• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

hamchan

Yeah, I'm rather let down by the single player, considering I'm generally a single player only person. I enjoyed the tracks enough to give multiplayer a go though, and have had quite a bit of fun with it. Still need to try out battle mode.

You can pretty much view real players as harder bots since there's so little actual communication in the game. Multiplayer is essentially the same thing as single player really so you might as well stick with it.

Griss

Does anyone have a sense of who the popular characters online are yet?

From what I've seen everyone but the babies is seeing tons of use, it's awesome. The koopalings are popular too. They tend to be the ones way out in front, haha. Whenever I see someone playing Morton I'm wary. Morton players are good.

Gotcha, thanks for the breakdown. If I need a quick fix of guaranteed fun for a few days I'll probably get it.

If you're not for some reason entirely against it (or if there aren't technical limitations for it), the multiplayer in this game is very well implemented apart from some current connection issues. Racing is a blast even with completely random people.

Single player is still junk. The same grand prix and time trial modes they've been recycling for 20 years. No story mode stuff like Crash Team Racing or Diddy Kong Racing, or even a good/interesting single player mode like Sonic Racing Transformed's main mode or some challenging/compelling Challenges mode to play.

And the Battle Mode is complete shit. Its been going downhill for years, but Nintendo basically said "fuck it, just half-ass some of the tracks we already made into something, I don't know, who gives a fuck breh".

They nailed the core game, its the fastest, prettiest, well-balanced Mario Kart yet. But at the expense of pretty much everything else, there's not even a damn options menu. I can't even see what lap dudes are on while I'm spectating. The "editor" is a kinda crummy 60 second highlight reel thing with canned angles. Halo 3 replay viewer it is not.

There's so much good about Mario Kart 8, but it's still not as good as it could be. The lack of singleplayer modes/options (not even just singleplayer modes, but modes in general) is a real let down. Sonic Racing Transformed kind of spoiled me with its career mode. My friend and I were addicted to that game for a long time just trying to get 4 stars on every event.

SmokeMaxX

Sadly because of this, MKTV (at least from the perspective of uploading it to YouTube) is a gimmick that will be used for hte next month or so and then mostly forgotten about. People on YouTube will watch them for now so they can go "ooh this game is pretty, I might have to get this". But once that stage has subsided they'll have no reason to watch them, as the actual highlights do a poor job of showcasing what's going on in races, or making the viewer feel like they're actually watching a real race. They're not gonna relate to the races that are uploaded. The 60 second limit is ridiculous. It's our bandwidth, and our YouTube account. No reason for it.

Nah, this hits a different audience. Kids will LOVE this feature and will show their friends. It's true that the "core" won't like MKTV as it is now since videos will get repetitive and boring over time, but I think this is a great way to introduce video sharing to the entire family. Also, I think Nintendo will end up updating MKTV over time to give it more features.

Zafir

You can pretty much view real players as harder bots since there's so little actual communication in the game. Multiplayer is essentially the same thing as single player really so you might as well stick with it.

Yeah, that's probably why I'm fine with random multiplayer actually. Everyone smack talking each other and swearing is one of the main reasons I don't bother with multiplayer outside of MMOs, so not having it here is a god send for me. :p

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Damn you guys.

I may just have to bite the bulliet and get the MK8 bundle if Nintendo doesnt announce a Wii U price drop at E3.

Add yourself to the FootyGAF Mario Kart 8 spreadsheet, dude! Don't go missing now! :(

Even better, add me! 7pulga

I´ll add you when I get connected again, I decided to take a litlle break, this game is like crack!

If your are playing right now, go ahead and add me: CRAZY_SPIRIT.

Is the FootyGAF spreadsheet in the community OT?

Comandr

This game seems to rely on skill more so than the previous which is great but if your in last it's much more difficult to get to the front of the pack. I'm no noob when it comes to Mario Kart but I've rarely come in 1st now. I guess I never realized how much I relied on the super weapons. Good show Nintendo.

I don't feel like this is accurate at all. I consider myself a Mario Kart veteran, having played all of the games extensively. Playing multiplayer Grand Prix with a total gaming novice, I lost multiple times despite knowing the items and boost mechanics against someone that didn't know even how to drift.

It seemed like so much more blind luck and rubber banding AI than skill could ever achieve.

On an unrelated note, the lack of modes really sucks. And you can't even see the race times? There is literally no way to see the times at which each racer finished? At least not that I found. Absolutely ridiculous.

Every time I buy a Wii U game, I tell myself it's the last one I'm buying. Then someone suckers me into buying the next one. I swear if Smash weren't my baby, I'd be done.

/rant

Griss

None yet because it's day 2. But typically, it corrolates to whichever character is topping time trials in miiverse.

Nah, Day 2 is the best time to check popularity, because after a couple of days everyone will be using 'the best' rather than 'their favourite'. If you know what I mean. So I always enjoy seeing who people actually want to be before it settles in to who they think they're supposed to be. MK7 wasn't always a bunch of Metal Marios, you know.

Man my new Bowser on scooter setup is fantasic (I was NEVER a Bowser or bike player), your guys behaviour on the track not so much... bunch of dicks :p

Thanks for the games!

Zafir

I don't feel like this is accurate at all. I consider myself a Mario Kart veteran, having played all of the games extensively. Playing multiplayer Grand Prix with a total gaming novice, I lost multiple times despite knowing the items and boost mechanics against someone that didn't know even how to drift.

It seemed like so much more blind luck and rubber banding AI than skill could ever achieve.

