• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

RiggyRob

My sister says that my Limited Edition Mario Kart 8 bundle has arrived and is now teasing me with opening it early or hiding it from me. I'm not even going to be able to play it til tomorrow but the idea that she could be sullying the Nintendo goodness is excruciating.

Reknoc

wow is such a thing even possible, just had an email saying my order has been delivered. Not updated on tracking though so I'm still not convinced until I see who signed for it.

Vuze

hngh
31c2fbe329.png

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Whoa it literally takes years to set up a new WiiU, with all these settings, updates and so on.

Yes. I would not like to be getting a new WiiU on Xmas day. I would take you have a half a day just to get online and get through the updates.

The battle mode tracks aren't too awkward, or do they take some getting used to?

Tbqh, I'm not the biggest battle mode fan but the track like stages don't feel awkward at all. It works just fine as far as I can tell. Most of the time everyone congregates in one area of the track trying to kill each other, it can be pretty fun. Also it's not very hard to find your opponents, so I don't really understand that complaint. I guess if you really love the arena style tracks you'll have to get use to it.
:/
Edit: I do wish the levels had separate themes from the racing tracks, it would make it feel more special.

So I put a few good hours into the game yesterday. I had fun online and splitscreen two player. Surprisingly the online was fairly stable with not much noticeable lag. However, I can't help but compare this to another familiar racing kart game. Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.

The whole time I was playing MK8 it just felt sort of stiff to me compared to the fluidness of Sonic. Another gripe is the drifting. In Sonic you can pull off drifting with ease with MK8 I was having trouble pulling it off. I get the mechanic is different and I was perhaps playing it as if it was Sonic but it's annoying when I try to drift and keep hitting the opposite wall.

The stages feel abit tamer aswell in terms of overall mayhem. Maybe I need to play more of it but that's how I feel at the moment.

Storm360

Got my club nintendo code now, safe to redeem it? (UK)

Plus, if I get a second code, can I just make a second account to redeem it?

Baleoce

Because I play up close on a pretty decent monitor, the lack of anti aliasing is pretty noticeable even in motion xD But it still looks aesthetically gorgeous :)

Quadraxis

First post on GAF! :D got the game yesterday, but i promised i wouldn't play it until some friends get here this evening for some karting. Waiting is hard T_T.

wilflare

If you go to power settings in the system settings you can enable or disable auto power down. If you press enable, you'll be able to set the interval.

You should enable automatic downloading of games/patches. When you buy stuff on the eShop, just turn the WiiU off when you're done. It will download it staying in stand-by, the led should be orange.

thanks guys! glad to know this feature has more options!

how are you guys taking pics without the HUD? and hmm how do we actually use Mario Kart TV.

anyone using the Wheel attachment to play does it really make the experience better?

Nico_D

After one drive-through of all the new circuits, I'd say the one with the snowy mountain is the best. What's the name? The only straight circuit with no laps and you go down the mountain... whatever.

Zing

Banned
First post on GAF! :D got the game yesterday, but i promised i wouldn't play it until some friends get here this evening for some karting. Waiting is hard T_T.
I know that feeling. I'm waiting for my daughter to get home from school.

anyone using the Wheel attachment to play does it really make the experience better?
I was a wheel-only player with Mario Kart Wii. It will be the same here. Yes, I felt the game just wasn't as good without the wheel. Playing with a regular controller seemed lame. I never felt like I had less control using the wheel, it served me well. I had double star rank and during my peak playing period, I was rated 9000+ online.

batbeg

Seriously though guys what's the GAF tournament code?

Edit: if anyone else is wondering its 4939-5939-3528. And I guess wet appear by our mii name?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
okay, going to work, then driving like a madman back to GAME next to my house, I suppose it will end like this
Car_ee5229_313890.gif

see you later fellow MKarters

Ok, I'm being thick, how do I do tricks (and pop wheelies, if possible)? I saw the CPU do it so it's possible.

R as you go off a ramp. There are no wheelies anymore, other than an animation when using a Mushroom.

After one drive-through of all the new circuits, I'd say the one with the snowy mountain is the best. What's the name? The only straight circuit with no laps and you go down the mountain... whatever.

Mount Wario

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I know that feeling. I'm waiting for my daughter to get home from school.

My son asked me to promise him I wouldn't play it until he got home from school. Sorry son. That's not a promise I can make.

Baleoce

Best feature about Mario Kart 8 by *far* is:

Time Trial > View Miiverse Ghosts > Download the fastest ghost > Watch that ghost in action. No freaking better way to learn. I'm so glad they implemented this.

Ninja Dom

Just to be sure....

During the Uploading a video to Miiverse & YouTube, on the Gamepad you have the option to press B to close. Does this simply close the window so you can continue playing and the upload carries on, or does it cancel the upload entirely?

tkscz

Where is the google docs list for our NNID. I want to add mine, tkscz5

Will probably be recording any online race with GAF members.

Griss

Welp, after 4 straight hours I think it's time to put it down for a bit. That's almost as much time as I've put into Nintendoland since launch. The fact that they launched with that and not this... I will never, ever understand it.

