• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Cheddahz

Banned
Who's going to be playing this online on release day?

To the people who want to chat, have you guys thought about setting up a voice chat room on steam?

I should be playing this online on release day (unless I have some weird hours to work next Friday)

Smilax

Either that or set up a mumble server, anyways my brother and I are ready to race among you guys. I'm ready to try all the car combinations haha

ffdgh

Who's going to be playing this online on release day?

To the people who want to chat, have you guys thought about setting up a voice chat room on steam?

Gotta three star everything before I think about going onine lol. Shouldn't take too long.

Gotta three star everything before I think about going onine lol. Shouldn't take too long.
I'm not getting all three stars right away unless it's super easy (I doubt it will be for me with the balance changes) but I'm definitely unlocking at least MM before jumping online. I'm hoping to have that done by that Friday afternoon.

Sleep? What's that???

Can't wait for this. Played it some at Gamestop recently and it runs so smooth. Going to be a long week before release, especially since I just finished up DKCTF :(

bumpkin

I got a chance to give the GameStop demo a whirl this past weekend during their "Test Drive" event. Only got to play like one race though. Some little kid cam along and was longingly staring at the game while I played. My wife made me hand over the controller after the race so the kid could try it; she then wanted to leave the store.

A friend of mine works as a retail rep for Nintendo and is constantly telling me about his progress in the game and how awesome it is. He's had it for about a week or two I believe. The guy's my friend, but secretly I think I hate him a little. :(

iKhayal18

Added my ID to the list!
Here it is: iKhayal
Feel free to add me! My friend list is quite empty :/

Let's hope we can get the game earlier as usual. I imagine that it'll be available around next wednesday in Spain (or even tuesday, as earliest).

DrunkDan

Gonna be a long week.

Not a huge fan of waiting at the best of times but this week is going to drag. Been avoiding most of those videos to go in fresh.

Anyone else looking to main their Mii?

ffdgh

I'm not getting all three stars right away unless it's super easy (I doubt it will be for me with the balance changes) but I'm definitely unlocking at least MM before jumping online. I'm hoping to have that done by that Friday afternoon.

Sleep? What's that???

Shouldn't be too much trouble with max acceleration. Btw character unlocks are random lol.

Griss

Man, I really want to sign up to that spreadsheet, but I'm gonna be in the Caribbean for the next two months, working quite a lot, and I have no idea what my internet experience will be like.

When I get out there I guess I'll see and then sign up if it's appropriate. At least I'll be in sync with all the EST Gaffers. Absolutely LOVE some MK multiplayer.

I wanna unlock Morton and Roy before I get online and the circuit special and sports bike

Yep. Unlocking Lemmy, Larry and Roy before getting online will be my top priority. Not gonna be using anyone else. Still breaks my heart that Roy's shell is purple now. What did they DO to him?!

Brizzo24

K7LbtO2.gif

My body is ready! Can't wait to play this f-ing game. I've avoided all the videos, and am at this point mostly spoiler free. It'll be new the second I turn it on.

Feel free to add a french depressive gaf lurker in your Wii U,

Astrogavol will swallow every blue shell ... with style and a GOLD CLASSIC CONTROLLER

gamgoldclassiccontroller530.jpg

connected to a GOLD WIIMOTE CONTROLLER.

In fact i'm too old for that shit :/

Loco4Coco

Are coins going to unlock things in MK8? It took forever in MK7 to get everything when the max you can get a one time was 40 coins.

PopeReal

My plan is to try and get through most of the courses via single player on Friday night, but I am sure I will break down and play online after a half hour or so.

I want to do a run through of every course in 150cc (enough to get used to the physics, unlock a few parts and characters), then jump online.

Sleep? What's that???
MM will definitely be the last character you unlock, don't worry. :)

MilesTeg

Banned
Got $60 in my eShop, ready for midnight download Thursday night!

Anyone know if you must unlock new tracks before voting for them online or whatever? I kinda just want to give this game the CoD treatment (jump right into online at release).

Roo

Gameplay Info and FAQ sections were added to the OT.
If I missed any valuable piece of information please let me know.

