• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Xamdou

Finally splurged and got the Wii U MK8 Deluxe bundle!

MarioKart8WiiUDeluxeBundle.jpg

Used a couple of Target Gift cards I got after trading in some games, total price was around $200. Also bought the extra warranty, anybody know how Target's warranty work? Only $39.

zroid

Banned
Y'know I wasn't really able to get into MKWii or MK7, not because I thought they were bad games, just was starting to get burned out on the Mario Kart formula, and I didn't feel there was quite enough there to bring me back into the fold.

After dabbling in MK8 for a few hours today I'm finally getting that breath of fresh air I've been wanting for a while. It's a combination of many factors: new mechanics, track design, and overall presentation all contribute.

Got some friends coming by on Sunday and I can't wait to play Mario Kart the way it was meant to be played. :)

I've won the past three races, and shells just keep missing me. Does this happen to anyone else when outriding everyone else way up in front?

I sat here and played this damn game for 3 hours online non-stop.
I had to force myself to stop playing it so I can go do something that is actually productive. hahaha
This game is really fantastic.
My only complaint is the single player mode. It's fun and it's serviceable(150cc be damned), but they could do a lot more with it.
If the single player mode was like Crash Team Racing's story mode(Hub world, Boss battles, mini games, etc.) MK8 would be perfection.
Hopefully they'll do something like that in the next one, or add stuff like that in with DLC.

Dizzy

Banned
It feels like it's easy to keep first place in a 2 player game, but if one player is around 4th it's a lot harder for them as the A.I constantly overtakes due to them rubber banding to catch up to the player in first place. MK64 had this.

Weapons are a HUGE improvement though. I can not stress this enough. Blue shells were handed out like candy in MK Wii. I thought not being able to hold two weapons now would suck but in all honesty I haven't even noticed it so it fits right in. Haven't noticed any of that stuttering either which is great. Guess I'm just not sensitive enough to it.

Man you guys need to step up your game. I didn't see or interact with a single person on the RR64 match. If I didn't see you guys at the starting line, I'd think I was playing time trials lol

Yeah I just saw it fly right by haha. I got hit with another one later though, maybe it took a lap?

Wow, that amazing ending in rainbow road, I was third and got a crazy 8. poor shy guy that robbed me the second place, not for long!
I have it recorded, will surely upload it tomorrow.

Good night guys!

WTF GAF, 9 hours ago I was achieving top 3 positions. Now, back from work I'm getting destroyed. Then I'm in 1st place and get a disconnect.

I knew it was a mistake to not call in sick at work today...

Just played it for 3 hours straight with my step mom. Unlocked all the tracks then the credits rolled.

Gorgeous game. Colorful HD Nintendo is under-appreciated. Game plays beautifully and the power ups are balanced in a way that you never get too comfortable in 1st place; so consistently exciting.

Menus could be a bit more polished. The example showing the difference in speed between 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc is just ugly.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Long time I hadn't so much fun with a game, it's really up with MK64 as the best MK games ever made.
As we said on the past page though: battle mode sucks. I can only hope that they patch in actual arenas. That entire part of multi player seems unfinished and it's a huge black eye on the game, if you ask me.

Grizzo

The Battle mode is really lazy. I'm really disappointed by the lack of confined areas like in all the others game in the series. Racing on tracks we already know to shoot one another isn't as fun as duking it out in Block Fort :(

This is easily the most fun I've had with a Mario Kart game since DS, and I've only played online throughout the day. I wasn't too hot on MK Wii and 7 was fine, but this really takes me back.

The big comeback items feel way less common than I remember, which I like. The netcode feels good as well, considering the majority of people are on wireless connections I'd imagine. Only issue is the rare disconnects that mainly occur in the lobby before a race starts.

Tabasco

50cc is incredibly easy. 150cc is too, but you get screwed over by items more often and a few of the CPU can actually catch up.

The Battle mode is really lazy. I'm really disappointed by the lack of confined areas like in all the others game in the series. Racing on tracks we already know to shoot one another isn't as fun as duking it out in Block Fort :(

Definitely agree. I love Battle Mode, but this version is just a (green) shell of itself.

kitsuneyo

I can't get online. Get an error every single time, in every mode I try. My connection is good and I usually don't have any probs. Anyone else?

Edit - error code 118-0516 :(

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, just came back from DOFP, I kept harassing my mates about MK8 after and before it...maybe I even convinced one to buy a WiiU. I cant wait to play more of it

Jachaos

This game is a real looker. Electropark or whatever its name is, I love that one, seeing the others going the other way while you're riding on the wall. This game is one of the best looking games I've seen that have come out this year, along with Transistor and inFamous Second Son.

This is easily the most fun I've had with a Mario Kart game since DS, and I've only played online throughout the day. I wasn't too hot on MK Wii and 7 was fine, but this really takes me back.

The big comeback items feel way less common than I remember, which I like. The netcode feels good as well, considering the majority of people are on wireless connections I'd imagine. Only issue is the rare disconnects that mainly occur in the lobby before a race starts.

Absolutely. I played with family today and they struggled online since it was their first time playing in a while and weren't drifting. Usually they'd pull ahead a bit every now and then but this time around all they got were triple mushrooms and the like. I kind of wish in local split-screen there were more comeback items - that's what Mario Kart is after all. I love the online though.

Revven

GGs, GAF. Apparently I was in superpickleman's room. Fun stuff! Can't wait to play more later.

Grumble Volcano... I goofed at the end ;~;

BM8

Neo Member
So got a call from a friend asking if i wanted to bring over the Wii U and play some games. I cant remember the last time he's asked me. So i mentioned Mario Kart 8 is out, and he played dumb. lol

I was planning on bringing it over anyways.

Top Bottom