Quick thoughts:
-Noticed the jaggies right away. The IQ really isn't that great. Then you get used to it and the fact that every single other aspect of the visuals is god-tier takes over. Seriously, this is the best looking game of the year, and I just came from finishing Infamous Second Son.

-My first look at Cloudtop Cruise had me saying 'wow' out loud and giggling. Easily the standout track, for me anyway. How did they get the clouds to look and 'feel' so fluffy? Why does that lightning section evoke such strong F-Zero nostalgia? How do they get it so that incredibly emotional Galaxy music sweeps in just as you hit the ground? It races well, too. Fucking mindblowing track.

-I was really worried about the difficulty of the game at first. Won my first 4 races in 100cc, so moved to 150cc. Won my first 8 races there. Three 3-star GPs to begin with. I was kind of freaking out that there was no challenge at all to the game. Went online and won my first two races there. Thought, 'maybe I'm just good?' Then my luck turned and I wasn't able to buy a win in the next couple of races. Still haven't beaten the last normal cup. Fears calmed.

-The fact that the camera doesn't always totally reposition behind you when you're in antigrav is brilliant, as it lets you know that you aren't in a normal position. I love that they had the balls to do that.

-Love the koopalings. Love, love, love. Won my first online races with Lemmy, did some good time trials with Ludwig. Morton is a beast, too. Think he'll be popular online. Looking forward to getting the two I really wanted, Larry and Roy, but if I don't get them soon then Lemmy and Ludwig might become my mains.

-The new tracks are so stunning that some of the old ones seem tame by comparison. The Piranha Slide and Music City tracks from the 3DS are terrible, why did they choose them? On the other hand, some tracks like Toad's Turnpike and Donut Plains 3 turn total shit into spun gold, and that's more common than the other way around. All in all the tracks are simply incredible.

-I was wondering if the last track would be Rainbow Road, since I already knew the N64 version was in, and it was so spectacular that I thought they couldn't top it. Well, they tried, and they indeed failed. It's a decent track, but there's two Rainbow Roads in the game and only one leaves your jaw on the floor. Knowing that, they should have switched it up with something else to finish the new tracks. Rosalina's Observatory or some other galaxy / space thing would have worked well, since that's the direction they ended up going in anyway. They did the same space theme for the 3DS Rainbow Road, and that one is also far better than this new one. It's not a big deal at all, really.

-The item balance is the best that it's ever been. Not being able to pick up an item when trailing another is brilliant. The coin item is fucking genius - anyone who spends a lot of time out in front will see exactly why they added it. The super horn is fun as hell, and the fact that you can actually get it when in first to defend blue shells is great. Overall, proper usage of green shells and bananas matters more than before, and red shells now feel as powerful as they should. They've done a great job here.

Can't wait to play some Gaffers later tonight, and get stuck into time trials. See you there.

Had a fun night playing Mario Kart with a couple of friends. It's funny because I bought the game and I don't even own a Wii U yet. But my two friends ordered their copies online and don't expect to receive their games until next week, so I was more than willing to pick the game up for myself. I definitely like it better than Mario Kart Wii (Shudders). I like the item balance much more and I'm so happy they got rid of the manual/automatic option.

150cc was hard for us. The game definitely picks 2 to 3 characters to always do well and they seem to have all the right items to stay ahead or to nail you when you pass. Other than that, I think the tracks are refreshing and I kind of like the new bowser kids. Still, I'm not sure why they got rid of bones, boo, and some of the other previously playable characters.

It will be fun playing the game online and trying to find the character/kart combination that suits my liking.

EDIT:
-The fact that the camera doesn't always totally reposition behind you when you're in antigrav is brilliant, as it lets you know that you aren't in a normal position. I love that they had the balls to do that.
I was worried about the same thing. If the camera adjusted to every tilt and turn, it wouldn't feel like anything out of the ordinary. Thankfully, the game gives you the feeling of racing in all sorts of directions without spinning your head in the process.

This is going to be the longest work day ever. I even have a brand new car being delivered to me today or possibly tomorrow but I am more excited about Mario Kart. lol...

Just to be sure....

During the Uploading a video to Miiverse & YouTube, on the Gamepad you have the option to press B to close. Does this simply close the window so you can continue playing and the upload carries on, or does it cancel the upload entirely?

Sadly it cancels the upload.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
My sleep schedule is so screwed up right now, went to sleep at about 1pm PDT, woke up at around 8pm... I think I'm going to try to get 6-7 hours in right now and grab that Amazon package off the front step. Problem is I'm not tired. Why?!? Why do my bad habits have to ruin Kart day!??!

Tiamant

Finally Nintendo updated the Club Nintendo site, downloading Pikmin 3!

Even though I had DS and Wii and I've played my fair share of Pokemon X I feel like a kid with my new Wii U, Mario Kart and now Pikmin. It's been a while since I felt this NEED to get home to play. Good times ahead, praise Nintendo!

Top Bottom