• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Griss

Are you guys playing together online? I would love to be able to play with some other gaffers. I live in Japan so my schedule probably won't fit most of you guys, but still...

I'm playing with Gaffers right now, I just have no idea how it works, haha.

drotahorror

Just started playing the game Is there any reason to do 50cc, 100cc? Or should I just start up the 150cc? I'd rather play the faster game mode, but if the unlocks are in the other speeds, that's fine.

aza

How does one take screenshots?

--

Anyone feel like there's not enough content here?
I mostly played nothing but 50cc today to clear it out, so it was a little boring, but all the tracks feel a bit samey somehow.. I don't know what it is. It's like there's no challenge in the driving itself. I could do these tracks in my sleep, the first time around.

Everything feels a little more simplified too somehow.. And I can't really explain.

I mean it's smooth, it's entertaining.. But there are no new modes or content. It's just Mario Kart with some new tweaks that don't impact how one actually plays the game.
The antigravity stuff, most of the time, is imperceptible and is at it's most interesting when tracks have multiple paths or surfaces to race on at once. I feel like there's a lot more unexplored potential in the concept.

Mario Kart TV is so simple, once you've seen a few replays, you've seen them all, unfortunately. Can anyone think of a legitimate reason why it couldn't have been a deeper feature?

I'm sure it will hook me a bit more when I start playing 100CC and up, .. though now I'm wondering if playing 100cc/150cc and time trials will actually unlock anything. I've got all but 4 characters already and kart parts seem to be based solely on coins.

Tried Battle Mode before stopping for the evening, and could barely stand a single 5 minute round. Certainly this game's weakest feature.

Right now I'd have to give it a solid 6/10, but I expect I'll get into it a bit more in the days ahead.. Just worried about that sudden loss of interest that often happens with Nintendo games.

As it's already been mentioned, 50cc is painfully slow and that's probably why it seemed boring to you. Skip to 150cc and get a good hold of drift and trick boosts and you'll see that the game can get really wild.

Have to go back tomorrow and get the remaining 3 stars I didn't get on the 50 cc (buddy screwed me twice with blue shells on the final lap QQ, once he just legit out raced me). Probably won't dip into online play until I've beat all the single player CCs at 3 star level.

Griss

Just started playing the game Is there any reason to do 50cc, 100cc? Or should I just start up the 150cc? I'd rather play the faster game mode, but if the unlocks are in the other speeds, that's fine.

Start at 150cc, there's no reason to do anything else.

Over lunch, me and a friend started trying to come up with a conservative list of potential DLC characters. We might have gone a little overboard.

Dry Bones
Diddy Kong
Funky Kong
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Birdo
Bowser Jr./Baby Bowser
Dry Bowser
Meowser
King Boo/Boo
Wiggler
Honey Queen
Luma
Lubba
Nabbit
Boom Boom
Pom Pom
Kamek
Pianta
Sprixies/Sprixie Princesses
Captain Toad
Plessie
Petey Piranha

hutna

NNiD hutna in the tournament. My first time online and on some of these courses. To say the game is entertaining me is an understatement.

TheXbox

Nintendo, I will buy DLC that lets me disable red shells and blue shells. I am that stupid and that fucking desperate. I will pay you for this.

Weird myself saying this but damn they need more rubberbanding on online, had some dude come first like 10 tracks in a row, he seemed to already knew the perfect routes/shortcuts.

Mik2121

I'm playing with Gaffers right now, I just have no idea how it works, haha.

Are you on the GAF Race room in Mario Kart? I just entered it and there's only 2 people, Smashman45 and Contralto.

Edit: Wonder if I'm in some sort of second room or something, and the first room is all packed?

Griss

Are you on the GAF Race room in Mario Kart? I just entered it and there's only 2 people, Smashman45 and Contralto.

Edit: Wonder if I'm in some sort of second room or something, and the first room is all packed?

I've been racing Contralto like every second race so you're probably in the right place.

#passednetwreckersscore

Waluigi paying the bills.

ibrFOoiuhjoO5N.gif

It gives you two coins, is pretty awesome early in a race when everyone is close and coins are tight to help get an early coin lead, late race it's generally a terrible thing to get though it can help if you get hit by a red or blue shell.

Awesome, and what do coins do for you this go around? In the SNES game it helped you avoid spinouts I think if you clashed with someone that had fewer coins than you.

Day 1 impressions:

Feels a lot like Mario Kart 7 HD to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, as I consider Mario Kart 7 to be one of the better games in the series. I just think that this is perhaps the Mario Kart most unchanged from its predecessor.

At first I thought I was going to absolutely LOATHE having dragged items take up the item slot, but I actually warmed up to it pretty quickly, and I think it puts this game's item balance over Wii's and 7's. Also, surprisingly, I found Coin to be the most interesting new item, more or less serving as "insurance" for players farther ahead. I feel like the dynamic of the game is a bit more coin-centric than 7 due to higher-placed players often having larger coin stocks, but I guess I'll see how it plays out in the long run.

Roster unlocking was a pain, but I mean, whatever. Only character I was interested in unlocking was Rosalina but she (along with Baby Rosalina) ended up being my last unlocks, heh. Opening up the character select screen hoping for the character you want only to get another Koopaling kinda puts the imbalance of the roster into perspective (but that's just speaking as someone who doesn't care about the Koopalings, really.)

Online pretty much works as well as I could hope. No unpleasant surprises, really. Started out joining a friend's game and had some good matches and fun voice chat. Played a decent number of rounds in the GAF tournament and that was really fun too. Lots of really competitive races, definitely looking forward to playing more with you guys in the future.

I started out a bit down on the game due to essentially feeling like 7 with, what I considered at the time, a change to the item system punishing good performance. It eventually grew on me once I found a vehicle I liked and started strategizing around the new item system, and since then I found I've been enjoying it more every match. Oh, and obviously the game looks great and all that. Can't say it'll end up being my favorite Mario Kart (my Kart of choice is DS and I'm pretty certain they're not gonna be going back to that game's mechanics any time soon), but it's been a lot of fun so far.

Anyways, my Mii goes by SRT, thanks to those who played with me and I look forward to playing more~

enoki

I've been racing Contralto like every second race so you're probably in the right place.

Yeah, there are definitely two lobbies going. One is full, and the other seems to have 5 of us.

EDIT: I recall MK7 lobbies running the same way.

Griss

Seriously what does the coin powerup do?

It gives a tiny boost to top speed, apparently.

The real reason it's there is to introduce risk for the leader dropping defensive items on the prime racing line. Before you knew you'd get something with every box, so the leader could drop an endless stream of defense. Now they can't do that. And that's great.

TopGun

Banned
Mario Kart 8 is the most fun I've had playing video games in months. Not going to lie. Played with my brother for a few hours today and we're evenly matched. The game mixed with trash talking and some light booze makes for a hell of an evening.

Visually, the game is stunning. Electrodome, Mount Wario, Toad Harbor, Rainbow Road, and Cloudtop Cruise have amazing visuals, 720p or not, it's damn impressive. I notice the lack of AA in static sequences such as the countdown and menu sequences, otherwise the constant motion doesn't make jagged lines obvious. I'm yet to really play the game on the Game Pad screen, so I don't know how it really looks on that screen.

Gameplay wise, I haven't had a single frame drop. Watching the games in Slow-Mo on MKTV, you can see that the special effects like sparks and waves run at a different frame rate. But in real time, everything is smooth. I'm surprised Driveclub is going to be 30FPS, 60FPS is the way to go in driving games.

My only complaints so far: Roster sucks, and you can't hold another item while having one other item tail behind your kart.

Top Bottom