• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

ASTROID2

I don't like how this goombas looking at me.
zlCfzR_cAIsuyy-BBT

Really close finish. Somehow I lost.
zlCfzR_bINszKP76ld

Doorman

Some quick thoughts after finally getting to try out some GPs last night.

* I sank a lot of time into Mario Kart Wii, and after initially getting it as a gift and barely touching it, I did eventually play enough of MK7 to at least see all the courses, even though I never played online. Getting into 8 now feels right at home.

* I've started with 50cc cups just to see the sights and familiarize myself a little with the new track layouts. So far, most of my races have largely consisted of me getting into a lead and barely ever seeing anybody else the whole way through. Guess it's time to step up.

* Morton might be my favorite character, which came as a surprise to me. The first time I heard his Fat Albert laugh while boosting around a corner, I was hooked.

* I really like the changes they've made to the item system, how dragging a shell or banana doesn't free up your item slot for something else. When you add that to the inclusion of the Super Horn, I feel like it actually encourages players in the lead to use their items, rather than just sitting on the same banana peel for a lap and a half in case they need the defense. Having that horn is huge in case of a blue shell.

* I like the new Rainbow Road well enough, but it also feels kind of unspectacular by Rainbow Road standards. I guess part of it is that when every level already has crazy dips, jumps, and anti-gravity splits, throwing them into RR lessens their impact. It also seems a bit unusual that it's largely just a standard track, no big shifts in location, no track hazards. I guess it works for a good competitive race though.

I'll finally hop online and get my ass kicked against GAF a little later today, looking forward to it!

pulga

Banned
I´ll add you when I get connected again, I decided to take a litlle break, this game is like crack!

If your are playing right now, go ahead and add me: CRAZY_SPIRIT.

Is the FootyGAF spreadsheet in the community OT?

Added! Yeah I'll quote you in the thread and post the link!

Really sad they've changed Battlemode - was a local 4 player favourite of mine. Such a shame. I'd be happy to pay for a proper version, it's the most obvious WTF Nintendo moment in an otherwise pretty solid game.

Graphics are great, shame about the aliasing. The 59fps / dupe frame isn't as glaring as it was in the webms, not so noticeable when playing. As usual, Nintendo games have a wonderful solidity to the graphics. Very nice and smooth :)

Was Rainbow Road always this wide? I recall the N64 version being trickier.

scitek

You can tell the 1 fps drop every 64 frames but can't tell if it is 720 or 1080p?

Do you know what a fluid 60fps looks like? I don't see how the two are related at all. I said later on it looked like 720p to me, but I could have sworn it was expected to be 1080p as Nintendo had released 1080p screens and such for it, but maybe that's Smash Bros.

robot

There's no way to display the map in he center of the screen in 4 player mode? Would've been helpful, especially w battle.

scitek

I suppose I should be happy Club Nintendo's getting hammered since it means this game's selling pretty well? I wonder how many used copies of the game there will be in the shops in the coming weeks.

Mine01

Guys do you unlock charracters after betting a cup you alredy bet?. And also, only unlock while getting gold right?.

Anyway. im in love with shy guy and lemmy but i really like bowser stats on that ladybug car.

MicH

The 150CC Grand Prix are driving be crazy. Especially Star and Special cup, but Banana cup is my least favorite. I hate all the tracks and Donut Plains make ne rage :(

Top Bottom