• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Beth Cyra

I would be floored if this wasn't on purpose just because they have the ability to cash in on DLC with track and character packs. You know you're buying it. There isn't any point in lying about it.

I really don't think this is the case.

No character outside of King Boo is a significant hold out as far as the typical Mario Kart Racer goes (and he does sit out of the handheld titles), if they were going to do this then it would make sense to hold out on Rosalina like they are doing with Mario Golf.

I mean the amount of assholes who are super salty over King Boo, and even more those of us who would buy him as DLC have to be very low.

Hasney

If you get a super horn, you hold on to it for dear life and try to fight your way to the front. There can be no other way.

BowieZ

Banned
But we've seen pretty much the whole track:
vEqLRT5.jpg

You start out in the station before the figure 8, go through the figure 8 which launches you through a glider section to a circular station with spinning discs in opposite directions that you drive around in a half circle before being launched through another glider section to a split antigrav path that loops around before coming back together and spiral back to the finish line.
Isn't there a second space station not seen here? I think the footage on the website cuts out half the track in order to fit in the finish line.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't particularly mind, though; I'm sure it will be fun and incredibly beautiful in standard third person view.

Schnozberry

I really don't think this is the case.

No character outside of King Boo is a significant hold out as far as the typical Mario Kart Racer goes (and he does sit out of the handheld titles), if they were going to do this then it would make sense to hold out on Rosalina like they are doing with Mario Golf.

I mean the amount of assholes who are super salty over King Boo, and even more those of us who would buy him as DLC have to be very low.

There's like a half dozen Kong characters. I think they'd be fools not to cash in on character packs. They are the one thing they can sell that doesn't lead to gameplay breaking stuff.

Beth Cyra

There's like a half dozen Kong characters. I think they'd be fools not to cash in on character packs. They are the one thing they can sell that doesn't lead to gameplay breaking stuff.

A Kong pack I could possibly see, but that pretty much wraps it up in a 1'n Done senario and has zero chance to include the King.

If there was going to be Packs, it should have been a whole Metal Pack with Mario/Luigi/Peach/Rosalina and allowed character like King Boo in. Same goes for the Koopalings who would have made an excellent pack.

Schnozberry

A Kong pack I could possibly see, but that pretty much wraps it up in a 1'n Done senario and has zero chance to include the King.

If there was going to be Packs, it should have been a whole Metal Pack with Mario/Luigi/Peach/Rosalina and allowed character like King Boo in. Same goes for the Koopalings who would have made an excellent pack.

If they are willing to go outside the Mushroom Kingdom cast, they have lots of options. It's found money. I don't know why they wouldn't do it.

Beth Cyra

If they are willing to go outside the Mushroom Kingdom cast, they have lots of options. It's found money. I don't know why they wouldn't do it.

There 8 games in and haven't done so yet, and there is nothing I've seen that makes me believe they would even consider it. I wouldn't complain (though, again I think the likely hood of the King showing up is small) as more unique characters are most certainly not a bad thing.

Berordn

I would be floored if this wasn't on purpose just because they have the ability to cash in on DLC with track and character packs. You know you're buying it. There isn't any point in lying about it.

I actually wonder if announcing the Mario Golf DLC before release was their way of testing the waters for announcing Mario Kart 8 DLC. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been an interview where they flat out deny the possibility of DLC like they have in the past.

It's not a sign of anything, but it does seem a little curious.

HUELEN10

Finally saw the whole direct and looked at all the courses and everything...

My hyped has gone down; the cups seem to not be as strong as prior entries. The video also did not address my one concern: if it will have a MK:SC-styled quick-run mode or at least the VS mode from Wii where you can just go with any course. I think this alone will make or break the game for me as far as replay value goes.

Hyped a lot, but just a little less than before. That direct was awesome though.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, I haven't seen the video yet, but Rainbow Road takes place on a space station? The hell? If that's true, my excitement for the game has plummeted quite a bit.

Berordn

Wait, I haven't seen the video yet, but Rainbow Road takes place on a space station? The hell? If that's true, my excitement for the game has plummeted quite a bit.

A very Marioesque space station with a lot of classic Mario icons (in space), but yes. I actually think it's pretty neat - we get Mario in Space a lot but very rarely do they actually adhere to the theme of somewhat realistic space technology.

