• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Direct now online

Robin64

I'm mostly surprised (though not really) that Nintendo are still pushing Metal characters as entire characters. Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach in this, Gold Mario in Mario Golf..

For Kart, they should have just had the option to Metal-ize anyone. You want Metal Lakitu? Fine!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm mostly surprised (though not really) that Nintendo are still pushing Metal characters as entire characters. Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach in this, Gold Mario in Mario Golf..

For Kart, they should have just had the option to Metal-ize anyone. You want Metal Lakitu? Fine!

New cup unlocked! Metal cup!
It's just the Mushroom cup covered in metal!

I agree with this fully. I'm not happy about all these useless Metal/Gold characters. Look at the roster in Mario Sluggers - why can't we have something close to that for MK? :L

Mss_FullRoster.png

You can even change the colours of Yoshi, Toad and the Nokis (maybe others too).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I agree with this fully. I'm not happy about all these useless Metal/Gold characters. Look at the roster in Mario Sluggers - why can't we have something close to that for MK? :L

Mss_FullRoster.png

You can even change the colours of Yoshi, Toad and the Nokis (maybe others too).

Should point out that Sluggers just uses the character models from a Mario library that Nintendo has like Mario Party does so the developers just had to give them animations. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand uses its own models so the developers had to make everyone from scratch.

Should point out that Sluggers just uses the character models from a Mario library that Nintendo has like Mario Party does so the developers just had to give them animations. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand uses its own models so the developers had to make everyone from scratch.

Then the easier approach of copy/pasting Peach/Mario/Baby Peach to make PG Peach/Metal Mario/Baby Rosalina makes a lot of sense.

Doesn't make it any less infuriating :( The game looks great, it really does. I know they've put a hell of a lot into this. Just wish they could have put that little bit more for some better characters too.

NeonZ

I guess that's something if true. They sure spoiled everything before Brawl came out, and it's felt that way prior to SSB4 coming out. I know they need to get fans excited for new stuff, but they didn't need to spoil the SM3DW character, and some of the ones in MK8 are so underwhelming, they would have been best left unspoiled.

Brawl's unlockable characters aside from the third party ones weren't spoiled before release. The issue was that the game didn't have simultaneous release, so by the time it was released outside of Japan the line up was already completely known unofficially (actually, due to breaking street dates, there were shots of the complete character selection screen even before release).

Mario Kart usually does reveal the entire line up before release though. They did that with MK7.

Brawl's unlockable characters aside from the third party ones weren't spoiled before release. The issue was that the game didn't have simultaneous release, so by the time it was released outside of Japan the line up was already completely known.

Mario Kart usually does spoil the entire line up before release though. They did that with MK7.

Was so long ago now, I couldn't remember exactly how it all came out. But the Smash Dojo spoilt a lot of things prior to it coming out. Was hoping they'd be a lot quieter this time. If they do keep some unlockable characters in SSB4 under wraps till we get our hands on it, that would be great. But the fact they've done it with MK games and SM3DW doesn't rub the right way.

Daouzin

Then the easier approach of copy/pasting Peach/Mario/Baby Peach to make PG Peach/Metal Mario/Baby Rosalina makes a lot of sense.

Doesn't make it any less infuriating :( The game looks great, it really does. I know they've put a hell of a lot into this. Just wish they could have put that little bit more for some better characters too.

I dunno, I've been blown away by the number of characters. I think the roster is just fine. I care more about new tracks/DLC tracks than anything else.

Liethe

I know people hate the baby princess's but I love them. Dat pacifier in their mouth
For me at least, it's not the princesses specifically - it's all the babies. Could do without them but I'm not going to lose sleep over them being in either. *shrug* Overall I feel the roster stuff is insignificant in a MK game. The "main" characters will always be there, which is what most people care about. Either that or their Miis, so really any extra characters are just fluff. And I like the Koopa Kids... it's about time they got put into something.

In other news, hype levels intensifying...

For me at least, it's not the princesses specifically - it's all the babies. Could do without them but I'm not going to lose sleep over them being in either. *shrug* Overall I feel the roster stuff is insignificant in a MK game. The "main" characters will always be there, which is what most people care about. Either that or their Miis, so really any extra characters are just fluff. And I like the Koopa Kids... it's about time they got put into something.

