• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Kinsei

Banned
I just got back from the Best Buy event here in Canada and the game is amazing. I was just expecting a demo, but they had the full game up for us to play. A group of us ended up playing through the Mushroom, Flower, and Shell cups in 4 player GP and it was a blast. I would have stuck around for the full 4 hours, instead of just two and a half, but I really needed to use the washroom.

The only bad thing about the event was the confirmation that Smash Bros will be the only E3 demo available to play this year.

Proven

Yes and No. Lets ignore the 1fps framedrop when racing against CPU controlled opponents to make this easier.

When playing 1 or 2 players you indeed get 60fps.
When playing 3 or 4 players, well this is when it apparently get strange.

Player 1 and 2 part of screen is indeed 30fps, and the player 3 and 4 part is indeed 30fps, but the entire screen of 1, 2 ,3, 4 player is 60fps :O

Okay, that's actually really cool, but adds more fuel to the fire that adding multiplayer with the Gamepad was something that was either going to take too long or was unfeasible with the hardware at this quality level.

Clockwork5

I am so excited for this title!!! I have at least a dozen friends / co-workers coming over for a MK8 party next Sunday! Keg, Food, Activities! Not bad for a Nintendo nerd in his early 30s

:)

God how I love local multiplayer!

imae

Do tournaments essentially cycle forever until deleted unless set at a 'Fixed Period' with a Start and End Date?

I'm sure it'll all be clear as soon as I play it. Tournaments look like a great feature, and I love how a Miiverse community is automatically created when a tournament is set up.

Do tournaments essentially cycle forever until deleted unless set at a 'Fixed Period' with a Start and End Date?

I'm sure it'll all be clear as soon as I play it. Tournaments look like a great feature, and I love how a Miiverse community is automatically created when a tournament is set up.
It's also going to be really cool to be able to post replays on Miiverse and in this thread. How awesome would be if, once GAF tournaments finish, we have replays of each race uploaded so that people can actually watch how the races went down? Super exciting.

I already have WindWaker but I have seriously been contemplating getting it digital to always have on my hd... It's only 2GB or so. I have all the other games except Wii Party.

iKhayal18

Nice to see my friend list keeps growing! Thanks to all the people that added me :)

Wether it is at 59 or 60 fps, I know that this is going to be awesome. I cannot wait to play in the NeoGAF community :). Did any of the fortunate early players say if the game has voice chat on community lobbies or is it just when you play with friends?

Some ID advertising again: iKhayal

Baleoce

I already have WindWaker but I have seriously been contemplating getting it digital to always have on my hd... It's only 2GB or so. I have all the other games except Wii Party.

I have MH3U on 3DS, but I think I'm going to get it on Wii U as well xD Still quite expensive in the UK at retail.

What??? Mario Kart 8 runs at 59 FPS?? Pre order cancelled 1fps makes a huuuuge difference
Hahaha I'm only kidding the game plays and look amazing just played it at Gamestop!

corn_fest

I added some people from the list that I either recognized or picked randomly - feel free to add me if you want. Otherwise I suppose I'll end up finding people through the GAF tournaments and such.

Feel free to add me (JambiSun). I've got a great group of friends from Injustice:GAU that will be playing and competing for sure. I'd love to have some Gaffers to play as well! 6 more days...

Farmboy

Got it earlier this week (early access for a videoproject), believe the hype. Course design is amazing. The classic courses (at least those pre-GameCube) have been updated so heavily they're basically all new, so it easily has the most new courses of any installment and easily the most epic as well.

Graphics and music are great, though a little hit and miss, ranging from Cloud Top Cruise (awesome music, great look) to the Electrodome (kinda ugly), with most courses fortunately closer to the former. Favorite course is probably the Wario Mountain, but every track #4 is incredible.

150cc is proving quite the challenge; I haven't gotten more than silver (having golded and mostly three-starred 50 & 100)!

Suggestions on best vehicle are welcome. I'm using a medium or heavy character on the jetbike with cushion wheels (and the cloud glider).

Deku Tree

Got it earlier this week (early access for a videoproject), believe the hype. Course design is amazing. The classic courses (at least those pre-GameCube) have been updated so heavily they're basically all new, so it easily has the most new courses of any installment and easily the most epic as well.

Graphics and music are great, though a little hit and miss, ranging from Cloud Top Cruise (awesome music, great look) to the Electrodome (kinda ugly), with most courses fortunately closer to the former. Favorite course is probably the Wario Mountain, but every track #4 is incredible.

150cc is proving quite the challenge; I haven't gotten more than silver (having golded and mostly three-starred 50 & 100)!

Suggestions on best vehicle are welcome. I'm using a medium or heavy character on the jetbike with cushion wheels (and the cloud glider).

Good to know. The wait is difficult.

BTM

Watched someone play this at a local store and it just made me want to buy a Wii U that much more. The Wii U shall be mine soon.

Did the stealing mushrooms when they around circling around you start this game or in 7?

You don't steal mushrooms in Mario Kart 8. When you touch someone else's mushroom you'll get a speed boost (shorter than the actual mushroom boost) and the person will keep his mushroom.

In Mario Kart 7, the Triple Mushroom item didn't make the 3 mushrooms rotate around your vehicle, however it was possible to steal someone else's mushroom from a Lucky 7. In this case the person loses his mushroom and you get a boost identical to the usual mushroom boost.

However, we do not know yet how it works for the mushroom in the Crazy 8 of Mario Kart 8.

Did the stealing mushrooms when they around circling around you start this game or in 7?

Technically 7 with the lucky 7 item. But 8 is the first with circling triple mushroom.

You don't steal mushrooms in Mario Kart 8. When you touch someone else's mushroom you'll get a speed boost (shorter than the actual mushroom boost) and the person will keep his mushroom.

In Mario Kart 7, the Triple Mushroom item didn't make the 3 mushrooms rotate around your vehicle, however it was possible to steal someone else's mushroom from a Lucky 7. In this case the person loses his mushroom and you get a boost identical to the usual mushroom boost.

However, we do not know yet how it works for the mushroom in the Crazy 8 of Mario Kart 8.

Yeah that. I didn't realise it doesn't steal the mushroom, odd.

mo60

I still suck at using the Wii wheel. I at least managed to get 1st place a couple of times.The lowest I got in a race was 10th. I used yoshi when I played at the best buy event I went to.Sadly, not that many people went to that best buy to play the demo for the game. The reps explained everything about mario kart 8 to almost everyone that played.The reps talked about the WiiU to some of the people that were interested in buying the console. A couple of WiiU's were sold during the event. And the image quality of the game is decent, but I did notice some jaggies on the screen at times.I never noticed that weird framerate drop at all DF was talking about in their article.

Got to play the demo today at Target. I guess they recently updated their demo kiosk recently because it was found there along with the rest of the demos. May be worth checking out your local Target if anyone is interested. It was actually a pretty decent demo with all of the characters available, a few karts available and about 6 tracks.

Top Bottom