• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I guess I just loved how massive MK7's Rainbow Road was, and this is definitely smaller in scope.

I think this is a really ignorant thing to say when we hardly seen that much of 8's rainbow road, its guaranteed to give a much more epic feeling

So are there no arena-style levels for Battle mode? That is seriously awful if true.

I always preferred Battle mode over racing.

yeah seems like a bummer since its just race tracks free roam style

just remake the N64 tower battle stage and others, half the work done :(

Excellent direct. Planned on getting the game early, though not necessarily day 1, but now I will. Not sure if I should get NSMBU or Pikmin 3. I plan on getting both at some point and don't know which one is better to have a retail copy of.

I didn't do battle mode much, but it's a shame if they really removed the individual levels. I understand though, honestly, considering the massive scope of the rest of the game and how even with half the game being retro-levels, most of them have been heavily retooled and repurposed.

RagnarokX

My first impression was

HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE AMAZING

then I watched the trailer and the footage on the website and was all

HMM IT LOOKS A BIT DISAPPOINTING, ITS JUST A SPACE STATION

then I examined it closer and realised that the footage so far is just one leg of the race, and there are other extended Rainbow Road type sections beyond, and I was all

I'M SURE IT WILL BE FANTASTIC

But we've seen pretty much the whole track:
vEqLRT5.jpg

You start out in the station before the figure 8, go through the figure 8 which launches you through a glider section to a circular station with spinning discs in opposite directions that you drive around in a half circle before being launched through another glider section to a split antigrav path that loops around before coming back together and spiral back to the finish line.

RagnarokX

I didn't do battle mode much, but it's a shame if they really removed the individual levels. I understand though, honestly, considering the massive scope of the rest of the game and how even with half the game being retro-levels, most of them have been heavily retooled and repurposed.

To be fair the most of the arenas they had in the past 2 Mario karts sucked major ass. The tracks they picked in Mario Kart 8 for battle mode will probably be an improvement.

Do we know if the new Rainbow Road is a 3 lap track or one of those long 1 lap tracks?

It's too short to be a 1-lapper.

goomba

Banned
with all the zero g stuff captain falcon should be a hidden character.

any word if one player can play on tv and one on gamepad screen? (like sonic and cod)

It's too short to be a 1-lapper.

I wondered that too but couldn't find any "section gate" in the footage, so I'm gonna assume it's a 3-lap track.

That's what I figured. I think it looks pretty cool from what I've seen so far. The N64 version also looks breathtaking (maybe even more so than the new one tbh - I love the train running by the track off and on).

any word if one player can play on tv and one on gamepad screen? (like sonic and cod)

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. :( I was bummed about it.

Nintendo should draw from that slow-mo kart customization section for some TV commercials. Hilarious.

*Oh my god the SNL Deep Thoughts bit killed me!

goomba

Banned
That's what I figured. I think it looks pretty cool from what I've seen so far. The N64 version also looks breathtaking (maybe even more so than the new one tbh - I love the train running by the track off and on).

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. :( I was bummed about it.

dam that sucks. It would have been a good demonstration of the bonus of two screens

Revven

The new RR is as simple as the SNES RR was and that's what kind of makes it... not as extravagant as we're used to for new RRs. I mean just look at Double Dash and Wii RRs, they certainly have a lot more twists and turns going on than the MK8 RR. MK8's RR looks too simple and not challenging. In fact, even MKDS' RR looks way more interesting than MK8's and that one's considered one of the weaker RRs.

Meanwhile RR64 looks amazing and sublime. The original RR64 wasn't challenging, it was meant to be a spectacle and that's sort of what the remake does but the remake also looks like it'll at least be more challenging than the original since there's no railing in some sections (most notably during anti-grav sections).

It's kind of weird how they hyped up the new RR to be... more special than the RR64 one with the whole "wait until you see the new one" (paraphrased) when it doesn't appear to be that way at all from the footage we've seen. Maybe it looks better on the TV and when you're actually racing through it? I don't know, it didn't really 'wow' me like the RR64 remake did.

Yeah, I was definitely more wow'ed by the N64 RR remake than the new one. To be fair, we haven't seen a full lap on it yet (unless I've missed it), so... it might be better. I mean, just based on the footage, it's still beautiful, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting from how they were hyping it up.

Meanwhile RR64 looks amazing and sublime. The original RR64 wasn't challenging, it was meant to be a spectacle and that's sort of what the remake does but the remake also looks like it'll at least be more challenging than the original since there's no railing in some sections (most notably during anti-grav sections).

It's kind of weird how they hyped up the new RR to be... more special than the RR64 one with the whole "wait until you see the new one" (paraphrased) when it doesn't appear to be that way at all from the footage we've seen. Maybe it looks better on the TV and when you're actually racing through it? I don't know, it didn't really 'wow' me like the RR64 remake did.

Unless I'm mistaken there is no gameplay footage of the new Rainbow Road AT ALL and Nintendo somehow chose the most bizarre camera angles to showcase it. At this point I cannot tell how the track actually “feels” like.

I also think this is a by-product of the pale colors used to simulate solar panels. If the colors were more vivid there would be more “wow” at first sight.

To be fair the most of the arenas they had in the past 2 Mario karts sucked major ass. The tracks they picked in Mario Kart 8 for battle mode will probably be an improvement.

Yeah, but Block Fort is the best. No reason why they couldn't have used that, it's literally four different colored blocks and grey cement.

