• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

whiteape

You'll get small speed boost with each coin and you can also unlock vechiles when you have collecte enough coins.

I believe every coin you have in your possession give a 1% bonus to speed, but I'm not positive about that.

Once you have 10 you can't get any more, BUT you're still adding to your 'unlocking' total. Again, not positive about that but I've unlocked something worth 50 coins after only 4 races so it pretty much must be the case.

Thank you!

Finally Yodel... FINALLY
Bo9o4FoIAAA2u-D.jpg

Neff

I really hope this will be Nintendo's first significant post launch support game.

Mario Kart 8 desperately needs:
  1. An options menu.
  2. To display information on the television when the game pad screen is turned off.
  3. A completely new Battle Mode with 8 real arenas.

Agree with all of this. And if the frame dupe is something to do with the game taking notes for replay data, as I assume it is, then I'd like an option for it to be turned off.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. Game is fucking glorious.

The coin power up is so annoyingly useless. I must get given one every other item box.

Trust me, when you're flat out, a full ten coins is something you notice, and really gives you an edge. It's definitely worth getting coins, and holding onto them.

lewisgone

The game turned up! So far I've gone through all the new tracks on 100cc, and played some online. Every single track so far has been incredible. Best Mario Kart game for sure, I love it.

scitek

I really hope this will be Nintendo's first significant post launch support game.

Mario Kart 8 desperately needs:
  1. An options menu.
  2. To display information on the television when the game pad screen is turned off.
  3. A completely new Battle Mode with 8 real arenas.

They need to fix that fucking frame hitching, too. It's subtle but noticeable to me.

Is this game native 1080p or 720p, do we know?

Canti

NeoGAF room is insane, some real pros in there. Had some really close races (UK - ID: Ry) and others where I was just beaten into submission XD

Will be back later! <I'll get you next time!>

Mistle

So does the community go down for half an hour every week? Haha

And how do the rankings work? Are the scores specific to each community, and reset every week?

leng jai

I couldn't be assed getting up early so I missed out on the $52 Big W deal. It's amazing how a $5 off print out attracts all the bargain hunters. A lot of Big Ws seem to be sold out around Australia too. I just walked to the Target next door who had plenty and paid $58 instead. Funny thing is that EB was absolutely full with people lining up and paying the full $80 with a big grin on their face. $58 for MK8 day one and Wonderful 101 is an insane deal.

#straya

I bought Wii U Mario Kart 8 Bundle today just to play this game, although personally I'm not sure about the future about Wii U itself but whatever, MK8 looks fun to play.

I'll try this game soon enough after I'm done with the update.

Exentryk

Which code are we using for the GAF OT race? I used the one ending with 91 and there is no one there.

EDIT - OKay I am spectating now. The race with Benny in it. HOpe I don't get a comm error.

Tried playing single player when I woke up. This is not a good hangover game.

Also, post has been, but still no physical Mario Kart. Thanks, Amazon Prime.

Uh-oh. My post hasn't been yet but if my game isn't there I'm gonna have to download and maybe return the Amazon copy when it arrives. It's ridiculous, I pay for this one-day shipping and if they don't even send it to arrive within two days of being sent it's stupid.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised at the 150cc complaints. I jumped in on that and it's more or less typical Mario Kart. Definitely has its brutal moments, but it wouldn't be a Mario Kart game otherwise.

Anyone got a video that showcases how to maximize speed when in flight with the glider - I only remember that you have to tilt, but not the exact method - and when to start spinning your wheels to achieve a start boost?

Griss

Anyone got a video that showcases how to maximize speed when in flight with the glider - I only remember that you have to tilt, but not the exact method - and when to start spinning your wheels to achieve a start boost?

I don't know about the glider, but with the start it's the moment the number 2 is fully visible and stationary on the screen. Before that, you burn out, after that, you don't get the full boost. That's my experience. Right when that number 2 is fully there, that's the moment. For a full boost the window is surprisingly small, it's frustrating in time trials.

I know it's no surprise but why do they make the 150cc AI so bloody transparent! 90% of races end with a blue shell and/or a barrage of similar shit on the last few or even very last corners. After coasting for 2.5 perfect laps only to have ur 3 star rank get shot to shit... It's just not worth it. Having the ranking is not an indicator of skill it's a sign that the player is a goddamn masochist!

Also, question about the voice chat. Is there a way to turn off the gamepad's microphone? I'd rather not annoy people with whatever random noises it may decide to transmit.

I don't know about the glider, but with the start it's the moment the number 2 is fully visible and stationary on the screen. Before that, you burn out, after that, you don't get the full boost. That's my experience. Right when that number 2 is fully there, that's the moment. For a full boost the window is surprisingly small, it's frustrating in time trials.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Griss

Whoever came up with the coin and super horn items needs a raise or a promotion - they'd seem lame on paper but they're brilliant. The piranha plant and boomerang are also great. Each of them serves such an obvious purpose in the game design that makes the entire game so much better.

Coin: Reduce the leader advantage inherent to MK (it's still an issue, but it's reduced). This has allowed them to turn the amount of blue shells WAY down, while keeping the leader close and increasing the value of the red shell hugely. It also makes leading a race far more fun, as you can't go on autopilot any more. The coins are also more apparent in how much faster you go this time around. You really want to have 10 coins. It's worth it to go off the racing line every now and again to get them.

Super horn: Again, this is a 'leader's item'. It's to entice the leader to drop his defense in the hopes of getting this to defend a blue shell, but if he does so he may end up with only a coin, meaning he has no defence at all. There's risk and reward there. When you risk it and do get the horn, knowing you'll be able to see yourself home in first, that's a hell of a feeling.

Boomerang: An item that can break through defense. This was needed.

Piranha Plant: A much funner way to speed up a bad player and attack others than the Bullet Bill, which is now as rare as gold dust, and thankfully so.

I know it's no surprise but why do they make the 150cc AI so bloody transparent! 90% of races end with a blue shell and/or a barrage of similar shit on the last few or even very last corners. After coasting for 2.5 perfect laps only to have ur 3 star rank get shot to shit... It's just not worth it. Having the ranking is not an indicator of skill it's a sign that the player is a goddamn masochist!

This is the exact opposite of my experience. Blue shells are rare as hell in single player, and in 150cc you can be half a lap ahead of the computer so it doesn't matter if you do get hit. 3-starring these grands prix has been really, really easy imo.

Baleoce

Sucks that you can't upload full races. "This clip is too long, edit it to 60 seconds"

Why? Why does it matter? It's my bandwidth being used.

hamchan

That is something I've noticed, Blue Shells are surprisingly rare. First place is usually to coast along, at least on lower difficulties.

I normally get hit by at least one per race in 150cc.

EDIT: Also one little complaint about this fantastic game. I dislike how many babies and koopalings there are. Like every single koopaling is in this game, it's crazy.

Top Bottom