In other news, hype levels intensifying...
Yea I agree the roster is just icing but people have so many different opinions. Its weird because I always consider the baby's a totally different character. Based of this board baby mario is mario. Not to me lol. He dont even look like him!

RagnarokX

Here's how I see the metal and baby characters:

Characters like Mario and Peach are iconic and very popular. Some players would like to play as these characters but don't because they prefer weight classes that these characters are not in. Baby versions give you an option to play as Mario or Peach as a lightweight and metal versions give you an option to play as Mario or Peach as a heavyweight. They've made regular Peach a medium weight character this time where traditionally she's been light.

Characters like Mario and Peach are iconic and very popular. Some players would like to play as these characters but don't because they prefer weight classes that these characters are not in. Baby versions give you an option to play as Mario or Peach as a lightweight and metal versions give you an option to play as Mario or Peach as a heavyweight.

Good point.

I favor the lightweights, I almost exclusively play as Toad.

It obviously factors into racestyle.

Also, I read a post where someone wondered if Nintendo just ran out of ideas.

I couldn't have laughed harder, I am sure characters like Kamek, etc... crossed their mind and it would have been easy to include them.

They just didn't want to for reasons or because they are weird.

plank

Recent Direct / videos YouTube stats, from NA Nintendo Profile

As of 11:21 GMT

Super Smash Bros. Direct 4.8.14 - 1,158,409 - 26,878 likes / 235 dislikes
Tomodachi life Direct 4.10.14 - 541,776 - 12,077 likes / 243 dislikes
Introducing Tomodachi Life 4.10.14 - 1,027,931 - 1,825 likes / 97 dislikes
Tomodachi Life: Weird Dreams featuring Shaq 4.25.14 - 118,871 views - 1,001 likes / 160 dislikes
Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E32014 4.29.14 - 558,783 views - 18,624 likes / 346 dislikes
Mario Kart 8 Direct 4.30.14 - 258,038 views - 9,488 likes / 118 dislikes

Play Nintendo, MK8 were back to back and unexpected.

I'm loving the new Rainbow Road. But I'd love it even better if it transformed in some way between laps.

Won't know until we see it played or play it ourselves. =/

Seems the green and red arrows will switch around on the little circular station. It's something!

But for the next game they should think about going with Sonic Transformed style courses.

...Daisy is looking up nervously when a blue shell is circling overhead.

It's minor, but that's the sort of tiny polish that impresses me.

I love how the characters seem to have a general sense of awareness around them. Throughout all the trailers characters are seen keeping their eyes on their opponents as they race around. It's a really great touch.

Azure J

If we're talking characters packs as DLC, I want a Diamond City pack.

Mona
Jimmy T
9-Volt
Kat

Heck, Diamond City has even appeared in Mario Kart before courtesy of the Arcade GP games.

These guys plus Ashley, Captain Syrup, Wart, Mouser, Dixie & Diddy Kong would be pretty godlike.

Daouzin

Seems the green and red arrows will switch around on the little circular station. It's something!

But for the next game they should think about going with Sonic Transformed style courses.

I like Sonic Transformed but the tracks are too much of a spectacle and their change on the last lap too drastic.

No one in my group of friends ever cares to play it because there's always a person or two that hasn't spent enough time with it and will automatically lose because of the last lap. I always prefer games that reward general competence and adaptability over time spent.

Albo

If you have a burning DK, consult your doctor immediately.

A large dose of tropical freeze should be prescribed

Tomodachi Life: Weird Dreams featuring Shaq 4.25.14 - 118,871 views - 1,001 likes / 160 dislikes
Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E32014 4.29.14 - 558,783 views - 18,624 likes / 346 dislikes

Don't forget there's also EU and JP versions of these directs.

I wonder what the properties of the super horn are. How long it'll last, how many uses do you get and whether you lose it if you get hit...

Tom_Cody

This feels like those old promo vhs in a good way.

this feels like those old promo VHS tapes

i came to post the same thing :3 i love it.

This Direct is hilarious. It reminds of something you'd get on a VHS tape from Nintendo Power in the mid 1990s.

Yup loved it. I hope they do something equally weird for E3.
That is exactly the vibe I got. Good stuff, though a little cheesy.

I get the sense that the earlier directs were almost a prototype of this. This felt pretty directly like an infomercial, where as past directs have seemed more like news bulletins. I feel like this is something that they can keep pushing out there for the next few months, almost like a definitive long-form advertisement for the title.

