• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
When you play splitscreen and no one uses the gamepad, what does the screen display?

Welp, after 4 straight hours I think it's time to put it down for a bit. That's almost as much time as I've put into Nintendoland since launch. The fact that they launched with that and not this... I will never, ever understand it.

Quick thoughts:
-Noticed the jaggies right away. The IQ really isn't that great. Then you get used to it and the fact that every single other aspect of the visuals is god-tier takes over. Seriously, this is the best looking game of the year, and I just came from finishing Infamous Second Son.

-My first look at Cloudtop Cruise had me saying 'wow' out loud and giggling. Easily the standout track, for me anyway. How did they get the clouds to look and 'feel' so fluffy? Why does that lightning section evoke such strong F-Zero nostalgia? How do they get it so that incredibly emotional Galaxy music sweeps in just as you hit the ground? It races well, too. Fucking mindblowing track.

-I was really worried about the difficulty of the game at first. Won my first 4 races in 100cc, so moved to 150cc. Won my first 8 races there. Three 3-star GPs to begin with. I was kind of freaking out that there was no challenge at all to the game. Went online and won my first two races there. Thought, 'maybe I'm just good?' Then my luck turned and I wasn't able to buy a win in the next couple of races. Still haven't beaten the last normal cup. Fears calmed.

-The fact that the camera doesn't always totally reposition behind you when you're in antigrav is brilliant, as it lets you know that you aren't in a normal position. I love that they had the balls to do that.

-Love the koopalings. Love, love, love. Won my first online races with Lemmy, did some good time trials with Ludwig. Morton is a beast, too. Think he'll be popular online. Looking forward to getting the two I really wanted, Larry and Roy, but if I don't get them soon then Lemmy and Ludwig might become my mains.

-The new tracks are so stunning that some of the old ones seem tame by comparison. The Piranha Slide and Music City tracks from the 3DS are terrible, why did they choose them? On the other hand, some tracks like Toad's Turnpike and Donut Plains 3 turn total shit into spun gold, and that's more common than the other way around. All in all the tracks are simply incredible.

-I was wondering if the last track would be Rainbow Road, since I already knew the N64 version was in, and it was so spectacular that I thought they couldn't top it. Well, they tried, and they indeed failed. It's a decent track, but there's two Rainbow Roads in the game and only one leaves your jaw on the floor. Knowing that, they should have switched it up with something else to finish the new tracks. Rosalina's Observatory or some other galaxy / space thing would have worked well, since that's the direction they ended up going in anyway. They did the same space theme for the 3DS Rainbow Road, and that one is also far better than this new one. It's not a big deal at all, really.

-The item balance is the best that it's ever been. Not being able to pick up an item when trailing another is brilliant. The coin item is fucking genius - anyone who spends a lot of time out in front will see exactly why they added it. The super horn is fun as hell, and the fact that you can actually get it when in first to defend blue shells is great. Overall, proper usage of green shells and bananas matters more than before, and red shells now feel as powerful as they should. They've done a great job here.

Can't wait to play some Gaffers later tonight, and get stuck into time trials. See you there.

No need to hate on Nintendoland. I personally think it's great and a cool launch title ;)

So anyone in the UK waiting on the delivery from Nintendo UK store via... Yodel, I see from twitter that some have even been delayed for 24hrs, mine says give them a delivery leeway of up to 9pm...and the email was sent at 9am...so I'll probably be waiting 12hrs for my delivery =/

Vuze

Mail delivery (that also delivers Amazon DHL stuff) just entered our village and left without delivering anything to anybody. There will be blood if I don't receive the game today.

Copenap

Since the test tourney will end in a couple of days anyways I went ahead and created a weekly neogaf tourney trying to establish an easy way for us gaffers to play together. This one is with unlimited races so not necessarely the skill wil determine the winner but rather the grinding, think of it as tourney of shame ;)

I would suggest an additional one with a race limit for the more competitive gaffers.

Code: 0015-0254-0763

Hope to see you around.

Edit: Btw is there a way to use the emotes in the lobby before voting for a track?

onslack

So anyone in the UK waiting on the delivery from Nintendo UK store via... Yodel, I see from twitter that some have even been delayed for 24hrs, mine says give them a delivery leeway of up to 9pm...and the email was sent at 9am...so I'll probably be waiting 12hrs for my delivery =/

I'm still waiting for mine, Yodel have DM'd me on twitter saying they had an issue at the main sorting HQ, mine is in transit now and that it'll be out for delivery asap! So who know's when it'll arrive.

I'm not holding my breathe really, as I've not had a good experience with them yet

God this game is fantastic. I've definitely taken a liking to Morton. Been playing online and had some amazingly close calls, just uploading a video where I spent the entire race at the back of the pack, only to get 2 stars on the trot, then right at the line get a slipstream boost and jump up to 3rd. Can't imagine that guy was impressed.

Hasney

The physical from Amazon hasn't shown up yet. Being done by Royal Mail, no tracking, but says should be "before 9pm". Didn't know they delivered that late.

I'm still waiting for mine, Yodel have DM'd me on twitter saying they had an issue at the main sorting HQ, mine is in transit now and that it'll be out for delivery asap! So who know's when it'll arrive.

I'm not holding my breathe really, as I've not had a good experience with them yet
Ah yeah Yodel is terrible, my friend told me to not hold my breath cause he had a delivery that was tracked to be delivered a day but came the next. Such a depressing feeling when you get told your delivery is by Yodel >_<

Sitrus

After looking all over town, I finally got a copy of this beast. This will be a long night! I noticed the sort of hiccup in the framerate at once, but the game is just gorgeous.

