• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

My poor old room just couldn't gain any Gaf traction, from the humble beginnings of two to a short lived peak of six players, it just ain't the same.

botty

Banned
I'm actually bad at deciding what combination to use, so I mostly just use standard. Is there a combination that's seen as the best one?

I hear Sport Bike + Slick Wheels is a very fast combination.

does this thing really rubberband?

I have been stuck in last place online many times and it just gives me mushrooms nothing strong to get back in the race

lol

In 150cc + Mirror Mode there are usually two-three AI characters that will rubber band into the top 4 positions.

Albo

omg who got crushed by that note at the end

Crushed three times in a row as I could barely accelerate forwards with wario fat arse to get out of that note's way, all while I was in a comfortable first piece lead. Couldn't believe it.

daydream

Banned
Since Greg was talking about getting a coin in 8th place a few pages back, here are the two extremes I've kept track of so far.

2nd place - 8 item (Papercuts posted about this, I think)
9th place - Coin item (happened to me once)

Let me know if you can top that. The item distribution is completely skewed, in any case.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Since Greg was talking about getting a coin in 8th place a few pages back, here are the two extremes I've kept track of so far.

Let me know if you can top that. The item distribution is completely skewed, in any case.

Yup, I've gotten the Crazy 8 twice now in second. Also got a green shell in 12th on the last lap before.

Nope. Did you get first place in every race of the cup?

uhhhh i don't remember. but lets say i got 1st, 3rd, 1st, 2nd or something.... wouldn't it at least give me 1 star? all the stars are blank

About to go pick this up. Is it fully playable without the touchscreen?

yep. i'm playing with the pro controller only. the only thing you miss out on is posting to miiverse and using the stamps to do so

I think I'm over these kinds of games. Would have loved it if I was a kid but I find the game dull to play now. Played for half hour with my SO and was bored pretty quick, Cheap rubber band AI requires 50% skill and 50% luck. You don't really get rewarded for playing well. Constantly getting hit losing all your lead. I don't find that fun at all.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous and art design is some of the best but man Nintendo get way too much credit these days. Just like Skyward Sword It isn't THAT good.

BowieZ

Banned

Does anyone else like this set up? I find it actually a bit more random and fun, it keeps you on your toes, and getting coins a lot makes you need to practice all sorts of driving skills even more than before.

Obviously a few races here and there will be disappointingly unbalanced with a miles-ahead first place or an unrecoverable crash, but ultimately I think this will separate the men from the boys as it were.

Top Bottom