I assume that we will continue to get normal directs in the future, but maybe they will also start to do 'launch' directs like this that are focused on specific titles and are meant to live with them over the course of their sales lives.

I don't get the hate for the koopalings, they are fucking amazing to be in there finally. ANd they got rid of fucking baby bowser, so thats a plus.
Now Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach, yeah, I understand people hating them.
Really hope there are unlocks, or DLC in the future. If the DLC is like the Mario Golf one, we are in for a treat.

The music part was amazing. Mario Kart 8 title theme packs a real punch when done with real instruments (you can hear the synthesized version in youtube and it's simply not as good).

And lol at the voices used in the spanish direct. It was only like 3 voices in repeat and they were clearly people that new fluent spanish (but was not their native language) and were working at that moment in Nintendo Germany HQ.
So shitty, but it reminded me of those VHS you got about Sega and Nintendo in the magazines (although those ones were some times realle well voiced).

georly

Even if this game ends up not being the best mario kart, gameplay-wise, they've certainly put more work into this game than any other mario kart ever. It's insane. The graphics, the LIVE music, the attention to detail, the work put into balancing, it's crazy. They even finally have a counter to blue shell, if you're lucky enough to get it. I'm incredibly impressed. Nintendo clearly went ALL out for this game. They know how important it is.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I agree wholeheartedly.

Wario universe needs more representation.

I know it's not "Wario Kart" but c'mon, there's nothing wrong with a little "expanded universe" content every now and then.

When Donkey Kong characters are included I think Wario characters also possess the same charm Mario Kart exudes. I wouldn't mind Ashley or Kat and Ana myself. Those Taxi drivers would also fit in.

I am surprised they haven't used Wario's Warioware outfit. He does have his own bike with his own biker gear.

Which begs another question. Is Wario's Bike returning?

Overall, characters in a game like this mean very little to me, but I would take Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Emerald Luigi, and Diamond Daisy over those stupid, useless babies any day.

I like Sonic Transformed but the tracks are too much of a spectacle and their change on the last lap too drastic.

No one in my group of friends ever cares to play it because there's always a person or two that hasn't spent enough time with it and will automatically lose because of the last lap. I always prefer games that reward general competence and adaptability over time spent.

Yes I'd be wary of that myself, but I wouldn't mind more single lap tracks if they look like Mount Wario.

georly

Overall, characters in a game like this mean very little to me, but I would take Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Emerald Luigi, and Diamond Daisy over those stupid, useless babies any day.

While I agree that I, too, dislike the baby characters, there is DEFINITELY an audience for them in the little girl department. I know, first-hand, that little girls love the baby characters. This is nintendo's big family game, so they have to appeal to Moms, Dads, and kids of all ages. We, adult men/women on gaf, might not care for them, but they're not for us.

While I agree that I, too, dislike the baby characters, there is DEFINITELY an audience for them in the little girl department. I know, first-hand, that little girls love the baby characters. This is nintendo's big family game, so they have to appeal to Moms, Dads, and kids of all ages. We, adult men/women on gaf, might not care for them, but they're not for us.

Do people consider that maybe the younger audience, especially girls, would love to play as the baby princesses?

Of course. I don't have issues with "babies" themselves, I just wish they made them their own characters rather than baby versions of existing characters.

MysteryM

Finally got around to pre-ordering MK8. my wii u pile of shame is mounting :(

Zelda, Zombie U, Pikmin 3 and now this!

I'm still planning on playing every single one.

I just want the feeling of old skool battle mode and that would be enough.

Characters like Mario and Peach are iconic and very popular. Some players would like to play as these characters but don't because they prefer weight classes that these characters are not in. Baby versions give you an option to play as Mario or Peach as a lightweight and metal versions give you an option to play as Mario or Peach as a heavyweight. They've made regular Peach a medium weight character this time where traditionally she's been light.

Was fully with you until your last sentence. Peach has always been a medium weight character.

69wpm

I think the like-dislike-ratio is also interesting. Ordered by most well received directs:

Super Smash Bros. Direct 4.8.14: 114:1
Mario Kart 8 Direct 4.30.14: 80:1
Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E32014: 54:1
Tomodachi life Direct 4.10.14: 50:1
Introducing Tomodachi Life 4.10.14: 19:1
Tomodachi Life: Weird Dreams featuring Shaq 4.25.14: 6:1

Top Bottom