• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Played though all 8 GP tonight after getting home from work with a buddy, we were both blown away this game is incredible. He didn't play MK Wii or 7 so he struggled a bit with remembering to trick off of jumps and getting used to under water and hang gliding but he still really liked the game. The courses are by far the best in any Mario Kart game, not a single course is bad just a few average ones that don't particular stand out. People bag on Music Park for being a lazy copy paste but it was one of my favorite levels from 7 and was pretty much perfect as it was. Only track we both agreed on as disappointing was the new Rainbow Road, and it's not because either of us thought it was a bad track, it just shouldn't have been called Rainbow Road.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got DC'd but back in!

Chose a different Kart as Koopa Troopa sucked against you Nintendoges. He was waaaayyy to slow.

So I watched a "short cut" video on new Rainbow Road where the player jumped off the twisting platforms in the final section, while it looked cool I'm not really sure if it's any faster then just following the track normally. Any advice on if it's worth taking?

Fey

Banned
pink GOD peach plays so beautifully
ebf69f50.gif

she exceeded my expectations and more
ebf69f50.gif

So I watched a "short cut" video on new Rainbow Road where the player jumped off the twisting platforms in the final section, while it looked cool I'm not really sure if it's any faster then just following the track normally. Any advice on if it's worth taking?
I find it not worth the trouble.

Griss

Yay! Won my first race against GAF! Roy's our boy! And make that three of five!

Man, this is fun. How does it work though, do we all sign into the same 'room' and then it splits us into as many races as needed?

EDIT: Biggest problem with the game is not enough time to post between races lol.

If you can, check the top Time Trial ghost. That should be the best answer you can get ATM.

Kinsei

Banned
My biggest complaint about this game is that there isn't a new Yoshi track. I'm still waiting for Yoshi's Studio Lot dammit.

How does one take screenshots?

--

Anyone feel like there's not enough content here?
I mostly played nothing but 50cc today to clear it out, so it was a little boring, but all the tracks feel a bit samey somehow.. I don't know what it is. It's like there's no challenge in the driving itself. I could do these tracks in my sleep, the first time around.

Everything feels a little more simplified too somehow.. And I can't really explain.

I mean it's smooth, it's entertaining.. But there are no new modes or content. It's just Mario Kart with some new tweaks that don't impact how one actually plays the game.
The antigravity stuff, most of the time, is imperceptible and is at it's most interesting when tracks have multiple paths or surfaces to race on at once. I feel like there's a lot more unexplored potential in the concept.

Mario Kart TV is so simple, once you've seen a few replays, you've seen them all, unfortunately. Can anyone think of a legitimate reason why it couldn't have been a deeper feature?

I'm sure it will hook me a bit more when I start playing 100CC and up, .. though now I'm wondering if playing 100cc/150cc and time trials will actually unlock anything. I've got all but 4 characters already and kart parts seem to be based solely on coins.

Tried Battle Mode before stopping for the evening, and could barely stand a single 5 minute round. Certainly this game's weakest feature.

Right now I'd have to give it a solid 6/10, but I expect I'll get into it a bit more in the days ahead.. Just worried about that sudden loss of interest that often happens with Nintendo games.

Teknoman

Drifting question:

I've tried to drift every corner for a boost since MK64, have I been doing it wrong? Are there some corners you just shouldnt try to get a drift boost?

XaosWolf

Still baffled they don't have any alternate button setups.

The Gamepad is super uncomfortable holding A. I got long thumbs and they just cramp up from the continuous pressure at that odd angle.

I have other pads to use, but why not allow triggers to accelerate?

The Gamepad is super uncomfortable holding A. I got long thumbs and they just cramp up from the continuous pressure at that odd angle.

You are able to push up on the right analog stick to accelerate and back to decelerate.

aza

I use the Y button to accelerate. It's way more comfortable than using A, at least for me.

Try holding Y instead. It's a bit better than A.

Cheddahz

Banned
Wait, you can change the controls in the this game?!?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that you can use Y for acceleration instead of A

Drifting question:

I've tried to drift every corner for a boost since MK64, have I been doing it wrong? Are there some corners you just shouldnt try to get a drift boost?

I mean generally drift boost is better then no drift boost but it all depends on the track, how your vehicle drifts, and what's going on around you. Best advice I can say is that drifting and drift boost should feel natural if you're doing them right, if you feel like you're forcing drifts for drift boost and it leads you off the course or into a wall that might be a section where you'd be better off not drifting.

Teknoman

How does one take screenshots?

--

Anyone feel like there's not enough content here?
I mostly played nothing but 50cc today to clear it out, so it was a little boring, but all the tracks feel a bit samey somehow.. I don't know what it is. It's like there's no challenge in the driving itself. I could do these tracks in my sleep, the first time around.

Everything feels a little more simplified too somehow.. And I can't really explain.

I mean it's smooth, it's entertaining.. But there are no new modes or content. It's just Mario Kart with some new tweaks that don't impact how one actually plays the game.
The antigravity stuff, most of the time, is imperceptible and is at it's most interesting when tracks have multiple paths or surfaces to race on at once. I feel like there's a lot more unexplored potential in the concept.

Mario Kart TV is so simple, once you've seen a few replays, you've seen them all, unfortunately. Can anyone think of a legitimate reason why it couldn't have been a deeper feature?

I'm sure it will hook me a bit more when I start playing 100CC and up, .. though now I'm wondering if playing 100cc/150cc and time trials will actually unlock anything. I've got all but 4 characters already and kart parts seem to be based solely on coins.

Tried Battle Mode before stopping for the evening, and could barely stand a single 5 minute round. Certainly this game's weakest feature.

Right now I'd have to give it a solid 6/10, but I expect I'll get into it a bit more in the days ahead.. Just worried about that sudden loss of interest that often happens with Nintendo games.

All Mario Kart games are sorta boring at 50CC and the early tracks. At any rate, having just finished the Thwomp Ruins, I can guarantee you that will be insane at 150CC multiplayer.

The anti-grav and shortcuts are the new thing pretty much. Adds alot of different ways to take on a track!

Mik2121

Are you guys playing together online? I would love to be able to play with some other gaffers. I live in Japan so my schedule probably won't fit most of you guys, but still...

Top Bottom