You can see a minute of it on the tracks page. The course seems to be a typical Rainbow Road style course, so in the end it doesn't really seem like that big a departure.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A very Marioesque space station with a lot of classic Mario icons (in space), but yes. I actually think it's pretty neat - we get Mario in Space a lot but very rarely do they actually adhere to the theme of somewhat realistic space technology.

You can see a minute of it on the tracks page. The course seems to be a typical Rainbow Road style course, so in the end it doesn't really seem like that big a departure.

Okay, admittedly that looks better than what I was expecting, but there''s just something off about rainbow road being a space station. I dunno, maybe I was just used to previous RR stages where everything was more ethereal and space like.

Qurupeke

Despite the ugly roster, it looks like a great game. Possibly the besta Mario Kart. I just hope its online features will be successful, unlike the Communities in MK7.

Robin64

If we're talking characters packs as DLC, I want a Diamond City pack.

Mona
Jimmy T
9-Volt
Kat

Heck, Diamond City has even appeared in Mario Kart before courtesy of the Arcade GP games.

Terrell

.... wait, hold up, already with the DLC talk? No wonder publishers think they can pull day-1 DLC crap on us, some of you are LITERALLY asking for it.

What? The best music in years from Nintendo came out just two months ago.

David Wise is good at what he does, it compositionally wonderful, but that music performance in the Direct grabbed me by the BALLS. There's nothing I've heard in the DKCTF soundtrack that's that overtly exiting.

Berordn

Okay, admittedly that looks better than what I was expecting, but there''s just something off about rainbow road being a space station. I dunno, maybe I was just used to previous RR stages where everything was more ethereal and space like.

You're definitely not the only person to have that reaction, which I think is the main reason why they so heavily revamped Rainbow Road 64. They manage to have both a fairly traditional Rainbow Road and a thematically unique Rainbow Road, and they both end up feeling fresh.

I do adore the fantasy redesign that Rainbow Road 64 got, so I'm glad they managed to pack both in.

.... wait, hold up, already with the DLC talk? No wonder publishers think they can pull day-1 DLC crap on us, some of you are LITERALLY asking for it.

David Wise is good at what he does, it compositionally wonderful, but that music performance in the Direct grabbed me by the BALLS. There's nothing I've heard in the DKCTF soundtrack that's that overtly exiting.

I liked the performances, but the actual compositions of the tracks are exactly as I would imagine an orchestrated Mario Kart to sound like. It's decent I guess, but very little of my attention will be focused on it.

Robin64

Thing is, Mario Kart is an ideal candidate. We only get one Mario Kart per console and so have to wait until an entirely new console is out before we get to play on more tracks and stuff. Wouldn't it be nice if we just got more tracks for the Kart we already have? Treat Kart 8 as a bit more of a service than just a standalone game. And not right away, no, but maybe eight months to a year down the line.

Plus there's a huge difference between "Here's some content we deliberately left out of the game to sell to you on the first day" and "Oh hey, 6 months later and people are still playing our game a lot, let's make them a couple of new tracks"

Terrell

Thing is, Mario Kart is an ideal candidate. We only get one Mario Kart per console and so have to wait until an entirely new console is out before we get to play on more tracks and stuff. Wouldn't it be nice if we just got more tracks for the Kart we already have? Treat Kart 8 as a bit more of a service than just a standalone game. And not right away, no, but maybe eight months to a year down the line.

Plus there's a huge difference between "Here's some content we deliberately left out of the game to sell to you on the first day" and "Oh hey, 6 months later and people are still playing our game a lot, let's make them a couple of new tracks"

After-market/post-production DLC is fine and I'm OK with it.

But I've already seen in this thread people suggest the former and not the latter, such as the roster being intentionally terrible or the lack of battle mode arenas to "justify" DLC later (read: intentionally holding back content), and people actually sighing in relief and gratitude at such a possibility.

It frightens me that DLC is an expectation instead of a great bonus to a fully-featured title in its own right, especially when it's framed in the context of purposefully withheld content like it has been in this thread.

Teknoman

I dont think Rainbow Road 8 is entirely on the REXA space station. All of the other stages have a good amount of diverse sections to them, and you've got anti-gravity + gliding to take advantage of. I'm sure it'll have some open sections.

Personally i'm surprised they didnt introduce one of those pixies from 3Dworld as a racer, or use something from that kingdom as a track.

deleted

What can we expect to be unlockables?

