• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

What the fuck did I just watch.

ib1wFNV3nuq7rF.gif

You know what you saw.

RagnarokX

Regarding the new Rainbow Road: "That's how I would expect a Raibow Road to look if they were going by the book."

Eh. Honestly this Rainbow Road is the least "by the book" Rainbow Road yet. By the book Rainbow Road would just be a mostly featureless rainbow track floating in space. This version really shakes things up with the space station theme.

SMK-SNES
qFvougT.png

MK64-N64
goFeUnF.jpg

MKDD-GCN
Uc54W9B.png

xxJladC.png
o48rkpj.png

MKSS-GBA
3EFgcRZ.png

MKDS-DS
GM9w3iQ.jpg

BWeLovJ.png

MKWii-Wii
XiYlWfV.jpg

29a5vCv.jpg

MK7-MK7
r7a13mO.jpg

BOBaDSR.png

MK7-SNES
FQsR8YV.png

MK8-N64
wHGvkcO.png

MK8-MK8
gSsBQQv.jpg

4jHJU2u.jpg

vEqLRT5.jpg

The new Mario Kart 8 Rainbow Road is the most distinct one by far. The track layout itself doesn't look any less complex than past Rainbow Roads and is obviously more complex than Rainbow Road 64 remake. The main thing making it different is they went for a more realistic futuristic space theme rather than something more abstract.

Until I see an uncut lap from the driver's perspective, it's hard to make a judgement. But from what we've seen, I would still say MK7 has by far the most variety, and is the most interesting and well designed.

XaosWolf

I'm loving the new Rainbow Road. But I'd love it even better if it transformed in some way between laps.

Won't know until we see it played or play it ourselves. =/

The new Rainbow Road looks a tad sterile. The station doesn't do much much to contrast against the empty darkness of space and planet earth looks washed out.

Terrell

The video seemed a tad too goofy at times, but the actual things announced? HOLY SHIT.

And I have to say, best music I've seen from a Nintendo game in a while, makes me very happy!

The new Mario Kart 8 Rainbow Road is the most distinct one by far. The track layout itself doesn't look any less complex than past Rainbow Roads and is obviously more complex than Rainbow Road 64 remake. The main thing making it different is they went for a more realistic futuristic space theme rather than something more abstract.

I'd guess they weren't speaking aesthetically, because yeah, the theme is fairly different...besides the whole track in space thing :p

But gameplay wise, it looks to be pretty unremarkable and doesn't look to be drastically different in terms of track design, particularly with the developer's comments in mind. Which is why I'm thinking there's more to it that we haven't seen yet

-PXG-

The new RR is the most creative yet. I think people are just upset that it isn't as whimsical and fantastical as previous versions. Past RR's were mere...well...rainbow roads in space. Abstract, minimalistic yet ethereal. This one is grounded in an actual location, that being a space station. There is an element of realism, thus less is left to the imagination, thus that is why people feel it is lacking.

I like it. If only background itself had more celestial objects in it or if there were even more space craft floating, perhaps the sheer density and quantity of visual flair would be enough.

I would have liked to see something bizarre. Perhaps the combination of traversing nebulas and black holes along with digital, cyber and pixelated objects. Think of it as the the track itself being at the point in which reality and cyber space collide. You could have all sorts of celestial, cosmic and digital objects and effects on screen. Basically, Final Destination from Smash, but even more epic and colorful.

Yagami_Sama

Another great Nintendo Direct. I hope that they keep this standard .
And thanks to this my hype for the E3 presentation is higher than before.

And Mario Kart looks so, so awesome that I could not wait any more.

Good job Nintendo in creating even more hype for this game.

DaBoss

Calling the new Rainbow Road complex is being generous to it. From what I can tell, it is basically two figure 8's attached by some floating space station with 2 flying sections. and the turns themselves seem really simple as well. Seems to be the simplest 3D one in ferms of design.

it definitely looks cool, but the track design itself seems lackluster with pretty much no obstacles. But that may not be a bad thing, I hated MK7's Rainbow Road which is the mosf complex one.

Coolwhip

Banned
I'm sure sites like IGN think so. They wrote 2 short paragraphs on the bundle and updated their list of Mario Kart 8 tracks.

Haha, yep. It's pretty obvious IGN is trying their best to keep a low profile on MK8. One youtube video, 2 small articles after this massive blowout. Childish really.

Beth Cyra

They cut the King and yet have a Metal Mario and a Metal Peach? He's fucking Luigi's main rival. How could they cut King Boo?

Seriously, FUCK YOU Nintendo.

Schnozberry

Yeah, I don't think many would challenge the idea that this game has the worst MK roster since 64.

I would be floored if this wasn't on purpose just because they have the ability to cash in on DLC with track and character packs. You know you're buying it. There isn't any point in lying about it.

kizmah

Still can't get over how amazing the lighting in Moo Moo Meadows looks. It's like a painting in motion. Or...poetry in motion.

Top Bottom