• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Baleoce

Nah, Day 2 is the best time to check popularity, because after a couple of days everyone will be using 'the best' rather than 'their favourite'. If you know what I mean. So I always enjoy seeing who people actually want to be before it settles in to who they think they're supposed to be. MK7 wasn't always a bunch of Metal Marios, you know.

Oh I thought that's what you actually meant.

B00TE

You need to go to time trials and figure your setup out, this may be the first Mario Kart(didnt play mk7)that feels like you can actually lose before you even start the race, based off your setup.

I actually really like my set up, just need to find good lines with it. Lines that I don't always have when in the heat of things. :p

Yeah, really enjoyed the drift challenges and the boss races. Here, I can't even be assed to keep playing Grand Prix.

Its a very good game because the core gameplay loop is so polished and fun, but is still disappointing how bare bones a lot of it still feels. I'm not asking for it to become a MMORPG or some shit, but MK8 just hasn't taken the steps forward I wanted the franchise to go with. Hell, its still behind other entries in the series in some oddball ways, like not saving my customization like MK7 does, I have to select each piece every single time I join a race.

For sure. My biggest gripe is Battle Mode by far. Absolutely inexcusable what they did to it. If they don't release some free DLC arenas I'll........

Do absolutely nothing. Except be pissed! They should do it though.

Baleoce

You need to go to time trials and figure your setup out, this may be the first Mario Kart(didnt play mk7)that feels like you can actually lose before you even start the race, based off your setup.

I've been trying to work DK, but so far nothing, so I'm hoping my further unlocks help.

Yeah it's kind of ridiculous in that regard. You need to find a character / setup that is quick off the block and gets you in front from the start (even though eventually everyone will be doing the same). Then just pray that your first item box isn't a coin. After that it's about not messing up, and getting lucky with what the back markers get for items.

atr0cious

I actually really like my set up, just need to find good lines with it. Lines that I don't always have when in the heat of things. :p
Yup that's the second step, find the right setup then practice with it while surrounded by enemies so you can get used to mentally using your lines despite someone being in them.

Really this is a great game, just sunk an hour into it and really enjoying it. Played one round of Battle Mode though and oh man... What the fuck it is horrid. I've never played a Nintendo game and felt like they pushed it out before it was ready but I cannot think of any other excuse for battle mode maps being so terrible.

Spades

I really don't understand how some people are able to get into the lead from the lights in a full lobby and stay there for the entire race, untroubled. Almost every time, I'm starting second to the same guy and am hit by two shells and everything else before the first corner.

Just don't get it.

mrhej

So I guess Mario Kart TV is working for Nintendo considering I'm seeing a ton of them on youtube when you search for it.

Really this is a great game, just sunk an hour into it and really enjoying it. Played one round of Battle Mode though and oh man... What the fuck it is horrid. I've never played a Nintendo game and felt like they pushed it out before it was ready but I cannot think of any other excuse for battle mode maps being so terrible.

I haven't played a mario kart since 1.

But I remember in the SNES version you specifically had maps designed for battle mode... and all I am seeing in this are the current tracks that you race on also used for battle mode? What?

Dereck

I really don't understand how some people are able to get into the lead from the lights in a full lobby and stay there for the entire race, untroubled. Almost every time, I'm starting second to the same guy and am hit by two shells and everything else before the first corner.

Just don't get it.
- People drift around a corner, and then boost either, over a hill, or the dirt part of the stage. cut curners while boosting = gets you ahead

- Some people take shortcuts, every lap

- Some people are drift masters, so they're always boosting

- Some people know the stage well, so they know how to make the hard turns

- Some people jump boost, every single jump

Combine all of that together, boom, 1st place

- People drift around a corner, and then boost either, over a hill, or the dirt part of the stage. cut curners while boosting = gets you ahead

- Some people take shortcuts, every lap

- Some people are drift masters, so they're always boosting

- Some people know the stage well, so they know how to make the hard turns

- Some people jump boost, every single jump

Combine all of that together, boom, 1st place
It also helps to get a solid boost out of the start (avoiding middle of the pack madness) and using items defensively. If you're in first and you get a banana, hold onto it no matter how many items you want to get.

TMC

I'll be in the next available match for the Race OT. My display name is Frankie(need to change to TMC2k1). Looking forward to this!

Tregard

Soothsayer
Mount Wario is definitely my favourite track thus far, it is brilliant to play on and looks stunning.

I find whenever I get into first I'm desperately trying to get hold of a Super Horn, but all I ever get is coins :(

Finding the turns are a lot more unforgiving when coming from 7, I'm hitting a wall nearly every other turn.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Just don't get it.

I think a lot of it is with the item changes. If 1st place is holding a defense item, 2nd gets put in a risky scenario. Even if you get a red shell, do you hold it to protect yourself or try to work their defense down? You leave yourself wide open everything behind you to not really gain ground on 1st, so everyone kinda fights themselves while the lead grows. The blue shell can still be the equalizer, but it doesn't show up as often and there is a potential defense against it now. That said 3 red shells in 2nd place is fucking ridiculous in this game, there is nothing you can do to prevent a hit even if you have good placement and get lucky with 2 defensive items. And if you have a coin you are super boned.

Top Bottom