Do you think there will be another cup waiting for players? More characters, kart parts, modes? Since they started having more unlocks with Double Dash, did every version have character unlocks?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I wouldn't expect an entire unknown new cup to be unlockable, but the menu looks like there's still some space. So maybe there'll be an option to play all cups in succession like in Double Dash.

Robin64

I honestly think we've seen everything. Part of the PR for this, to get people hyped, just seems to be "Show them how awesome it all is!". I am absolutely sure that the only thing we haven't seen is a few customisation options.

What's up with Nintendo spoiling unlockables before their games even come out?

They did this with a certain character in SM3DW, there's unlikely to be any secret characters we won't know about in SSB4, and now the whole roster of MK8 has been spoiled by Nintendo. What happened to the days of not knowing and finding out for yourself when you play the game?

I don't mind the odd reveal of a few new faces, but I'm pretty bummed that every one of them has been spoiled by Nintendo already. Just gotta hope for decent DLC characters now.

Exile20

If you get a super horn, you hold on to it for dear life and try to fight your way to the front. There can be no other way.

So everyone knows that the blue shell causes an explosion. So sometimes when like a group is in front a blue shell can take them out easily. Now in mk8 everyone in that situation will be hoping someone has the horn.

QUOTE=Hasney;110195356]If you get a super horn, you hold on to it for dear life and try to fight your way to the front. There can be no other way.

So everyone knows that the blue shell causes an explosion. So sometimes when like a group is in front a blue shell can take them out easily. Now in mk8 everyone in that situation will be hoping someone has the horn.[/QUOTE]

That feeling when...no one has a horn...

What's up with Nintendo spoiling unlockables before their games even come out?

They did this with a certain character in SM3DW, there's unlikely to be any secret characters we won't know about in SSB4, and now the whole roster of MK8 has been spoiled by Nintendo. What happened to the days of not knowing and finding out for yourself when you play the game?

I don't mind the odd reveal of a few new faces, but I'm pretty bummed that every one of them has been spoiled by Nintendo already. Just gotta hope for decent DLC characters now.

Smash 3DS will most definitely have secret unlockables at the rate they're revealing characters. In fact I'd almost guarantee everything we've seen so far is the starting lineup.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Recent Direct / videos YouTube stats, from NA Nintendo Profile

As of 11:21 GMT

Super Smash Bros. Direct 4.8.14 - 1,158,409 - 26,878 likes / 235 dislikes
Tomodachi life Direct 4.10.14 - 541,776 - 12,077 likes / 243 dislikes
Introducing Tomodachi Life 4.10.14 - 1,027,931 - 1,825 likes / 97 dislikes
Tomodachi Life: Weird Dreams featuring Shaq 4.25.14 - 118,871 views - 1,001 likes / 160 dislikes
Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E32014 4.29.14 - 558,783 views - 18,624 likes / 346 dislikes
Mario Kart 8 Direct 4.30.14 - 258,038 views - 9,488 likes / 118 dislikes

Zalman

Recent Direct / videos YouTube stats, from NA Nintendo Profile

As of 11:21 GMT

Super Smash Bros. Direct 4.8.14 - 1,158,409 - 26,878 likes / 235 dislikes
Tomodachi life Direct 4.10.14 - 541,776 - 12,077 likes / 243 dislikes
Introducing Tomodachi Life 4.10.14 - 1,027,931 - 1,825 likes / 97 dislikes
Tomodachi Life: Weird Dreams featuring Shaq 4.25.14 - 118,871 views - 1,001 likes / 160 dislikes
Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E32014 4.29.14 - 558,783 views - 18,624 likes / 346 dislikes
Mario Kart 8 Direct 4.30.14 - 258,038 views - 9,488 likes / 118 dislikes
The Smash direct seems to be a major success. The Greninja reveal alone has over a million views.

Everything looks amazing.

But Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach? Wut. :/

There better be a bunch more characters still to reveal, because the new additions are pretty lackluster so far. Can anyone say derivative?

Smash 3DS will most definitely have secret unlockables at the rate they're revealing characters. In fact I'd almost guarantee everything we've seen so far is the starting lineup.

I guess that's something if true. They sure spoiled everything before Brawl came out, and it's felt that way prior to SSB4 coming out. I know they need to get fans excited for new stuff, but they didn't need to spoil the SM3DW character, and some of the ones in MK8 are so underwhelming, they would have been best left unspoiled.

Top Bottom