• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Griss

My take so far:

It's obviously a great piece of DLC, and great value. After 6 months, it really refreshes the game, though funnily enough I feel like there were so many tracks already that the game didn't really NEED the news ones. (Which is a good thing!)

Characters: 4/10 - Two reskins and Link. Gets points for Link because he's a cruiser and fits in far better than I thought. I enjoy his boost jump animations, too.

Kart parts: 9/10 - Love the F-Zero kart, which cleverly hides the wheels so it looks like it has none. Love the B-Dasher, that's instantly one of my favourites. Link's bike looks awesome, shame I'm crap with it. And the ATV isn't bad either. Would have been perfect if there had been one more set of wheels - I can rarely find a set I like.

Tracks: 9/10 - So many good tracks! Dragon Driftway is the standout to me, but it feels like there's 7 standouts, and most are 'advanced' courses, with lots of twisty turns, which is great. The only one I don't like is Rainbow Road. I've never liked that track, even when I first played it, what, 20 years ago? And it's no more fun now than it was then. Also, 3 rainbow roads in one game? Really? But they've prettied it up nicely, and that's the only dud. The F-Zero and Hyrule changes (boost strip, rupees) show that this was more than a quick cash-in.

Very, very happy with this. Super content.

Exile20

Has anyone just tried playing regular online?

Surprisingly, everyone has the DLC there apparently, as I've not had a single non-DLC race, and I've raced with about 5 different sets of people tonight. Very impressed- was worried before that they won't be accessible online.

Also, they seem to have fixed the points system.

Well done Nintendo EAD- best DLC ever made!

1 to 1 attachment

Before I left to class, I decided to take this screenshot. Enjoy!
iboN9bNMY6mO3I.jpg

sorry if it's big, I'm on mobile

Has anyone just tried playing regular online?

Surprisingly, everyone has the DLC there apparently, as I've not had a single non-DLC race, and I've raced with about 5 different sets of people tonight. Very impressed- was worried before that they won't be accessible online.
Yep, it works exactly how they said it would. Thank goodness.

You can press + while on the screen with Race, Battle, and Custom to choose if you want to play with DLC or not BTW.

Grizzo

"B", I don't know who you are but I hate you so much right now.

Edit: I don't get the hate for SNES Rainbow Road. It has always been my fav RR track

Forkball

Be in 6th place

Get knocked off the course

Can't move as Lakitu lowers you back onto the course

Get knocked off again instantly

Get 12th

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
i'm glad other people agree SNES rainbow road is trash

As I've said before, it's usually my favorite Rainbow Road, but this version of it isn't very good.

The point of SNES Rainbow Road is... don't fall off.

And it's now way too easy to stay on the track, since it's too wide and there are arrows warning you which way to turn.

But it's beautiful though, I'll give them that.

Grizzo

<3

What did I do to you? D :

I already forgot haha

But I think it was on the Rainbow Road track. I think you knocked me out of the road just before the finish line and I went from 4th to 9th in a matter of seconds, something like that.

But don't worry buddy I don't hate you anymore <3

Kade

Yay, three mushrooms! This should help.

*Use first mushroom; get red shelled immediately*

*Use second mushroom; get red shelled immediately*

*Use third mushroom; get red shelled immediately*

STOP!

Be in 6th place

Get knocked off the course

Can't move as Lakitu lowers you back onto the course

Get knocked off again instantly

Get 12th
This is really hard to read. It's one thing to not speak in compete sentences, but I don't even understand the narrative mode here. Second person?

Seik

Banned
This is really hard to read. It's one thing to not speak in compete sentences, but I don't even understand the narrative mode here. Second person?

It's pretty clear that he's describing his latest experience in a recent race.

Which is spot on with most races one would have. :p

Insaniac

My preliminary ranking of the new tracks. I imagine it will change as I play more, but nevertheless:

1. Ice Ice Outpost - Great new track, love all the branching paths and risky shortcuts
  2. Mute City - I hope people do some crazy things with time trials on this since it seems like you could be boosting the whole race
  3. Hyrule Castle - So much fanservice I kinda want Hyrule Warriors now
  4. Wario's Mines - I liked on Wii and I like it here
  5. Excitebike - Not as dynamic a track as I thought it'd be, but still quite fun
  6. Dragon track - Props for all the anti-grav on this one, but a pretty simple track overall
  7. SNES Rainbow Road - No strong feelings for this, dare I say there are now too many Rainbow Road variations in the game
  8. Yoshi's Circuit - Too many turns, and I felt the same way in DD

doit.gif

Top Bottom