• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

NotLiquid

wBhNvO3.gif

My NNID is Geistbox if any of you feel like adding me for potential races.

Bankoiia

This game is really great! Doing some online races right now, and it's surprisingly fluid. Add NNID: Bankoiia for those who want/are able to join.

Xun

Just added myself to the spreadsheet.

Probably not going to get it next week (I need to try and finish some other games before getting another one), but I'll definitely get it soon.

I just know that getting it next week would just stop me from playing anything else for a long time. :(

Makai

Seems like this micro stutter "only" happen when you're playing against CPU controlled opponents.
Does it run at 29fps during local multiplayer?

EDIT: And how many players have to be playing locally for the framerate to be divided by two?

I apologize if this has been answered already, but it's rather important for my household.

Does anyone know if you can unlock stuff in the game while playing 2player mode? Mario Kart Wii didn't allow this, and thus, a fun game for me and my wife, turned into her just watching me race the same tracks over and over again. Plus, the 2player team GP mode was just terrible.

The wife is excited about this game, but I know if we get it, and it turns out we can't really play it together, she's going to be pretty miffed about it.

Roo

I apologize if this has been answered already, but it's rather important for my household.

Does anyone know if you can unlock stuff in the game while playing 2player mode? Mario Kart Wii didn't allow this, and thus, a fun game for me and my wife, turned into her just watching me race the same tracks over and over again. Plus, the 2player team GP mode was just terrible.

The wife is excited about this game, but I know if we get it, and it turns out we can't really play it together, she's going to be pretty miffed about it.
Yes you can.
Now Grand Prix can be played in multiplayer so you and your wife can unlock everything together.

rocK`

Banned
sorry if posted before but what are the control options?

I hate using the wiimote/wheel and would rather go for a standard controller...is that option allowed?

B00TE

Man, it's gonna be a long week. Happy to hear team racing is online though not sure if it'd keep friends together on the same team. Also would like it if you could set AI in custom matches online, my friends and I would spend hours on MKWii's team racing in local multiplayer.

big_erk

Yes you can.
Now Grand Prix can be played in multiplayer so you and your wife can unlock everything together.

Mario Kart has been a family tradition in my house since 64. My wife, our 15yo son and myself will be putting some serious time into this next weekend, in between visits to Worlds of Fun (I love The Prowler rollercoaster).

Jackano

Posted? In France Micromania have another pre-order gift:
livre_mk8.jpg

It's a book about Mario Kart history. You may think meh at first like me, but in fact, it is wrote by Florent Gorges, best known for books like the Story of Nintendo or his Gumpei Yoko biography.

l-histoire-de-nintendo-vol1.jpg
gunpei-yokoi-vie-et-philosophie-du-dieu-des-jouets-nintendo.jpg

So this is pretty cool. Because if you buy the premium edition, you got the game, and the blue shell trophy, and a bullet-Bill or red shell keyholder, and a download code for another Wii U game, and the book. Dat promotion.

Also, posters in Micromania stores indicates the book and the keyholders has been edited to 25k units. It may be a good indication of Nintendo France expectations.
Funny enough, F. Gorges said on his fb page it will be his most printed book to date!

Posted? In France Micromania have another pre-order gift:
livre_mk8.jpg

It's a book about Mario Kart history. You may think meh at first like me, but in fact, it is wrote by Florent Gorges, best known for books like the Story of Nintendo or his Gumpei Yoko biography.

Do you have more information about the book? Is there a preview, how many pages, what more precisely it contains?

Mithos

Gold Member
Well it's 60/59fps for 1-2 players and 30/29?fps for 3-4 players. Online 2 player splitscreen is 60/59? as well.

Yes and No. Lets ignore the 1fps framedrop when racing against CPU controlled opponents to make this easier.

When playing 1 or 2 players you indeed get 60fps.
When playing 3 or 4 players, well this is when it apparently get strange.

Player 1 and 2 part of screen is indeed 30fps, and the player 3 and 4 part is indeed 30fps, but the entire screen of 1, 2 ,3, 4 player is 60fps :O

Digital Foundry vs MK8 said:
At first glance the four-player split-screen mode appears to operate at 30fps, but if you look closer you'll notice something interesting: the HUD updates at 60Hz. Digging deeper we were able to determine that the complete image is still updated 60 times per second with the top and bottom sections refreshing on alternative frames.

Jackano

Do you have more information about the book? Is there a preview, how many pages, what more precisely it contains?

Nope nothing I can find atm :/ My bet is a double page for each of the Mario Kart games, at the very least.
Micromania said it is worth 14.99€, so it will be probably available for sell separately.

What are the amount of local people with you that you can bring online? Is it still just you and 1 guest? Or can 4 people in the same room play online?

I just remembered that you can add people you recently played online with as friends, so once GAF is playing together in a Tournament (Community) it should be easy to just add people.

Wouldn't 3-4 players rendering at 30fps put you at an automatic disadvantage versus all the other racers? Maybe they can't figure out how to cross the streams without hurting the intended experience.

A lower framerate only means worse fluidity, it doesn't slow down the actual speed of game. Your example is actually what happens in MKWii : 1-player online is 60fps, while 2-player online is 30fps, and both these setups can play against each other.

So is someone messing with the spreadsheet? I'm don't think "fjklzljfhlö" is on gaf. I also remember Currygan having the same timezone column (word for word) as me and has mysteriously disappeared.

UK GAF. My local toys r' us store just got the demo kiosk update disc which of course has Mario kart 8 on it.

Those things take an age to update. First screen is your black screen block verification thing (not sure if NAND or disc) then a more Wii system menu NAND installation bit and then photos have to taken during the process and of the system afterwards (to verify everything is working...no damaged screens or funny errors etc).

Btw, those kiosk units seem to be 32gb white systems. Confusion much?

Anyway there were 8 or 10 tracks to play 1 or 2 player, possibly shortened to 2 laps (the one course I played the airport was 2 laps) probably the same thing Gamestop has in America.

It should be noted the GAME store nearby had not done theirs yet. Either the disc literally just arrived in the post or GAME have a different procedure. In any case I'd expect them to be up and running in the places with Wii U dmeo kiosks in the next few days.

BowieZ

Banned
A message:

Due to unforeseen revelations in the Digital Foundry thread, I ask that all GAFers who recently added me to their Friends List remove me to free up space.

I will be sitting this generation of Kart out. Sorry.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
A message:

Due to unforeseen revelations in the Digital Foundry thread, I ask that all GAFers who recently added me to their Friends List remove me to free up space.

Done. kthxbi

Caladrius

A message:

You do realize Online is still going to be 60fps right?

daripad

Any mexicans around here? I don't know where to preorder my game, I don't know if I want the poster or the pull kart, which would you chose guys? I'm considering the poster because Gameplanet didn't fail with my Pokemon preorder and even had the game two days before official release

ffdgh

A message:

I don't blame you. Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot. :(
/s

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can't for the life of me see that duplicate frame, and I usually see framerate differences no problem.

I'm actually grateful for that.

Top Bottom