Unless I'm mistaken there is no gameplay footage of the new Rainbow Road AT ALL and Nintendo somehow chose the most bizarre camera angles to showcase it. At this point I cannot tell how the track actually “feels” like.

I also think this is a by-product of the pale colors used to simulate solar panels. If the colors were more vivid there would be more “wow” at first sight.

If there's one thing I've hated about all the trailers is the annoying ass camera angles they insist on using. It gives you very little sense of how it will actually be to race on the courses. It's very un Nintendo like, but I suppose they are trying to capitalize on everyone's relentless slobbering over the graphics and taking the more cinematic route.

RagnarokX

I still think it's pretty wow as is. The space station theme is so awesome. I especially love the blooper space shuttle and the astrotoads floating around. When I first saw them in the Mario Kart online menus I thought it was cute and then they showed that that's where Rainbow Road is and I smiled. Like a more obvious version of what they did with Rainbow Road Wii.

Neiteio

Maybe it's more fitting for RR64 to be the "magical" one since it's the 32nd track sequentially (if you count all the nitro courses and then all of the retro courses). It's practically a new track anyways, taking out the railings here and there, adding boost rings and terrain deformation where the chomps now bounce on the track.

Excellent direct. Planned on getting the game early, though not necessarily day 1, but now I will. Not sure if I should get NSMBU or Pikmin 3. I plan on getting both at some point and don't know which one is better to have a retail copy of.

I'd grab Pikmin 3 retail, simply for collectibility sake.

Mory Dunz

RR64 is definitely more of a spectactle, but I don't know that I'd say the racing is more complicated than RR8 yet.

Besides from the added flying and bumpy ground, it's still basic turns as far as I can tell.

RR8 might have more depth. It's just not as shiny.

DaBoss

I've expressed how I felt about the new Rainbow Road vs the N64 one earlier and I agree with you guys:
Looking at the Rainbow Road video on the UK site, it seems pretty lackluster, the music included (well the guitar part is what is bothering me). The floating objects and its visuals look really nice and cool, but it doesn't seem like there is much happening there.

Now looking at the N64 Rainbow Road remake, that looks far better and is really interesting and has nice music.

The only part we don't really have a clue about is the portion after the flying section outside of that space station thing and before the final turn before the finish line.

Of course there is the underwhelming possibility that there is nothing much between there lol...

It seems like the main point of the course is to have two figure 8's.
We don't have any indication of a mirror mode yet do we?
No reason not to expect it.

RagnarokX

Yeah, but Block Fort is the best. No reason why they couldn't have used that, it's literally four different colored blocks and grey cement.

But Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 didn't have Block Fort. Using these tracks as battle arenas will probably be a step up from those games, maybe not as good as Block Fort, but I'll take any improvement.

Wunderdoo

Neo Member
Guys let's be honest, the most offensive thing about this battle mode is:

1. Royal Raceway is in the game
2. It isn't a battle course
3. The castle area was removed

After all these years, we could have been able to duke it out with 12 people around Peach's Castle. :(

If you check "Trending Now" on Yahoo, Mario Kart 8 is #2.

Who said no one paid attention to those directs? Or maybe it's just that Mario Kart is very very popular? If no one knows what a Wii U is, at least they will now know that they need it to play the newest Mario Kart.....

Lumyst

This has to be one of the most creative things I've seen in a while. Really felt that Big N magic, and it feels wonderful! May 30 can't get here soon enough.

Hah, I feel something different about this one too! My last Mario Kart game was Double Dash for the Gamecube. I remember as a kid, I felt Mario Kart 64 was the mere spinoff of Super Mario 64, I had no idea that "the spinoff" got to be so prominent over the years ;-) Nintendo seems to have put a lot of energy into making and polishing up this game and I'm very eager to get my hands on it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

How cute is this? I mean c'mon. I want a plushie.

On a serious note, imagine a Mario Pixar movie.

Only in my dreams

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Apologies in advance if mentioned already but I was filling out the MK8 intent to purchase survey on Club Nintendo and for the "How did you hear about this game" question, the very first option is trial.

Wonder if that means there's a demo coming, not that anyone should still need any convincing.

Apologies in advance if mentioned already but I was filling out the MK8 intent to purchase survey on Club Nintendo and for the "How did you hear about this game" question, the very first option is trial.

Wonder if that means there's a demo coming, not that anyone should still need any convincing.

IIRC, that's a standard option, regardless of whether the game has a demo or not.

BM8

Neo Member
The 64 RR, so far, seems to have more of a magical feeling than mk8's, i'd still have to wait and see for myself. Regardless, I'm eager to see how mk8's rainbow road plays. It seems different than any course we've played before, especially with the space center in the middle thats like a roulette.

When I play MK7, i actually prefer the SNES RR since its just a lot more fun to whip around on, even though mk7's RR is better looking.

Also, that Dolphin Shoals track is classy, I almost feel the need to rent a tux to feel comfortable while playing it.

Regarding Battle Mode. It would of been great to see a course where you can go a safer route, while riding on the wall that circles the track, but other players can throw shells that go up the ramp, and bounce around vertically, countering that safety. It just seems if Nintendo made new arenas, they would want to make 8 new ones, and that would be a huge under taking, and probably couldnt make the deadline. I've yet to play Battle mode online in mk7, always races, so im not really affected by it. It's still there in some form, and I'm sure ill jump into it every now and then.

Top Bottom