• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

jmizzal

Looks like Nintendo is expanding WiiU TV advertising with Mario Kart 8, just saw an ad for it during the NBA playoff game.

Bout time this is like my first time seeing a 1st party game during sports I watch, its alway Xbox or PS games. Good Job Nintendo let the people know about WiiU

Whenever I go to the Wii U Shop to redeem the free game, it's still processing the choices as a purchase when I click on them. I got the bundle so they say it's already registered so I can just download a free game after linking my Club Nintendo account to it. Is it supposed to say "free" or "redeem" on the shop or do I just do a purchase? HALP :(

Woffls

Okay I'm doing rather badly now and it's 2am so I'm off to sleep. It's been a fun evening, and I didn't expect to even take this game online, so thanks.

I use buggy + slick wheels. kinda easy to control, and a decent speed, but very light.

Yeah I use the Mach 8 and Circuit Special with slick and it seems easier than using the Sports Bike and slick wheels. Bikes in general are harder to use it seems.

All of a sudden I heard a vroooooom while in 1st place, I thought to myself.. "I must of blown them away by now". I turn around and a Yoshi is staring right at me!

how do you get stars on the course cups? i've gotten first place on all of them but it shows no stars for any. is there something special you have to do?

I think it has to do with how many points you get . If you get first every race you get 3 stars I'm not sure about one and two though but I've also got a couple cups that don't have any stars.

daydream

Banned
Does anyone else like this set up? I find it actually a bit more random and fun, it keeps you on your toes, and getting coins a lot makes you need to practice all sorts of driving skills even more than before.

Obviously a few races here and there will be disappointingly unbalanced with a miles-ahead first place or an unrecoverable crash, but ultimately I think this will separate the men from the boys as it were.

There's certainly a case to be made for it, and I don't want to sound all the way negative about it. At the same, imagine being way behind and only getting a mushroom or a coin or a green shell, after getting hit by all sorts of crazy items which led to your bad situation to begin with. It does seem a bit absurd. I'm not saying it should follow a strict formula, though, and it's clearly a fine line to tread.

Azure J

I hear Sport Bike + Slick Wheels is a very fast combination.

Honestly, I tend to stick with this combo, switching between Slick Wheels and Slim Wheels depending on a whim. Rosalina takes huge advantage of this, especially if you're like me and love to prioritize coins and spin boosting.

Still need to find something abusable for Toad though. Maybe he'll be my dedicated kart character.

Damn I got to 4th place in a race online, waiting for the others to finish, I got disconnected by an error, came back and found out I lost 9 points because of this...not fair at all :(

Honestly, I tend to stick with this combo, switching between Slick Wheels and Slim Wheels depending on a whim. Rosalina takes huge advantage of this, especially if you're like me and love to prioritize coins and spin boosting.

Still need to find something abusable for Toad though. Maybe he'll be my dedicated kart character.

How do you deal with drifting and traction? I tried the slick wheels and sports bike and did okay but man it was tough.

oatmeal

Banned
Frantic mode with 4 game cups is way better than the current GAF tourney set up.

I find the Frantic mode to be more balanced oddly enough.

btkadams

guys, i suck at this game. do you guys use the brakes at all, or do you just let go of the gas? or do you do neither? i find sometimes i'm headed straight for a wall and there's nothing i can do to turn out of it. even attempting to drift won't turn me enough in time.

orioto

Good Art™
Hm so first experience with the he game (and the WiiU!).

Some disappointment regarding the off tv play here.
To begin with, i played a moment (maybe 2 hours) on my tv, and it looked wowing, sharp (curiously) and so colorful. It's impressive to look at really.

Then i tried on the gamepad. It immediately felt weird. Not only the whashed out compressed feed makes the game unimpressive, but .. i'm pretty certain it's not 60 fps.. Or something makes it look less fluid i don't know why. Even the control feeling seemed different..

Also i'm pretty surprised there is no way to see the map of the track with the positions, when playing on a single screen.. It's like they didn't optimized the game AT ALL for the off tv play ?

Top Bottom