• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Yep, I love this DLC! Aside from Cat Peach, she's hideous. At least she got completely new voice work, while Tanooki Mario only has a few new lines I think? He's more redeemable though because he's cute and not completely garish.

Cool, I shall join this tournament at some point! Haven't done one yet.

DLC done right. Holy moly.

Still disappointed with their choice for characters though.
So now we have...

Mario
Baby Mario
Metal Mario
Tanooki Mario

Peach
Baby Peach
Pink Gold Peach
Cat Peach

Do we really need 4 characters for Mario and Peach each?
Where the hell is Diddy Kong? Bowser Jr.? Koopa and Paratroopa? Etc.

Tracks are phenomenal. Best in the series.
Karts/the whole customization is the best in the series as well.
Character roster is the worst though. But that's okay.

image.php

NTom64

Had to laugh when I finished one of the cups as Cat Peach and the lineup was:

1st place: Cat Peach
2nd place: Baby Peach
3rd place: Peach

HEY GUYS I MADE A TOURNEY OF MY OWN

NEOGAF DLC NORMAL OT

0846 4490 5123 please feel free to join :)
No offense, but who's going to want to play Normal now that the VR system means that people can start grinding VR again? Frantic offers an experience you can't get in WWs but Normal really doesn't.

And yes, there's already a DLC tourney in the 2nd post.

Zia

This is beautiful. I would pay $10 for a pack like this every season, to be honest. I hope it does well enough that they decide to do a third DLC with traditional battle maps.

Link on his kit controls like an 18-wheeler, though. What a hoss.

jorgejjvr

No offense, but who's going to want to play Normal now that the VR system means that people can start grinding VR again? Frantic offers an experience you can't get in WWs but Normal really doesn't.

And yes, there's already a DLC tourney in the 2nd post.
Who cares about VR, it's about having fun with people, specially from here. Waiting in the normal DLC room. Anyone interested?

I'll rather play with you guys that WW

DarkOneX

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Addi

I'm watching the ghost of the current world record on Mute City, and wow, I didn't know about that short cut towards the end

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, grabbing something to eat and taking a break. Just dove right in as soon as it was downloaded after I got home.

Good stuff. I just hate that I'm not going to get much time to enjoy MK between PM 3.5 releasing tomorrow and Smash 4 next week.

Need to decide if I want to stick with that Bowser setup. It was hella fast but I'm not sure I liked the handling compared to my old Waluigi one. Hopefully we get some detailed stat breakdowns soon, that would help make a decision.

Forkball

Ok here's my track ratings:

2. Hyrule Circuit: Everything about this course is perfect. There are some tough turns, interesting hazards, and even a Zelda puzzle (hit the three switches to unlock the Master Sword ramp!). The music, sound effects, and smaller touches like having Deku Babas replace the Piranha Plants should put a smile on the face of any Zelda fan.

2. Dragon Driftway: I know a lot of people aren't listing this as one of their favorites, but I think this course is great. There's a lot of long turns, some of which can be a bit tricky visually. The aesthetic is also very unique for Mario in general. It doesn't have any real gimmicks, but it's a standard track done right.

3. Mute City: This is a pretty gimmicky course in many respects, but it's one of the best tracks to show off the zero gravity aspect of MK8 (something I felt a lot of the original courses failed to do). While not quite as fast as F-Zero, it does that franchise justice and is one of the most interesting MK courses..

4. Excitebike Track: I love Excitebike, so I was thrilled to learn there would be an MK course. Some might find it bland, but like the F-Zero course, it is an excellent translation of a series into MK. The random aspect makes is good for replay value and to catch people off guard. And as someone who loves to do tricks, this is the perfect track for that!

5. Wario's Gold Mine: MK Wii was my favorite MK game before MK8, so I'm glad to see more stages pop up (WHERE IS KOOPA CAPE). The original track felt like a rollercoaster, and there's a good mix of that feeling with the zero-G touches. It's pretty strange to actually hit the mine carts though to get a boost.

6. Ice Ice Outpost: I really like the idea of two parallel tracks that weave in and out. It makes for some good mind games for when you want to get away from your opponent so he can't red shell you to death. People can be pretty unpredictable on how they tackle this course, so it keeps you interested.

7. Yoshi Circuit: You may need thumb surgery after this race. The sheer amount of turns can be overwhelming, but I like that there's a course that just went crazy with them. I'd type more but owww....

8. SNES Rainbow Road: I admit it: I'm not a fan of SNES courses at all. While they have a charming visual style, the track design is seriously outdated as it was constrained by what the SNES can do. There are so many 90 degree turns that are often back to back. You really have to memorize the course instead of adapting to the situation. This is the only stage I don't like.

I can't see how anyone could be disappointed with what we got in this DLC. I do wonder how the Animal Crossing DLC is going to top or even match this one.

Also I love the stone tanuki trick, though I've only seen it once.

DaBoss

Yoshi's Circuit doesn't feel like it works well with MK8 mechanics. It was one of my favorite ones in Double Dash.

Excitebike Arena is pretty boring to race on.
I'm starting to think ice ice outpost's "shortcuts" are just there to taunt me. >_>
Getting on them is hard for all of them except one of them, but you can easily screw up on the ramp part on the easy one.

Now imagine that with 12 players.

Man, those short cuts in ice ice outpost are hard

I'm starting to think ice ice outpost's "shortcuts" are just there to taunt me. >_>
Only bother with the second one if you aren't using a sport bike. For the first and last one you're better off just charging up the orange MT since you have to go way out of your way to take it. Hell, if you firehop then you should skip the second one, too, and just charge up the orange MT and then firehop.

I can take them all though 'cuz I'm pro like that. :)

EDIT: So yes, they're just there to taunt you because they aren't worth it. lol

Zomba13

Japan still love Link:

Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah! Hyah!

Top Bottom