• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Fandangox

Here's were frantic becomes too much. I've been in first in every race for most of the time for the past 5 races or so. But always in the last lap everything happens so that I get screwed over. The game gets creative with ways to bring me down. All them blues come for me

Also do not forget to mention everyone getting bullet bills in second place

Roo

OP has been updated to include the Normal Mode Tournament for those who can't take Frantic's awesomeness

ikFjzyQIKaF5h.png

DLC IS MANDATORY TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT
DLC NORMAL MODE

Grizzo

Here's were frantic becomes too much. I've been in first in every race for most of the time for the past 5 races or so. But always in the last lap everything happens so that I get screwed over. The game gets creative with ways to bring me down. All them blues come for me

you can always switch to the Normal Tournament if you like

I'm in a Frantic mode, but I get what you mean, sometimes it can be overwhelming

gotta love Nintendo DLC

fast download/install this morning and everything works absolutly flawlessly.
The new tracks are great. The excitbike track is kinda wierd though.
love the music

edit: finally I have the mario kart of my dreams, the pick up truck is awesome. good bye, fellow yellow ATV

jorgejjvr

you can always switch to the Normal Tournament if you like

I'm in a Frantic mode, but I get what you mean, sometimes it can be overwhelming
I know I can, but there's no one there, that's the sad part. People only seem to play frantic for some reason :(. I feel like I'm the only soul try to get normal races going

Azure J

yoshi circuit is too intense

I almost voted for Toad's Turnpike just for you JC

Yoshi's Circuit pretty much says "oh you've been playing Mario Kart (8) for a long time now? Who cares, get fucked." I'm legitimately surprised at how that course could result in so many of the moments I've experienced so far. Dudes are there feeling like they won a Nobel Peace Prize if they manage to stay second to last for the entire race because "at least I didn't come in LAST!"

mktrOOp

Banned
Yeeees, I'm so happy right now. I know it sounds stupid, but I tried the Blue Falcon a few minutes ago with my Mii as a driver and I said to myself: "Wow, the Blue Falcon is so small, it looks like a stupid toy."

I was devastated because I wanted to create a Captain Falcon Mii together with the Captain Falcon outfit. Well, afterwards I tried the Blue Falcon with Bowser and I learned that heavy characters like DK or Bowser get bigger carts than characters like Toad or my Mii and in this case...the Blue Falcon looks awesome.
Now I've decided to create a new tall Mii and you know what? This Mii gets the bigger version of the Blue Falcon. :)

Watch out for Captian Falcon when his Amiboo arrives!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Fatass/Falcon/Slicks/Heavy Glider is actually pretty much a top tier combo.

I still prefer the pipe frame for its handling but it's still a perfectly viable combo.

I dunno I usually stick with Heavy/Cyber Slick/Sports Coupe or Dragster/Heavy Glider for the most speed and weight.

I dunno I usually stick with Heavy/Cyber Slick/Sports Coupe or Dragster/Heavy Glider for the most speed and weight.

With the Blue Falcon you lose 0.25 speed to go up from the 1.5 to 2.0 accel tier (There are 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, and 2.0 accel tiers, but no 1.75 accel tier because Nintendo). I think that's worth it, honestly, especially if you're playing with GAF in Frantic. It's personal preference, but it's definitely viable.

Raitaro

Isabelle is actually way more popular than Pit and Samus in terms of merchandise alone. She's a staple character for Nintendo now, especially in Japan. Animal Crossing is big.

Hold your tongue, knave.

Not to keep going on about this and get more flak for the effort, but apparently some people do in fact feel that Isabelle earns her spot. That's fully up to them of course, despite my personal indifference to her presence.

To be clear, I'm not denying Animal Crossing's popularity or even disputing its inclusion in MK8, but for me the Villager (+ the track) would have been sufficient (as the more canonical representation, compared to a character that I believe has only featured in one AC entry, the most recent one at that). In general, choosing non-Mario characters for such a series as this purely based on current popularity seems a bit shallow to me. This is especially the case if it's the first time ever for this to happen, and when it denies entry to more classic/iconic characters that could even have gained more mainstream popularity due to their inclusion. It's the same line of thinking that justifies the inclusion of the baby's and metal/suit variations, which to me seems like a very safe and focus testing inspired choice as well.

To each their own I guess; I'll certainly won't let it ruin this otherwise great game for me.

Grizzo

Yoshi's Circuit pretty much says "oh you've been playing Mario Kart (8) for a long time now? Who cares, get fucked." I'm legitimately surprised at how that course could result in so many of the moments I've experienced so far. Dudes are there feeling like they won a Nobel Peace Prize if they manage to stay second to last for the entire race because "at least I didn't come in LAST!"

Exactly haha you nailed it! That shortcut behind the waterfall just sent me off track, for instance.

I feel like this track might be the trickiest one of the whole game, but it's great to get that feeling of excitement five months after the game's release

Teknoman

So is it better to have a higher Accel. or higher speed?

EDIT: After I finish running all the tracks in SP, i'll jump into the normal room.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
With the Blue Falcon you lose 0.25 speed to go up from the 1.5 to 2.0 accel tier (There are 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, and 2.0 accel tiers, but no 1.75 accel tier because Nintendo). I think that's worth it, honestly, especially if you're playing with GAF in Frantic. It's personal preference, but it's definitely viable.

Sounds like i should switch to the Blue Falcon forever. The accel boost seems worth it.

-------------------------

Mute city is the only track I want to play on now. Too good.

Porcile

So is it better to have a higher Accel. or higher speed?

EDIT: After I finish running all the tracks in SP, i'll jump into the normal room.

I always go higher speed over acceleration, problem you'll find with higher acceleration is people will overtake you too easily and you wont have the power to get past them either.

Son Of D

Somehow came first in the Twisted Mansion. Bad timing since that was my planned last race for the night so it looked like I quite just because I won.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Most undeserved 9th place finish ever.

Forgot how to take that shortcut, ended up boosting into the middle of the water.

Edit: Wonder what track we could play...

Grizzo

So it just happened: I just finished second to last on Yoshi's Circuit and I'm pretty proud about it, haha.

Roo

From the OP

If it's 2GB I have enough space. Am I screwed? Because I'm not buying a external HD.
That note is more towards those with digital content downloaded in their consoles.
If you know you have more than enough memory available then you don't have anything to worry about.

Edit: I don't even know why I typed disclaimer lol

Top Bottom