• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Poona

Not really enjoying this compared to the wii version.

I loved doing wheelies (especially with the quacker) and can't do that anymore. :(

Not really liking the audio in this version either. Don't know what it is but their voices seem more muted compared to wii version and I don't think there's a way to turn that up.

Oh and battle mode. Thought that was about arenas, not normal tracks.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why are people going thru 50cc then 100cc? Completing 150cc overwrites 50cc and 100cc. So if you only have ever played 150cc, if you get three star then you'll have three star on 50cc and 100cc as well without having to actually play it.

Because it's fun progressing.

enoki

Welp, it's 4AM. I can't justify staying awake much longer.

Awesome races, thanks! I can't wait to wake up and play tomorrow.

Added my name in the spread sheet I'm also attempting to get in the OT group, but it always seems either empty or I get communication errors.

imae

You have to play Mirror Mode to unlock all the characters.

I unlocked all characters by just getting (gold?) cups, got most characters from playing 50cc before moving directly to 150 and getting the rest. Haven't touched mirror mode yet.

Broritos

what is mirror mode?

A mode where all tracks are mirrored. So right turns are now left and vice verse.

Because it's fun progressing.

I'm asking because a lot of people do it just so they can three star everything but if you're capable and find 50cc and 100cc too easy then you can skip it and still get three stars on everything.

That's not true.

How are they unlocked? I've only played 150cc and Mirror Mode and I unlocked all characters.

I unlocked all characters by just getting (gold?) cups, got most characters from playing 50cc before moving directly to 150 and getting the rest. Haven't touched mirror mode yet.

Oh I see. So it's based on how many cups you've completed I guess.

Feltrol

Banned
It must be written somewhere, but how do all the GAFfers in this thread play together?

Quote this:

NeoGAF'S TOURNAMENTS ARE OFFICIALLY OPEN!!

iNKIdoFZZFhnS.png

QUOTE TO SEE

ibkolyBnfmyMyh.png

QUOTE TO SEE

Jucksalbe

Banned
How are they unlocked? I've only played 150cc and Mirror Mode and I unlocked all characters.

You just have to place 1st in a Grand Prix. Characters are unlocked randomly, so it doesn't matter which class you're playing. You can also unlock them in 50cc or 100cc.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why are people going thru 50cc then 100cc? Completing 150cc overwrites 50cc and 100cc. So if you only have ever played 150cc, if you get three star then you'll have three star on 50cc and 100cc as well without having to actually play it.

I feel like I just wasted an afternoon. Didn't know this.

I added my ID to the spreadsheet but I thought I'd throw it in here too: CyanideFuse

I don't have any friends yet :( as I just got the system.

komplanen

Fucking Gamepad battery ran out twice tonight. Worthless piece of shit almost as bad as people who don't play either of the baby girls. Fuck you all and fuck your fucking shells and shit. Fucking shit! Stupid fucking game... STUPID! grr

Broritos

Fucking Gamepad battery ran out twice tonight. Worthless piece of shit almost as bad as people who don't play either of the baby girls. Fuck you all and fuck your fucking shells and shit. Fucking shit! Stupid fucking game... STUPID! grr

This is why online voice chat is needed during a race.

Had a lengthy session of mario kart with a couple of friends tonight. Managed to finally unlock all the characters after many frustrating attempts in the 150cc cups. I'd suggest unlocking everything by going through 50cc first. I don't see it as a waste at all. It let's you experiment with the different characters, karts, and extras, as well as it lets you get familiarized with all of the new tracks and nuances of each track. If you do what we did and start at 100cc, you'll find yourself having to finish gold on all the 150cc tracks to unlock the last few characters and it's a pain. I think playing with more people in the Grand Prix mode is actually harder than doing it solo, which may be why others haven't had as much trouble unlocking everything (tonight it was me and 2 friends all playing). It's like the computer increases the difficulty to account for extra non-computer players.

Finally (probably doesn't really need to be spoilered), from the games I played tonight, it seems like the best stats to go for are the extremes. Either pick the fast, heaviest players and use them to out-distance all the chaos from the middle of the pack, or go for the quickest acceleration and handling to compensate from getting booty banged by cheap computer AI. My personal favs are Morton/Sport Bike/Slick Tires/MKTV Chute or Baby Peach/Mr. Scooty/Slick Tires/MKTV Chute Wish Roy was a max heavy character, cuz I love his personality the best, but Morton is pretty hilarious to listen to as well. He sounds like Opie from Family Guy. And I don't know how anyone gets through the new rainbow road course without using someone with super good handling. There's no way to make the turns as a heavy weight. zippo nada none

Top Bottom