• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Just beat all cups on 50cc.

I have to say, this is definitely the best Mario Kart since Mario Kart DS. (In my defense: I found the Wii one to be pretty boring and I didn't play much of MK7.)

Some courses were awesome and really creative.
I like Mario's Raceway for basically being a Moebius Strip. I like how they rearranged some of the classic courses.
Everything just feels awesome.

I love this game.

When and where can I buy the soundtrack?!

69wpm

Whoever came up with the coin and super horn items needs a raise or a promotion - they'd seem lame on paper but they're brilliant. The piranha plant and boomerang are also great. Each of them serves such an obvious purpose in the game design that makes the entire game so much better.

I don't know if it's fun to be leading the entire race, getting only coin items, being bombarded with red shells and loosing the race in the last few corners :/ The items can be really unfair sometimes. There are maps where you basically cannot use your surroundings to block the red shell.

Griss

That is something I've noticed, Blue Shells are surprisingly rare. First place is usually to coast along, at least on lower difficulties.

I've just about 3 starred everything, and had about 30 races online. I have about 15 hours played. That's a lot of time, a lot of races and a lot of items.

I have:
-NEVER gotten a bullet bill.
-NEVER gotten lightning
-only gotten ONE blue shell
-only gotten ONE golden mushroom
-Have gotten more than TEN 'lucky 8' items

And I just did about 12 races in a row in single player without seeing a blue shell. The 'weapons of mass destruction' have been toned down hugely, with the exception of the 8.

It's not like I don't spend my time down in 8th-12th, either.

lewisgone

Whoever came up with the coin and super horn items needs a raise or a promotion - they'd seem lame on paper but they're brilliant. The piranha plant and boomerang are also great. Each of them serves such an obvious purpose in the game design that makes the entire game so much better.

Coin: Reduce the leader advantage inherent to MK (it's still an issue, but it's reduced). This has allowed them to turn the amount of blue shells WAY down, while keeping the leader close and increasing the value of the red shell hugely. It also makes leading a race far more fun, as you can't go on autopilot any more. The coins are also more apparent in how much faster you go this time around. You really want to have 10 coins. It's worth it to go off the racing line every now and again to get them.

Super horn: Again, this is a 'leader's item'. It's to entice the leader to drop his defense in the hopes of getting this to defend a blue shell, but if he does so he may end up with only a coin, meaning he has no defence at all. There's risk and reward there. When you risk it and do get the horn, knowing you'll be able to see yourself home in first, that's a hell of a feeling.

Boomerang: An item that can break through defense. This was needed.

Piranha Plant: A much funner way to speed up a bad player and attack others than the Bullet Bill, which is now as rare as gold dust, and thankfully so.

This is the exact opposite of my experience. Blue shells are rare as hell in single player, and in 150cc you can be half a lap ahead of the computer so it doesn't matter if you do get hit. 3-starring these grands prix has been really, really easy imo.

The coin works perfectly alongside the new/returning 1 held item rule. Dropping an item to get a new item box is risky, because you could end up with a coin and defenseless. Or you could get lucky and end up with a horn. It's cool.

jimi_dini

My only complain is that they chose to select "yes" as default for quit game.

That's like UI design 101. How can you do something like this.

Griss

I don't know if it's fun to be leading the entire race, getting only coin items, being bombarded with red shells and loosing the race in the last few corners :/ The items can be really unfair sometimes. There are maps where you basically cannot use your surroundings to block the red shell.

It had to be done, the leader advantage was too extreme. Even in this game, you'll see people get out into clear air and coast the whole race while the rest of the pack tears itself apart.

Defending was WAY too easy in MK Wii and MK7. They had to fix that. The red shell had to mean something again, and skilled item usage in first place had to mean something.

If you play well, you can still defend first place quite well. It takes two red shells in a row to take down a player who knows what they're doing, and with skill you can lure the second into a wall or some such anyway.

I personally love the balance, I think they've nailed it.

The coin works perfectly alongside the new/returning 1 held item rule. Dropping an item to get a new item box is risky, because you could end up with a coin and defenseless. Or you could get lucky and end up with a horn. It's cool.

Exactly. Whereas before it was:
-Get defensive item in first;
-Wait till next set of boxes
-Drop item on the racing line
-Get new item
-Rinse and repeat so that no one can use the racing line, and no one can attack you except for the losers at the back with lightning and blue shells.

