• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

kind of bummed about the lack of any stat tracking. after about an hour of play i would say sonic is the better game but this is still really good. online is smooth and user friendly. thumbs up nintendo!

Ready to play!

qlV47Mt.jpg

Copies for my Brother, Sister and I :D

kind of bummed about the lack of any stat tracking. after about an hour of play i would say sonic is the better game but this is still really good. online is smooth and user friendly. thumbs up nintendo!

I haven't played a Mario Kart game since 64\ds but I was really shocked that SP in this is lacking a lot of of content, but honest I don't care. Online multiplayer is where its at :D

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but I'll throw it out there anyway:

Is it possible to turn the Gamepad completely off while playing? I'll be without a charger for my Gamepad for the next couple days, and I still wanna play me some Mario Kart. I use the wheel, so it's wasteful of battery time to just have the Gamepad sitting there when I'm not even using it. I don't know that this is possible, but maybe someone can provide some insight.

Teknoman

How is the Gamepad working out for people control wise/rumble wise? The only thing I dont like about that or the wiimote is that they have really weak ass rumble.

Also are the Koopa Kids unlocked from the start?

EDIT: Nintendo better do something with this boost of purchases.

zychi

Banned
i iwhs you could have the map on the screen. what a dumb design decision to not do it, especially since we now have more screen real estate thanks to 720p

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but I'll throw it out there anyway:

Is it possible to turn the Gamepad completely off while playing? I'll be without a charger for my Gamepad for the next couple days, and I still wanna play me some Mario Kart. I use the wheel, so it's wasteful of battery time to just have the Gamepad sitting there when I'm not even using it. I don't know that this is possible, but maybe someone can provide some insight.

You can shut the screen off by going to the home menu and hitting controller settings. I don't know if that shuts the entire controller off, but at least the screen which drains the most battery would be off. You can't use the controller if you turn off the screen, but you're fine to use any other controller to play without waking it up again.

Artorias

Banned
This game is amazing. The gf and I have been playing multplayer GP for like 3 hours. She just went to grab some food and I got my online rating up to 1106. I like the majority of the courses, but I hate the less fantastical ones that aren't visually exciting. I'm not a huge MK player, but some of the reworked courses seem way different than I remember.

Does anyone know if you earn stamps or anything online? I thought for sure I'd get a stamp for 1st place. Not that I need anything, the online is extremely satisfying but I don't want to wait to unlock any stamps until its just the pros playing haha.

You can shut the screen off by going to the home menu and hitting controller settings. I don't know if that shuts the entire controller off, but at least the screen which drains the most battery would be off. You can't use the controller if you turn off the screen, but you're fine to use any other controller to play without waking it up again.

Thanks! I figured this was my best shot at a solution. Hopefully my Gamepad lasts awhile this way.

EulaCapra

OH HELLS NAW.

Been racing online as Pink Gold Peach as is this guy from Canada. We're usually top 3 and in the instance that I placed 1st and him 2nd, his Pink Gold Peach is placed 1st for some reason. I thought it was a fluke until the second time where I hit him with an Invincible Star and had a sizeable lead and it still placed me 2nd.

DA FUQ???

SM239

Been playing this since I got off of work. Fantastic game.

I'm going to go through SP for a while to get my bearings on the courses. Feel free to add me for MP later my NNID is SM_239

Did the first two cups and this game is just awesome. Everything feels great. Perfect game to rip me away from my current FFXIV addiction. About check out online. Mii's name is Rudeboy.

If anyone wants to add me to their friends list, my NNID is XRayMonster.

Is it just me or is online harder? I would usually be 1-3 in Mario Kart 7 but now I have only gotten 3-7. Some people seem to go really fast an other times I get item spammed. People seem to travel in packs of 4 so with 1 small mistake I go from 3 to 8, while getting hit with a million items.

enoki

Thanks for the races, that was pretty rad!

Unfortunately I'm stuck using a cradle to charge my GamePad, but I'll be back in another 20-30 minutes. :D

trixx

This game to me gives me a similar feeling to when i was playing through NSMBU last year. The game is phenomenal and quite likely both the best in the franchise and the best kart racer period. I think it's well deserving a 9/10 in fact thats what i'd rate it but I also now understand why certain reviewers might have rated it less. i understand "if it aint broke, don't fix it" not necesserily asking for it to be "innovative" but i expected a bit more.

Best feature for me is multiplayer grand prix, absolutely brilliant.

Worst of course is the battle mode, absolutely abysmal. Worst in the franshise.

Also the green shells feel like they have some sort of magnetic field to them, it's so easy to get hit by them. Items seem a bit wacky at times as well, but it's very difficult to balance that aspect. Also why is replay on top of next race =/.

Can't wait to play online soon.

Top Bottom