Davey Cakes

Is the game better than sonic all stars racing transformed?
Not even worth the comparison since one is more of a kart racer and the other more of an arcade racer. They will both have pros and cons. I always hear that Sonic Transformed has a robust single player mode that Mario Kart never really strives for. Mario Kart may be seen as having tighter and better-performing multiplayer. It's all good.

onslack

Ah yeah Yodel is terrible, my friend told me to not hold my breath cause he had a delivery that was tracked to be delivered a day but came the next. Such a depressing feeling when you get told your delivery is by Yodel >_<

Yeah and I've heard a fair few horror stories of peoples deliveries being thrown over fences etc!

I was the same when I saw my delivery email. F.M.L!

What is the purpose of the x/6 Stars UI that increases when pressing the + button post-race while online? I tried to dig through the manual to see if there was anything explaining it, but I could not find anything.

(also where dem GAF tournaments at?)

RagnarokX

jbwmDEOQFF85pC.jpg

jBGrjoGt68M66.jpg

jLQAxnIwyORGl.jpg

Such a good game.

Jigolo

If this is at my local fedex is it actually possible for me to pick it up instead of waiting for the delivery? Has anyone ever done this?

Copenap

What is the purpose of the x/6 Stars UI that increases when pressing the + button post-race while online? I tried to dig through the manual to see if there was anything explaining it, but I could not find anything.

Here's a new weekly one I made
Code: 0015-0254-0763

ANOTHER email from Nintendo about the Yodel fuck up :

Dear Mark,

We are aware that you may have recently received a text from Yodel advising that delivery of your Mario Kart 8 product will be delayed by 24 hours due to a process error.

We're really sorry for any inconvenience, and want to assure you that we are working with Yodel to resolve this issue and will do everything we can to ensure your product arrives today.

You will receive an update on the delivery status of your order shortly.

Once again, we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards,
Nintendo UK Customer Support

Was gonna go out and watch Godzilla, but now I might have to stay in for the fuck-knows-when delivery.

What a joke.

Nicktendo86

Just entered my club nintendo code and claimed by code for NSMBU, nice and easy process. Backs against the wall desperate Nintendo are best Nintendo.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
ANOTHER email from Nintendo about the Yodel fuck up :

Was gonna go out and watch Godzilla, but now I might have to stay in for the fuck-knows-when delivery.

What a joke.

That's what happens when companies use a cheap mickey mouse operation like Yodel rather then Royal Mail.

Porcile

It's not the Royal Mails fault. It's Amazon. The game didn't arrive in the delivery office in time for it to go out on delivery.

Nope.

I'll send them email, they've been pretty shitty lately for me as well. Delivery and dispatch times all over the place.

Nooooooooooooooooooo the postman came but no game got delivered. Fucking Amazon and Royal Mail.

In the same boat here - just saw the postman walk past the house.

As Hansey mentioned, it does say delivered by 9pm in Amazon's email so maybe it'll turn up with the van deliveries later on...

MUST...CONCENTRATE ON WORK...NOT...WINDOW.

You use it to favourite replays in MKTV so they don't get wiped from recent replays.

Porcile

In the same boat here - just saw the postman walk past the house.

As Hansey mentioned, it does say delivered by 9pm in Amazon's email so maybe it'll turn up with the van deliveries later on...

MUST...CONCENTRATE ON WORK...NOT...WINDOW.

Where are you located? I'm in the South East and like I say, they've been really flakey with me recently.

Apparently you can save up to 6 replays so I would guess it is to do with that. Edit: Ah favourites that won't get wiped. Figures...

Royal Mail Royally fucked you.
No, thats when you import something valued £15.12 from outside the EU. Over £15 triggers import duty. Royal Mail pay this beforehand and fill out the customs clearing forms. For doing this (note: it is impossible for a civilian to do this) Royal Mail charge you £8+tax due (which on the example given is going to be nowhere near £8). Thankfully some retailers like Amazon can arrange for the tax to be pre-paid so the packages clear customs fine and no £8 Royal Mail shareholder bubbly tax.

Eiolon

Damn, no stores in my area have the game yet. The regional Nintendo rep hand delivers the games on release day and won't be out for another 3-4 hours.

Baleoce

Yes its safe, I've already redeemed mine and have Pikmin 3 downloading to my Wii U as we speak. UK.

Huh, that's odd. I read the TAC:

Step 2

Register the Club Nintendo PIN code for Mario Kart 8 in www.club-nintendo.com between 10:00 (UK time) on May 30th 2014 and 23:59 (UK time) on July 31st 2014.
Step 3

Log in to Club Nintendo 48 hours later and click the Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion banner to proceed.

EDIT - Yeah, i'm able to claim it now too. I guess they say 48 hours just to safeguard themselves.

lt519

I fully expected Nintendo to fuck this up. I'm shocked at how smooth every thing was.

You said this in the other thread, they've done several similar deals with the 3DS and have never had a problem. If anything I've gotten more and better digital service from Nintendo than Sony (and I'm full digital on both consoles and handhelds)

hwy_61

Banned
Why? At least NOE has experience with this kind of stuff, this is the third free game I got from them and they had at least three more similar promotions.

Because Nintendo? I can't give you a logical answer, I just think when it comes to downloads and the internet, Nintendo is weird, man.

Top Bottom