• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Mr. Sam

The items have been really well balanced, particularly after Mario Kart Wii, which I felt was borderline unplayable at times. That said, I'm still getting cause to yell "THAT'S BULLSHIT!" at my TV on a regular basis - e.g. when I'm on the last glide jump of a track and miraculously get hit by something just before I hit the crest, plunging me into the abyss and wrecking my entire GP - so it's still Mario Kart.

RoySFNR

Changed my Mii to my GAF name and ready to take some names in the tournament. Might also stream a bit for people who don't have the game yet if there is interest.

Zomba13

The items have been really well balanced, particularly after Mario Kart Wii, which I felt was borderline unplayable at times. That said, I'm still getting cause to yell "THAT'S BULLSHIT!" at my TV on a regular basis - e.g. when I'm on the last glide jump of a track and miraculously get hit by something just before I hit the crest, plunging me into the abyss and wrecking my entire GP - so it's still Mario Kart.

Or getting hit by a red shell, then some guy with a star, then a green shell and then being in last place. Still the Mario Kart we all love and call bullshit on :D

Hasney

Tried playing single player when I woke up. This is not a good hangover game.

Also, post has been, but still no physical Mario Kart. Thanks, Amazon Prime.

hamchan

Just want to say that this game is really barebones in terms of modes but gets away with it because the core gameplay is so great.

Roundillo

Neo Member
By the time my power came back on I had a migraine attack. I was able to play later that night. The game lives up to the hype. The controls are spot on. Really loving the tracks I have played so far. Since I am dyslexic and can not figure out how to quote the op to log my NNID please feel free to add me, If you want to give me a link to so I can learn how to quote things that would be cool too. Seams like the quote thing gets used a lot.

NNID: Roundillo
US central time.

Hasney

Amazon: Your parcel was sent by an untrackable method so we can’t confirm its exact location. It’s been our experience that the majority of late parcels arrive shortly after the estimated delivery date.

Yay Prime. Also, no shit.

EDIT:

Me: Do you know if it was sent first class or special delivery?
Amazon: It was send via Royal Mail.
Me: Yes, but they have different methods. Do you know if it was first class, recorded or special delivery?
Amazon: It was Royal Prime delivery.

I think I should call when my phone is charged , this is getting me nowhere!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just want to say that this game is really barebones in terms of modes but gets away with it because the core gameplay is so great.
I really hope this will be Nintendo's first significant post launch support game.

Mario Kart 8 desperately needs:
  1. An options menu.
  2. To display information on the television when the game pad screen is turned off.
  3. A completely new Battle Mode with 8 real arenas.

Dryk

This game is so slick, I love it. I can see myself playing this for a lot longer than I played MKWii... which was hardly any time at all.

Or getting hit by a red shell, then some guy with a star, then a green shell and then being in last place. Still the Mario Kart we all love and call bullshit on :D
It's okay when it happens every now and then, that's just how the game is played. The frequency with which it happened in Mario Kart Wii was BS. I always figured it was because they added four more players but forgot to change the item chances to suit that change.

Does anyone know at what coin amount do you stop getting new customization pieces? Unlocked all the characters (I think), and up to 650 coins so far, so I was just wondering.

Hasney

I really hope this will be Nintendo's first significant post launch support game.

1. An options menu.
  2. To display information on the television when the game pad screen is turned off.

1. Yes, with custom lobby messages
2. I prefer the lack of clutter myself, but options are always good and 1 should let us customize that anyway
3. Dear god yes

Nintendo haven't been too bad with patching in options. They patched in more controller support for NSMBU and new options for Pikmin 3 just last week, so I remain hopeful that they are listening and will change some things.

Vagabundo

Okay just managed to get a full on session of online and WOW. Any fans of MK from yesteryears need this game.

It's fucking tough though, all though French and German MK junkies are just way too good. I've only just started my climb back to the one grand mark.

Top notch music, courses, sound and silky smooth. Online was a bit rough at first, lots of comm errors, but I got at least ten matches in a row without any issues.

Intense, I can still feel the adrenaline.

This is definitely a console seller for any fans of arcade multiplayer racers. It's just way too much fun. I can't wait to get a MK party on a projector; four player battle mode glory.

I hope they release some Battle Mode DLC, extra Cups etc. I've never been a big DLC fan, but I'll be all over it for this game.

Amazon: It was Royal Prime delivery.

I think I should call when my phone is charged , this is getting me nowhere!

My MK8 & Watch Dogs turned up this morning and both had "Prime Large Letter" printed in a box on the label. Don't know if that will help your quest with RM.

Online is so good, and collecting Coins for upgrades is nice too, wasn't sure if they would do that.

How things are unlocked isn't clear. My friend has different unlocks to me (karts, wheels etc), yet I've played more than him and completed more GP events etc. Is it random?

1. An options menu.

+Save your previous kart combination even after rebooting the game like in MK7....

whiteape

I don't get why you can collect these coins ingame. They stack up until i have 10, then they don't stack anymore. What can i do with these 10 coins?

Also is there a way to do non random tricks? I just always press ZR and shake the pad and my driver does a random trick.

Mr. Sam

Amazon: Your parcel was sent by an untrackable method so we can’t confirm its exact location. It’s been our experience that the majority of late parcels arrive shortly after the estimated delivery date.

Yay Prime. Also, no shit.

I pre-ordered from Amazon without Prime and mine had arrived when I got in from work yesterday.

Griss

I don't get why you can collect these coins ingame. They stack up until i have 10, then they don't stack anymore. What can i do with these 10 coins?

Also is there a way to do non random tricks? I just always press ZR and shake the pad and my driver does a random trick.

I believe every coin you have in your possession give a 1% bonus to speed, but I'm not positive about that.

Once you have 10 you can't get any more, BUT you're still adding to your 'unlocking' total. Again, not positive about that but I've unlocked something worth 50 coins after only 4 races so it pretty much must be the case.

Inotti

You'll get small speed boost with each coin and you can also unlock vechiles when you have collecte enough coins.

Top Bottom