That was my opinion on the AI personally. The AI are terrible drivers, even on 150cc, but they become 'good' through their crazy item luck.

Edit: It's worth noting, I don't think it's balances fault though, as in multiplayer it works fairly well. I just think the AI is a bit meh.

I haven't had that experience at all. It's much easier to get 3 stars in this game than in the past.

Unbelievable.

I've just had a text message from Yodel to say they have just delivered it, yet we have been sitting here waiting all day.

What an absolute joke.

No doubt the bastard delivery driver will just leave it in my back garden on Monday, making it look like he delivered it on time.

There's so much good about Mario Kart 8, but it's still not as good as it could be. The lack of singleplayer modes/options (not even just singleplayer modes, but modes in general) is a real let down. Sonic Racing Transformed kind of spoiled me with its career mode. My friend and I were addicted to that game for a long time just trying to get 4 stars on every event.

Yeah, really enjoyed the drift challenges and the boss races. Here, I can't even be assed to keep playing Grand Prix.

Its a very good game because the core gameplay loop is so polished and fun, but is still disappointing how bare bones a lot of it still feels. I'm not asking for it to become a MMORPG or some shit, but MK8 just hasn't taken the steps forward I wanted the franchise to go with. Hell, its still behind other entries in the series in some oddball ways, like not saving my customization like MK7 does, I have to select each piece every single time I join a race.

Mr. Sam

Only online success so far has been on Tick Tock Clock - and probably only because I know every single bump on that track from my time on Mario Kart DS.

Unbelievable.

I've just had a text message from Yodel to say they have just delivered it, yet we have been sitting here waiting all day.

What an absolute joke.

No doubt the bastard delivery driver will just leave it in my back garden on Monday, making it look like he delivered it on time.

Yodel are abysmal. Who did you order it through?

I wish there was a way to see what stamps you have without connecting to Miiverse. I just have to remember which drivers I've used in GP instead.

I'm thinking 3 stars might be doable for me this time (I only ever ended up with 1 in Wii) if it is just GP points and no invisible stuff.

I don't know about the glider, but with the start it's the moment the number 2 is fully visible and stationary on the screen. Before that, you burn out, after that, you don't get the full boost. That's my experience. Right when that number 2 is fully there, that's the moment. For a full boost the window is surprisingly small, it's frustrating in time trials.
That would explain why I'm having such big troubles in time trials.

Speaking of which. Why can I only race 1 ghost? F-Zero X could handle more than that (even if there was limited saving outside of the expansion pak).

Im sure its been asked before, but I gotta know, how the hell do i unlock Rosalina and Baby Rosalina???
Character unlocks are random based on winning GPs for the first time (so you can't just keep playing 50CC flower cup). I'm not sure if having the cups for lower CCs by playing higher CCs prevents you from using them to unlock.

Laconic

Banned
Can we switch button mapping? As a lefty, I REALLY want my powerslide on an L trigger. And a way to put rearview on an R trigger.

Semajer

The 150cc Lightning Cup is giving me a stomach ulcer. I can completely destroy the first three levels, but as soon as you hit Rainbow Road it becomes completely impossible to stay ahead of the 1st CPU, and if you don't get a good item before the final stretch there is literally nothing you can do.

If you're not for some reason entirely against it (or if there aren't technical limitations for it), the multiplayer in this game is very well implemented apart from some current connection issues. Racing is a blast even with completely random people.
It's good to hear online works pretty well, and it sounds like this is where Mario Kart 8 has an edge over others I've played. I'd definitely check out matchmaking, but personally I'd prefer to play with friends. Except I'm the only one who has a Wii U.

This game is kind of tough. I think I got gold on 2 out of 8 cups, silver or bronze on the rest. I usually just put up gold after gold on my first try in these kind of games.

How do I play online with GAF? I've never played Wii U online before and the OP isn't too clear to me...

Watching the tracks before this came out, I thought I would enjoy Flower cup the least, but it's actually the most fun I've had. I thought Toad Harbor would be Delfino Square levels of lameness but its actually pretty awesome. Twisted Mansion is just awesome, and might be my favorite track overall.

atr0cious

I'm my own worst enemy. I CAN MAKE THIS CORNER. -grass or cliff-
You need to go to time trials and figure your setup out, this may be the first Mario Kart(didnt play mk7)that feels like you can actually lose before you even start the race, based off your setup.

I've been trying to work DK, but so far nothing, so I'm hoping my further unlocks help.

The next 3D Mario game needs to have Peach's castle as it is in Royal Raceway because it looks stunning...

Just getting through these cups in single player and then I'll join in on the GAF fun!

Reckoner

Single player is still junk. The same grand prix and time trial modes they've been recycling for 20 years. No story mode stuff like Crash Team Racing or Diddy Kong Racing, or even a good/interesting single player mode like Sonic Racing Transformed's main mode or some challenging/compelling Challenges mode to play.

And the Battle Mode is complete shit. Its been going downhill for years, but Nintendo basically said "fuck it, just half-ass some of the tracks we already made into something, I don't know, who gives a fuck breh".

They nailed the core game, its the fastest, prettiest, well-balanced Mario Kart yet. But at the expense of pretty much everything else, there's not even a damn options menu. I can't even see what lap dudes are on while I'm spectating. The "editor" is a kinda crummy 60 second highlight reel thing with canned angles. Halo 3 replay viewer it is not.

I agree with you. Though, I think they should allow people to unlock characters playing online. I buy Mario Kart only to play online and having to play cups just to get more characters just doesn't feel fun.

Top Bottom