• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

I have no idea when I moved into first in RR but hey, I'm not going to complain, that was like some F-Zero "you got boost power" shit right there.

lt519

guys, i suck at this game. do you guys use the brakes at all, or do you just let go of the gas? or do you do neither? i find sometimes i'm headed straight for a wall and there's nothing i can do to turn out of it. even attempting to drift won't turn me enough in time.

Drifting is a essential. S turns basically require it in special cup races at 150cc

J@hranimo

Banned
Every 4 games you get moved rooms, but we keep ending up with races of 2 or races of 10, and the points scale so is bad to be in a small room

Oooooooh alright. I didn't even know that was an option o_O. I gotta get more acquainted with the tournaments in this game.

guys, i suck at this game. do you guys use the brakes at all, or do you just let go of the gas? or do you do neither? i find sometimes i'm headed straight for a wall and there's nothing i can do to turn out of it. even attempting to drift won't turn me enough in time.

I am still not very good but I use smaller characters with the initially unlocked rounder buggy with the tiny wheels, with d-pad on gamepad & it feels just like the ds version of mario kart (which I adore) just perhaps slightly less snakey for the better, still great drifting!

btw never brake,unless major emergency!

My success rate increased 100% when I switched to heavyweight.

Dont worry about acceleration in MK8. attack items have been severely nerfed (you cant hold 3 red shells + even another attack item, blueshell/lightning average less than once per race), million of map boosts, bumping gives acceleration, mushrooms and stars are everywhere, coin boosts, etc. The only place acceleration matters is that opening item fight where you pray you get a shell/banana to protect yourself from the inevitable attacks cuz your top speed is so good and you just pulled ahead of everybody, you sexy gamer you.

Shuffle Hour tournament results:

zlCfzR_lR1cuuES1Dg

RaidenZR

This has probably been asked in this thread already, and I did a few searches but couldn't turn up any relevant posts but...

What does it do when you "star" a particular course with the "-" button when you've finished a race course? It lets you do it 1/6 times?

lt519

GAF shuffle hour has ended and these were the standings:

JP
Steve
Santos (tied)
Rarbusto
Stride
Blindsword
Jaded alyx
Roodster
Rafa
Will
Thisisalan
Willito
Djizana
AJ
Jcrcrasyz
Strk
Rendog12
Steven
Berna
Chuck

So what'd you all think for next time? No shuffle? Longer?

This has probably been asked in this thread already, and I did a few searches but couldn't turn up any relevant posts but...

What does it do when you can "Star" a particular course with the "-" button when you've finished a race course? It lets you do it 1/6 times?

Saves the film as a favorite

kamakazi5

I played for about eight hours before I got my first Bullet Bill. Then I got two of them in a row.

I might be missing it, but I feel like no one is talking about Twisted Mansion.

Seriously, I love that stage. I'm always shocked when it isn't unanimously chosen. The music alone makes it worth playing.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
What's with the item warning indicators being so messed up? I keep getting star warnings when nobody with a star is near me, but it fails to catch the red shell I can see 5 feet away.

Well I think I would have been OK is Prinny got anything other than a piranha plant in 3rd place :l

Also that's twice now for Music Park while picking random :(

RoySFNR

Try starting your drift earlier and adjust it accordingly to tightly wrap around the corner. Most of the time, you want to start the drift while the road is still straight so you pass the whole turn sideways. Basically, Mario Kart doesn't involve braking. Letting go of the gas can be useful if the alternative is driving into a wall or off the stage but it's not something you should do if you get your angles right.

Finally got a boomerang for the first time today, really like it as an item, finished all off 100cc with 3 stars still really easy. This game doesn't have mirror mode correct so once I finished 150cc 3 stars I'll be jumping into online play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
GGs everyone!

My success rate increased 100% when I switched to heavyweight.

Dont worry about acceleration in MK8. attack items have been severely nerfed (you cant hold 3 red shells + even another attack item, blueshell/lightning average less than once per race), million of map boosts, bumping gives acceleration, mushrooms and stars are everywhere, coin boosts, etc. The only place acceleration matters is that opening item fight where you pray you get a shell/banana to protect yourself from the inevitable attacks cuz your top speed is so good and you just pulled ahead of everybody, you sexy gamer you.

Plus they changed it so the blue shell doesn't make your items fall out of you, so if you see one coming and have a mushroom you can practically shrug that shit off.

It can still kinda suck having low acc if you drift and slightly go off the track as it slows you way the fuck down, but mushrooms popping out like candy negate a lot of this stuff.

lt519

Ok time for a break but the GAF anti-shuffle hour will start at 10pm est

8575-6601-3841

Jump in whenever, it'll restart everyone right at 10

Meier

Fucking hell. My Wiimote had a battery leak apparently. Cheap ass ikea. Anyone know if I'm screwed or have you been able to clean it out and reuse it? It's a limited edition Zelda one so I'm particularly disappointed.

trixx

Something about the item balance makes it very diffiicult to catch up to first/second place after the second lap or so. In the sense that they gain such a huge lead that even if blue shell/lightning bolt hits they will still likely be in top 2.

This is the item balance most were likely looking for but it makes things a bit strange. I find myself fighting anywhere between 4-10th if i am not in top 2 after first lap because we are so lumped up together, it's as if that's where all the mayhem is occuring. Also they are the least likely to lose coins

Green shells are the devil

Xamdou

So how do I unlock all the chars and upgrades? What is the meaning behind getting 1, 2 or 3 stars? I am doing 100cc right now.

Top Bottom