• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

prag16

Banned
Besides wheelies being gone, the biggest change is that none of the bikes give any speed bonuses. If that's enough of a downgrade for their awesome drifting remains to be seen.

What do you mean by no "speed bonuses"? iirc they can still get drift boosts (including red boosts this time) and trick boosts, plus 10 coin speed increases.

I too have been wondering what about bikes (sport bikes particularly) will balance them with karts, seeing as the inside drifting is still easily superior to "normal" drifting.

B00TE

Can't wait! Been finding excuses to go to Gamestop to play the demo. Still sad Diddy isn't in but playing as Roy is gonna be great when a few friends and I invade online with Koopalings.

May add my NNID to the pile at some point, but I'm pretty bad at getting games set up. :x

Branson

Do you guys play through the GPs with 50cc and work your way up or start with 150cc right away? I usually work my way up.

Hip Hop

I really hope the online multiplayer takes off.

How was Mario Kart on the Wii in this instance? Never got to play it.

What do you mean by no "speed bonuses"? iirc they can still get drift boosts (including red boosts this time) and trick boosts, plus 10 coin speed increases.

I too have been wondering what about bikes (sport bikes particularly) will balance them with karts, seeing as the inside drifting is still easily superior to "normal" drifting.

He's talking about stats. None of the bikes have a positive speed stat.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Vehicle_parts

Qurupeke

Beautiful OT!

Played the demo in a Target yesterday, and I was utterly blown away.

Will probably wait to get a Wii U after E3, but for this and Bayonetta! Gah, so gooood.

Yep, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected when I tried it too. Get a Wii U asap, my friend.

Dereck

I just played this at a Gamestop, plays like I expected.

Thanks GAF for constantly pointing out how this game has no AA, for the first few races I was distracted by this.

prag16

Banned
He's talking about stats. None of the bikes have a positive speed stat.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Vehicle_parts

Gotcha. What does the "traction" stat do? The sport bike is supposedly awful in that category. But obviously it's easier to hold your lines while cornering.. so what does this stat actually mean..

EDIT: derp. just read the descriptions on the wiki. I see. Well, I still dont' see much that's going to make inside drift bikes falter enough in other categories to make up for the superiority of inside drifting. We'll see..

It feels nice and tight.

iVLBX9oBzwZHy.gif

GimMick

Damn, the OT is ace !

Added my NNID to the list, but it seems clear already that I won't be able to add most of the people in there !

Just learned today that my internet connection got upgraded to high-speed after years of waiting. *banderas.gif*
Going to spend quite a lot of time online for this !

BM8

Neo Member
You know, when Nintendo uses a trippy mobius strip for a MK track, that their not messing around.

Such a cool game.

One week...

No specific made battle mode tracks is a bit of a disappointment in my grand view of the game, but it won't deter me from getting it whenever I'll have the money to get a Wii and the game.

kuppy

Incredible OT.
Added my name to the spreadsheet. Actually only followed people so far, will add some of you now, feel free to add me too.

Azuran

Banned
Gotcha. What does the "traction" stat do? The sport bike is supposedly awful in that category. But obviously it's easier to hold your lines while cornering.. so what does this stat actually mean..

EDIT: derp. just read the descriptions on the wiki. I see. Well, I still dont' see much that's going to make inside drift bikes falter enough in other categories to make up for the superiority of inside drifting. We'll see..

The main drawback of negative traction is that a bike is going to drift outward a lot more in some tracks before the inside drift takes over. It's nothing that can't be fixed with some planning, but it should still affect their drifting speed somewhat.

Revven

Added myself to the spreadsheet. I don't have a lot of friends on my Wii U so if you do add me lemme know via PM. I think I might have like 5-10 people at most? Something like that.

prag16

Banned
The main drawback of negative traction is that a bike is going to drift outward a lot more in some tracks before the inside drift takes over. It's nothing that can't be fixed with some planning, but it should still affect their drifting speed somewhat.

I guess the question would be this: Will a kart with maxed out traction have OVERALL tighter drift abilities than a sport bike with low traction? If the answer is no, then inside drift will still be king most likely.

With what little I played in the demo at gamestop, it seems that the sport bike (-1.25) still wrecks the standard kart (0) in this area, unless like you said it varies greatly by track or type of surface.

EDIT: IGN's guide says traction affects offroad speed (higher == faster while off-road). ...Okay, then why don't the ATVs distinguish themselves in this area?

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mario-kart-8/Vehicles_and_Customization

Added myself to the spreadsheet. I don't have a lot of friends on my Wii U so if you do add me lemme know via PM. I think I might have like 5-10 people at most? Something like that.

That's not really necessary. If they send the request via Miiverse like they should, you'll be notified.

Besides wheelies being gone, the biggest change is that none of the bikes give any speed bonuses. If that's enough of a downgrade for their awesome drifting remains to be seen.

Y'know, I completely forgot about that. I wonder how that'll add up in the end. I'm still feeling pretty pessimistic, as I'm assuming that indrifting bikes will see the most use online once again. Really hoping I'm wrong, though.

Azuran

Banned
I guess the question would be this: Will a kart with maxed out traction have OVERALL tighter drift abilities than a sport bike with low traction? If the answer is no, then inside drift will still be king most likely.

With what little I played in the demo at gamestop, it seems that the sport bike (-1.25) still wrecks the standard kart (0) in this area, unless like you said it varies greatly by track or type of surface.

EDIT: IGN's guide says traction affects offroad speed (higher == faster while off-road). ...Okay, then why don't the ATVs distinguish themselves in this area?

Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought all ATVs would get positive traction stats, but seeing the stats on the Wiggler one just made me question what's the difference between them and a Kart. I'm even questioning the fact that their even on the game at this point.

For some reason, I'm looking forward to the little nuances and mechanics to be revealed a lot more than actually playing the game right now. I'm weird.

Berordn

Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought all ATVs would get positive traction stats, but seeing the stats on the Wiggler one just made me question what's the difference between them and a Kart. I'm even questioning the fact that their even on the game at this point.

It's seriously a waste. What I played of the demo made them come off as handling identical to karts, except they do a little wheelie when they get a speed boost. Not really sure why they exist and have their own vehicle distinction.

If DLC ends up being a thing hopefully they flesh out all these underutilized vehicle and stat niches.

I will agree with 60fps being wonderful, its just i never really see it in console form. It looks so good, it almost looks fake! If that makes sense.
Totally. I'm still getting over how good Nintendo games look in HD. Super Mario 3d World already floored me, but this game is pushing it to the next level. And something tells me their new Zelda game at E3 is going to look even better.

Revven

For some reason, I'm looking forward to the little nuances and mechanics to be revealed a lot more than actually playing the game right now. I'm weird.

Wouldn't the type of wheels on the ATV make the offroad/traction more noticeably different? Or, do ATV bodies literally not add any offroad/traction benefit as they should? (I haven't looked at the stats page wiki yet lol).

Berordn

Wouldn't the type of wheels on the ATV make the offroad/traction more noticeably different? Or, do ATV bodies literally not add any offroad/traction benefit as they should? (I haven't looked at the stats page wiki yet lol).

Standard ATV adds traction, reduces handling. Wild Wiggler is the opposite. Teddy Buggy is neutral. There are karts with identical stats, so I'm not really sure what they're doing with them.

ffdgh

Only standard atv adds offroad and weight and Badwagon, steel driver, and tri-speeder are the same.

Wild wiggler takes away offroad but adds handling and acceleration like pipeframe, standard bike, and the flame rider bike.

Teddy buggy is balanced all around like the standard kart.

If anyone wants to screw around with combo possibilities. http://www.gunslingergaming.com/html/MK8Stats.php

Like said on the wiki it really depends on the terrain. No matter how tight the drift is, if you slip away a lot, it may become uninteresting.

If you have Mario Kart Wii, pick Bowser Bike (an inside-drift bike) + any character that doesn't give an off-road boost, and see how your vehicle slips hard during N64 Sherbet Land's outside part.

Revven

Standard ATV adds traction, reduces handling. Wild Wiggler is the opposite. Teddy Buggy is neutral. There are karts with identical stats, so I'm not really sure what they're doing with them.

...Wow I didn't know it was that bad. At least make them have different stat distribution... =\

I guess they wanted the ATV aesthetic and so prioritized that rather than making them actually different in a meaningful way like bikes are to karts. Perhaps they wanted to avoid a situation like they had with bikes in MKWii? (Even though the main things wrong with bikes, aside from inside drift, were the wheelie and how much faster they were -- that is, how much faster bikes like the Bowser Bike and Mach Bike were). But I can't see how an offroad stat being really good could make them become overused or something. It would certainly give them an edge on some tracks like Moo Moo Meadows and hey, that would probably be a good thing and make choosing between the different body types matter more.

Ah well. Maybe they can patch it? :p (Not being serious obv)

sgjackson

Y'know, I completely forgot about that. I wonder how that'll add up in the end. I'm still feeling pretty pessimistic, as I'm assuming that indrifting bikes will see the most use online once again. Really hoping I'm wrong, though.

Based on the stats I've seen (it's not unlikely there are hidden stats like off-road capability or whatever) I think that karts with speed bonuses will be better on tracks with less turns or wider turns, but bikes will be better on tracks that are tighter and have more hairpins.

DedValve

Banned
$10 plus a free game! I'm loving this. I know it won't happen but I really want Smash Bros to get a similar deal (although it'll probably be get both versions, not that'd I complain).

If anyone wants to screw around with combo possibilities. http://www.gunslingergaming.com/html/MK8Stats.php
Let's compare fastest kart combo VS fastest bike combo! (There are many variations of these combos due to all the dupe items, but I like it that way)
8YgGF.png

...TBH I would choose the bike every time from what we currently know about the game for actual racing. With inside drifting I doubt that that 0.5 speed makes up for the notably lower acceleration or the much bigger hitbox.

Inside drifting bikes might have a harder time getting red MTs, though, since they don't change their angle nearly as much as other vehicles when drifting. We'll see.

I gotta go preoder from Best Buy in the next few days, want that $10 card lol

Going to claim this as my father's day present. $10 card plus code for Wind Waker HD free? Yes please.

Woot forgot I also had a $5 code to redeem as well! Covers taxes at least.

ffdgh

Let's compare fastest kart combo VS fastest bike combo! (There are many variations of these combos due to all the dupe items, but I like it that way)
8YgGF.png

...TBH I would choose the bike every time from what we currently know about the game for actual racing. With inside drifting I doubt that that 0.5 speed makes up for the notably lower acceleration or the much bigger hitbox.

Inside drifting bikes might have a harder time getting red MTs, though, since they don't change their angle nearly as much as other vehicles when drifting. We'll see.

Weird thing about heavy weights is that they have all the speed/acceleration combos compared to 7's feather and light weights. Heck bowser can pull off 4.25 speed with 4 acceleration.

Still sticking with peach...Plus her baby self and gold self with iggy. Team karts and bikes.

Top Bottom