Mistle

Only disappointing thing about this game (other than battle mode, maybe) is the new Rainbow Road. So much wasted potential.

Doesn't matter though. The rest of the game is phenomenal.

The last Mario Kart I played was Double Dash, which I loved, but I basically blew through everything in just a few days. Once I unlocked everything I felt like I was pretty much done. I was disappointed I didn't feel motivated to play the game outside of the extremely occasional chance of local multiplayer.

Compared to Double Dash does Mario Kart 8 have more options for someone who mostly plays solo? More challenges? More things to unlock and experiment with? I know the game would be fun, but I don't really want a repeat of my experience with Double Dash where I had a ton of fun for about 3-4 days and never really played it again.

Nice games in the GAF Tournament earlier! I was the "John" playing as Morton. General skill level in there is definitely higher than the general population!

Anyone got a video that showcases how to maximize speed when in flight with the glider - I only remember that you have to tilt, but not the exact method - and when to start spinning your wheels to achieve a start boost?

For the boost start: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oqE2HSp3gwM Helped me a lot.

Canti

I've just about 3 starred everything, and had about 30 races online. I have about 15 hours played. That's a lot of time, a lot of races and a lot of items.

I have:
-NEVER gotten a bullet bill.
-NEVER gotten lightning
-only gotten ONE blue shell
-only gotten ONE golden mushroom
-Have gotten more than TEN 'lucky 8' items

And I just did about 12 races in a row in single player without seeing a blue shell. The 'weapons of mass destruction' have been toned down hugely, with the exception of the 8.

It's not like I don't spend my time down in 8th-12th, either.
I've played about half as much as you, similarly I've only ever gotten 1 lightning, 1 blue shell but NO lucky 8s. On the plus side I must've had golden mushroom a good 15-20 times.

stoff

Only disappointing thing about this game (other than battle mode, maybe) is the new Rainbow Road. So much wasted potential.

I don't get this. The new RR is easily one of my favourites yet..

Does anyone else think that gliding in this game is a lot more on autopilot than in 7? I remember you could do lots of crazy shit with it. They must have nerfed it.

Griss

It's still a good track, it's just tough to have to compare it to the awesome N64 version or the similar 3DS version. I think they should have done something else but rainbow road this time, seeing as they had another, amazing one ready to go.

The last Mario Kart I played was Double Dash, which I loved, but I basically blew through everything in just a few days. Once I unlocked everything I felt like I was pretty much done. I was disappointed I didn't feel motivated to play the game outside of the extremely occasional chance of local multiplayer.

Compared to Double Dash does Mario Kart 8 have more options for someone who mostly plays solo? More challenges? More things to unlock and experiment with? I know the game would be fun, but I don't really want a repeat of my experience with Double Dash where I had a ton of fun for about 3-4 days and never really played it again.

No it doesn't. Single player is bare bones. 8 Grand Prix cups like always, then 32 staff ghosts to beat. That's your lot in single player, it'll last you about 12-18 hours trying to 3 star everything and beat the time trials if you want to.

Really, it's a multiplayer game.

Wow, I alone have been hit by a blue shell at least 6 times. I've never got one until now.

Oh, I get hit a fair few times, I'd say usually once every four races or so, but I've only ever 'gotten' one myself.

Hasney

Just got off the phone with Amazon, new estimated delivery is Wednesday.

I have the game digitally fortunatley, but hopefully any of you guys waiting for it is having better luck with it.

CzarTim

Is there a way to change the default settings for the wiimote from motion to analogue? The only way I've seen is the pause the game after a race starts.

Griss

Does anyone else think that gliding in this game is a lot more on autopilot than in 7? I remember you could do lots of crazy shit with it. They must have nerfed it.

Yeah, the hang-gliding sucks now for some reason. They don't want people to be able to abuse it, I think. It feels like your fighting the pre-set path your character wants to take, and it's not fun. Luckily the hang-gliding parts are short, and few and far between. They're mostly a replacement for rocket barrel parts as well as a way of transitioning between anti-grav back to normal racing. It's not a focus of the game.

Sinthetic

Gotta love the swag.

3ZcPRWl.jpg

Single player is still junk. The same grand prix and time trial modes they've been recycling for 20 years. No story mode stuff like Crash Team Racing or Diddy Kong Racing, or even a good/interesting single player mode like Sonic Racing Transformed's main mode or some challenging/compelling Challenges mode to play.

