• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

braves01

Banned
It's the nature of 150cc races and aggressive drivers. Random online public games I've found it a lot easier than in the GAF races, lol.

I think it is easier to stay in 1st though. Falling off the track is way less of penalty than before, the air horn can stop blue shells, etc. In MK Wii all it took was one lightning bolt while you were in mid air to totally screw you.
---
Does this have a team race mode? I'd love to see some great videos of people boosting off each other and so on. The best tracks so far imo are the ones where anti grav boosting is major element, like the new Mario Circuit for example.

RiggyRob

Just played through 3 GPs and a few rounds of Balloon Battle with my girlfriend and already I can tell this is a GOTY contender. Funnily enough, she didn't like the arenas for Balloon Battles in previous games and prefers the full courses that are in now.

We only played 50cc and 100cc races, is there a trick to getting 3 stars in the cups? Only seemed to get 1 so far.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think it is easier to stay in 1st though. Falling off the track is way less of penalty than before, the air horn can stop blue shells, etc. In MK Wii all it took was one lightning bolt while you were in mid air to totally screw you.

This is true - if 2nd and 3rd are busy with each other and 1st place races clean, they can pull away easily. If the front 4 are all really good though the guy up front still needs to play close to perfect.

Does this have a team race mode? I'd love to see some great videos of people boosting off each other and so on. The best tracks so far imo are the ones where anti grav boosting is major element, like the new Mario Circuit for example.

I saw a team race option in VS play, so I think you can setup online like that.

Raw64life

My only complaint in single player besides the obvious luck > skill moments in Grand Prix is that I wish I could make the gamepad screen a rear view mirror.

Also, there were a couple of times where I had a banana/green shell and my hand, I press the button as a red shell is about to hit me, the banana/shell does not deploy, I get hit, and without me pressing anything after I get hit, the banana/shell deploys afterwards. Quite annoying.

Just cleared 50cc and 100cc all gold 3 stars. About to start 150cc and I'm sure there's plenty of frustration in my future. Maybe I'll finally give the online a go first, although I'm sure I'll suck at it. What happens when you 3 star everything?

lt519

Ok 1 hour tournament starts at 8 and runs til 9.

Code see below for new one

If you are going to play try and make it the full hour, I'd rather people not come in play two races and then leave. So first in 12 in get dibs.

Spades

It fucks me off how the game frequently gives you speed mushrooms when you're dead last online by a considerable margin, whilst the guys in midfield are enjoying their red shells, stars and 8s.

Unless you get through the first few corners without getting hit, you've got a very slim chance of winning - that's not what MP Mario Kart should be like IMO.

Top Bottom