• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

desbrisay

Neo Member
Just wanted to jump in and say this game is blowing my mind. As a kid I wouldn't have dreamed games could be so beautiful. It's entertaining my entire family and I can't wait for the kids bedtime so I can get to grips with this masterpiece...

Well done Nintendo.

hoserx

PIcked my copy up after work..... I really just can't say enough about this game. The little details blow my mind. I bow to EAD. I am laughing out loud playing this game 90% of the time. Such joy.

MilesTeg

Banned
So what's the trick? How are you consistently at top when items provided to you are randomly generated and are likely to give you a disadvantage just as it is to give you an advantage ?

I still can't wrap my head around this series, ha ha.

I played with this user a bunch and I'm pretty sure he wasn't cheating. I mean I finished 3/4 consistently, couple of wins. I'm not a cheater...

addyb

Been having a right laugh with around 7 mates online. Absolutely stellar game. I'm still thinking about it after I've turned the console off.

Best online experience I've had in many years and gotta agree that Mt Wario is sublime. Yeah middle of the pack mayhem on this game. If you can't get in front early then you're in for a fight.

Going back to mt wario I had an epic race on that earlier. Full 12 of us in. As we hit the 3rd section there were 3 of us away from the pack absolutely neck and neck sliding round all the slalom corners and positions kept swapping frequently. I came 2nd out of the 3 of us but talk about a photo finish over the line.

GOTY for me! Thanks Nintendo :)

RoySFNR

Number three on the GAF leaderboards! Very sure I'll wake up tomorrow to find myself out of the top 50 at the very least.

It was amazing racing with you all. Good night!

Baleoce

So what's the trick? How are you consistently at top when items provided to you are randomly generated and are likely to give you a disadvantage just as it is to give you an advantage ?

In first place it's a tricky one. The item selection is quite different. The tactic is (I guess it seems obvious) to get in front, and always have a defense item (usually green shell or banana) behind you. It's pretty difficult though because the item frequency of coins in first is very large, and the mega horn iis a gimmick because you quite rarely seem to get it even in 1st. Handy for that odd time you can zap a blue or red though.

You'll notice the times that I got stuck in the mid pack I couldnt get out of it,and that cos mid is a nightmare, for anyone xD

daydream

Banned
I remember when I first got the 8 item, I tried to delicately pick which weapon to use, patiently waiting till the right one came up, trying to coordinate that with the track and my own driving, lining up the shot with the enemy drivers, which always turned out along the lines of "gimme a second guys, just need to wai-- HEY, stop, stop it, oh i wasted my-- noope, aw JEEZ"

So yeah, mash that button like there's no tomorrow.

As someone that is behind him in most of the races, he uses the items very startegically (always a defending object behind, even if its shitty like a banana peel and he passes new object boxes). He is also pretty good racing and leaving behind the pack.

How is the tourney score calculated? If it's just points from racing, won't people who play a lot automatically rank higher than others?
I'd like to know this as well. The test tourney seemed to do it where it only calculated my score in 4 tracks and then gave a score.

The one they have up now just seems like whomever plays a lot will eventually have a lot of points.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Just started playing this game and having a blast.

So Sweet Sweet Canyon is supposed to be an homage to Wreck it Ralph, right?

Top Bottom