Man, I really want to sign up to that spreadsheet, but I'm gonna be in the Caribbean for the next two months, working quite a lot, and I have no idea what my internet experience will be like.

When I get out there I guess I'll see and then sign up if it's appropriate. At least I'll be in sync with all the EST Gaffers. Absolutely LOVE some MK multiplayer.

Yep. Unlocking Lemmy, Larry and Roy before getting online will be my top priority. Not gonna be using anyone else. Still breaks my heart that Roy's shell is purple now. What did they DO to him?!

I read somewhere that purple is death in Japan and that's why they made him purple.

Shouldn't be too much trouble with max acceleration. Btw character unlocks are random lol.

MM will definitely be the last character you unlock, don't worry. :)

:{

I'm talking about mirror mode guys not Metal Mario. I generally like to have all the cups unlocked at least before jumping into the online fray but i'd expect to have at least one star to go with it by then as well.

Baby steps...
Gonna be a long week.

Not a huge fan of waiting at the best of times but this week is going to drag. Been avoiding most of those videos to go in fresh.

Anyone else looking to main their Mii?
Looking? My Mii almost made the character roster. Damn Pink Gold Peach :mad:

It still ranked first as the character most racers want to shell though.

ffdgh

:{

I'm talking about mirror mode guys not Metal Mario. I generally like to have all the cups unlocked at least before jumping into the online fray but i'd expect to have at least one star to go with it by then as well.

Baby steps...

Looking? My Mii almost made the character roster. Damn Pink Gold Peach :mad:

It still ranked first as the character most racers want to shell though.

...Whoops. Forgot Mirror mode could be MM too. Guess I should have known since you never use metal mario anywy lol.

Majmun

Can't believe you can't use the gamepad as a second screen for local multiplayer. What a wasted opportunity

Can't believe you can't use the gamepad as a second screen for local multiplayer. What a wasted opportunity

Yeah that is retarded.

Why they would squander a perfectly good opportunity to utilize the controller's features is just ridiculous.

Then Nintendo wonders why this console is ailing and floundering. They won't even implement basic gameplay functions that utilize the Gamepad, which is the WHOLE point of the system.

Why did Nintendo even bother incorporating a tablet style controller if they never planned to use it?

Azuran

Banned
My plan is to try and get through most of the courses via single player on Friday night, but I am sure I will break down and play online after a half hour or so.

This is so gonna be me. Just like in MK7, I'm gonna play a couple of GP before finally jumping online and losing a bunch before deciding to go back to GP and actually learn the tracks.

No, I think they made the right decision. Why should the GamePad user be able to look at their opponent's screen while their opponent can't do the same? It's an unfair advantage. Pure splitscreen means that each player has the ability to look at each other person's screen, so no advantage to be gained here.

shaki123

Yeah that is retarded.

Why did Nintendo even bother incorporating a tablet style controller if they never planned to use it?

Couldn't have said it better myself brother. Also, why can't we change the WaraWare Plaza or add some (Nintendo-style) backgrounds? It all feels so 2003 to me. Do they not care about feedback? Like they are wanting to piss off their fans. I am such a big fan, but I am crying a little bit inside for all these missed opportunities. They need a management change big time. Someone who reeds GAF or at least has internet at home would suffice. Man, the Wii U menu music gives me the urge to kill someone.

Yazoo91

Neo Member
Has anyone here previously pre-ordered something for release day delivery from the Nintendo UK online store? If so, did it actually show up on the day?

Reposting these from the review thread (didn't see them in OP, so not sure if anyone else reposted them yet)

Threads needs more webms!!!

Azuran

Banned
The Sport Bike is a starting vehicle, I believe. It will be the first vehicle I try out. Purely because I'm interested to see how Nintendo "fixed" the indrift bikes. :p

Besides wheelies being gone, the biggest change is that none of the bikes give any speed bonuses. If that's enough of a downgrade for their awesome drifting remains to be seen.

dreamfall

Beautiful OT!

Played the demo in a Target yesterday, and I was utterly blown away.

Will probably wait to get a Wii U after E3, but for this and Bayonetta! Gah, so gooood.

Top Bottom