And the Battle Mode is complete shit. Its been going downhill for years, but Nintendo basically said "fuck it, just half-ass some of the tracks we already made into something, I don't know, who gives a fuck breh".

They nailed the core game, its the fastest, prettiest, well-balanced Mario Kart yet. But at the expense of pretty much everything else, there's not even a damn options menu. I can't even see what lap dudes are on while I'm spectating. The "editor" is a kinda crummy 60 second highlight reel thing with canned angles. Halo 3 replay viewer it is not.

This game seems to rely on skill more so than the previous which is great but if your in last it's much more difficult to get to the front of the pack. I'm no noob when it comes to Mario Kart but I've rarely come in 1st now. I guess I never realized how much I relied on the super weapons. Good show Nintendo.

I don't get this. The new RR is easily one of my favourites yet..

It's growing on me and I think I prefer it to the revamped RR64. I like that it seems to place more of an emphasis on your kart control with winding turns and long anti gravity sections which can become bumper car madness instead of just being another boost pad filled spectacle RR.

No section highlights this more than the bit near the end of Piranha Plant Pipeway, in MK7 you could take off soaring over the battlements, here in MK8 if you dare to even tilt the kart slightly you'll probably eat the lower wall and fall into the pit.

Mik2121

Who's JON from Australia? I threw you 3 red shells and flew past you, but apparently that was only on my end because you still ended up being first :(

Griss

Single player is still junk. The same grand prix and time trial modes they've been recycling for 20 years. No story mode stuff like Crash Team Racing or Diddy Kong Racing, or even a good/interesting single player mode like Sonic Racing Transformed's main mode or some challenging/compelling Challenges mode to play.

And the Battle Mode is complete shit. Its been going downhill for years, but Nintendo basically said "fuck it, just half-ass some of the tracks we already made into something, I don't know, who gives a fuck breh".

They nailed the core game, its the fastest, prettiest, well-balanced Mario Kart yet. But at the expense of pretty much everything else, there's not even a damn options menu. I can't even see what lap dudes are on while I'm spectating. The "editor" is a kinda crummy 60 second highlight reel thing with canned angles. Halo 3 replay viewer it is not.

I love MKTV, but this rings true.

Earlier I was Daisy, and I was neck and neck with Peach down the final straight on the retro Mario Circuit. She used a mushroom from behind me and we crossed the line at the exact same time, but it gave me the win.

So I went to the replay, and because of the canned angles it uses, you couldn't see her in my picture at all, and when focused on her the camera was on the other side and you couldn't see me. There was no way of capturing that awesome final duel down the straight at all because of the weird angles, it was bizarre. A really great moment lost.

Zafir

Yeah, I'm rather let down by the single player, considering I'm generally a single player only person. I enjoyed the tracks enough to give multiplayer a go though, and have had quite a bit of fun with it. Still need to try out battle mode.

Baleoce

I love MKTV, but this rings true.

Earlier I was Daisy, and I was neck and neck with Peach down the final straight on the retro Mario Circuit. She used a mushroom from behind me and we crossed the line at the exact same time, but it gave me the win.

So I went to the replay, and because of the canned angles it uses, you couldn't see her in my picture at all, and when focused on her the camera was on the other side and you couldn't see me. There was no way of capturing that awesome final duel down the straight at all because of the weird angles, it was bizarre. A really great moment lost.

Sadly because of this, MKTV (at least from the perspective of uploading it to YouTube) is a gimmick that will be used for hte next month or so and then mostly forgotten about. People on YouTube will watch them for now so they can go "ooh this game is pretty, I might have to get this". But once that stage has subsided they'll have no reason to watch them, as the actual highlights do a poor job of showcasing what's going on in races, or making the viewer feel like they're actually watching a real race. They're not gonna relate to the races that are uploaded. The 60 second limit is ridiculous. It's our bandwidth, and our YouTube account. No reason for it.

Koren

I'll try to join the GAF Tournament...

The game is great, I'm just distracted by the fact you can't keep an item in defense and get a second one, but after reading some posts here, I understand how it can be for the best.

About the spreadsheet, the Nintendo ID is the name you have to use to find someone online, not the name that appear in the game?

Top Bottom