Kart, I haven't been a fan of any of Mario's other offerings since I was a kid (SMB-M64). I've always been more of a DKC fan for platforming. Just from the trailers I've seen of the New Super Mario games, I find the bah's in the music to be incredibly irritating.

-PXG-

Pro:

😍😍😍
Almost
EVERYTHING!!!! 😍😍😍

Cons:

- Gimped Battle Mode
- Shitty character roster (babbies, metal thangs & goddamn Koopa Kids)

Ehhh...😕:

- Anti grav bump boost could get really annoying when everyone is purposefully knocking into to everyone else to go faster. I don't like the sound of that.

Not sure which free game to get (US offer). I already have Wind Waker HD, I never even played Pikmin before, and Wii Party U just looks stupid.

Outside of Mario Kart, I haven't been a fan of any of Mario's other offerings since I was a kid (SMB-M64). I've always been more of a DKC fan for platforming. Just from the trailers I've seen of the New Super Mario games, I find the bah's in the music to be incredibly irritating.

Pikmin is probably the way to go then. It's a RTS/adventure/puzzle game, about 15 hours to complete the story (probably more if it's your first time with the series). It can be stressful trying to not lose Pikmin when fighting, but if you enjoy those sort of games at all, it can be quite rewarding.

Only thing I'm disappointed with is the character selection. Everything else looks fantastic. Oh, and I saw Yoshi Valley, Nintendo you sly fox. Wish Monster Hunter or W101 were options in NA. Would have chose between those two.

Tagg9

So are there no arena-style levels for Battle mode? That is seriously awful if true.

I always preferred Battle mode over racing.

BowieZ

Banned
I think the biggest difference is just... the lack of cheering/clapping from the audience. I know it sounds silly, but crowd reactions are quite infectious and increases hype even more. Hell, I still rewatch the Zelda TP reveal (2004 E3 iirc) because I love how the crowd reacts. It has no bearing on the game at all, of course. But I can somewhat understand the disappointment about no live presentation. That said, I thought this Direct was great.
And yet most of you lot probably download to your basement modern comedies with no laugh track, and balk at such an antiquated idea!

Game absolutely cannot come out fast enough. I can't wait to jump in and start doing the online play and tournaments. I wonder if the 30 roster reveal is everything or that's the starting roster and there's even more to uncover. Regardless this is my most anticipated day one for the rest of the year besides Dragon Age.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm still not really liking the look of the new Rainbow Road.
My first impression was

HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE AMAZING

then I watched the trailer and the footage on the website and was all

HMM IT LOOKS A BIT DISAPPOINTING, ITS JUST A SPACE STATION

then I examined it closer and realised that the footage so far is just one leg of the race, and there are other extended Rainbow Road type sections beyond, and I was all

I'M SURE IT WILL BE FANTASTIC

RagnarokX

And yet most of you lot probably download to your basement modern comedies with no laugh track, and balk at such an antiquated idea!

Heh, I don't condone such namecalling, but it got me thinking that the people that complain about lack of an audience probably can't watch TV shows that don't have a live audience. How would they know when to laugh? Really these conferences are like those kinds of shows. They're very poorly paced, full of awkward pauses for applause and laughter, terrible writing and jokes.

BM8

Neo Member

Get pikmin 3. The game is a gem, and oozes charm. Its wonderful.

Oidisco

My first impression was

HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE AMAZING

then I watched the trailer and the footage on the website and was all

HMM IT LOOKS A BIT DISAPPOINTING, ITS JUST A SPACE STATION

then I examined it closer and realised that the footage so far is just one leg of the race, and there are other extended Rainbow Road type sections beyond, and I was all

I'M SURE IT WILL BE FANTASTIC

I guess I just loved how massive MK7's Rainbow Road was, and this is definitely smaller in scope.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So is it confirmed that the gamepad player will be forced to use the TV for splitscreen? Would be nice if the other players could get the TV while the gamepad player gets his own screen on the gamepad.

-PXG-

So are there no arena-style levels for Battle mode? That is seriously awful if true.

I always preferred Battle mode over racing.

I hope Nintendo isn't brain dead and actually makes DLC for this game. Tracks, characters, karts, modes...so much potential. They could give this game even more life and longevity. I'll gladly pay for more content if is fairly priced of course

This is the level of quality I've expected from Nintendo since the Wii U launched but never got. It's great to see a game actually take advantage of the jump in power visually. Love it. My hype is hyped.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
Only thing I'm disappointed with is the character selection. Everything else looks fantastic. Oh, and I saw Yoshi Valley, Nintendo you sly fox. Wish Monster Hunter or W101 were options in NA. Would have chose between those two.
Yeah, Baby Rosalina and Pink Metal Peach seem pretty random. At least the Koopalings aren't odd inventions created by Mario Kart itself. I'd prefer actual new racers like Cranky Kong, Dixie Kong, Magikoopa, Nabbit, Fawful or Professor E. Gadd.

Roster complaints aside, it's looking great. That horn could change everything and Yoshi Valley is a classic.

RM8

Yes, roster is weak. I personally love weird additions like Wiggler, Queen Bee, Dry Bones, ROB, etc. - this one is lacking anything of that. It's like they think the Koopaling are more than enough of that. Baby Rosalina is boring and predictable, Pink Gold Peach is very WTF but not in an interesting way.

Regardless, I'm playing Toad as always :p

Top Bottom