• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

panzone

I have added my NNID on the spreadsheet. And there is a way to remove my favorites on MKTV ?

And is it only my impression or the CPU is more smart and aggressive ?

Koren

Who's Koren in the game? Anyway hitting people when running by them just because. I wasn't even in your way and you just drove by and hit me out of the tracks into the dirt 3 times.
I don't remember actually trying to hit anyone (except sometimes in antigrav mode for the boost, but I guess this would be fair? I thought the game was designed this way...) I'm rusty, and I have indeed hit a couple of karts, especially when there's many karts around (besides, I can't play with the stick on the Upad, and the D-pad feels strange... I have to try a different control scheme).

If I hit you three times, I'd like to really apologize for this. Trust me, it wasn't my intent (even if I know it could seem difficult to believe in this case). I hope we'll be able to play again together so I can prove you I don't have any intent of ramming anyone just for the sake of it.

Mik2121

I don't remember actually trying to hit anyone (except sometimes in antigrav mode for the boost, but I guess this would be fair? I thought the game was designed this way...) I'm rusty, and I have indeed hit a couple of karts, especially when there's many karts around (besides, I can't play with the stick on the Upad, and the D-pad feels strange... I have to try a different control scheme).

If I hit you three times, I'd like to really apologize for this. Trust me, it wasn't my intent (even if I know it could seem difficult to believe in this case). I hope we'll be able to play again together so I can prove you I don't have any intent of ramming anyone just for the sake of it.
Don't worry. It was just that one race. We played together for about 15 races and you only hit me a lot on that one and I posted right after it. Sorry for posting like that! And yeah, we will definitely be seeing each other in the game a lot I guess :p

Mik2121

Why are we apologising for ramming now? Ram those fuckers off the road, I say!

It's just not cool when you are ramming someone that's just been hit by other stuff and you put him right out of the track without him being able to do anything, and when he's in a place that's not even the main path :( (I assume he slipped like me or something). That's the only one I remember, anyway.. :p

Ramming when next to someone trying to get some items or near the goal or anything like that, sure. But when you have to go out of your way it's kind of crappy :( I know he didn't do it in purpose, but it was annoying lol

Edit: Being a shyguy, getting rammed is terrible. Hell, I even get my ass kicked when I'm the one ramming someone accidentally!

Comandr

Has it been discussed yet why this RACING game features no LAP TIMES at all?

Every previous iteration had lap times. What the hell gives? When it's neck and neck I want to know how close it was.

Mmm. Well you came in first and then that guy came in second.

BY HOW MUCH, IWATA! Tell me! I must know!

Am away for work for a week(!)

Going to miss this game. Had it since Weds and 3-starred 150cc after about 11 hours and had so much fun doing so.

Can't wait to get back to it, mirror mode and online GAF races.

Omzz

in one race i had the horn in first place. a blue shell is on its way. i kept saying to myself "yes...come closer. revenge for all those times you fucked me up" as it's about to land and less than a second away from pressing the item button, a fierce lightning strikes and then proceeded to get fucked again by the blue shell

i still have not gotten my revenge yet

akaoni

Banned
Spent the best part of the morning beating all the time trials and placing first in GP's to unlock the gold parts. I was under the impression you needed to 3 star every GP until I did them all that way and it said you only need to place 1st after I was done... My thumb has 2 blister~ spots on it from using the Wii U gamepad and holding 'A' so much, might need to look into an alternative.

Every previous iteration had lap times. What the hell gives? When it's neck and neck I want to know how close it was.

You know I'd like it too, but honestly the times themselves are irrelevant because of the insane amount of variables every race.

But you're right, the very least they could do is show how far behind everyone was to first at the end, I've won races in what I was sure was mere milliseconds.

Robin64

All's fair in Mario Kart. When you want to beat as many people as possible, ramming one player off the road is a perfectly valid tactic, especially in a world where weight and off-road are stats. You in your kart are just one more weapon with which to decimate everyone else on the track. No prisoners. No sympathy.

Koren

Why are we apologising for ramming now? Ram those fuckers off the road, I say!
I'd say there is pointless ramming and "competitive" ramming. I may do it when I know well the opponent, or when struggling for the first places, but I won't get out of my trajectory just for hitting an opponent without any reason. Especially several times in a race.

I don't mind being rammed (I often avoid the lightests driver for this reason, though), but I understand it can bother some players being rammed constantly so I don't play this way.

That's the reason I was really feeling bad for this... I'm relieved to see it not going any further.

Sendou

Ramming equals pro tactics in Mario Kart. I refuse to miss a chance to knock an opponent off the road no matter what the place in the race.

If we're screwing each other over in every way possible, I don't see how ramming is suddenly crossing the line. If you pick a light character, you face the consequences.

On light characters, I think they're a bit too weak right now. Apart from the weight issue they have the lowest top speed, and acceleration isn't that important in a game in which you never brake. I wonder if Nintendo will release a balance patch which buffs light characters and nerfs heavy characters, I highly doubt it.

kinggroin

Banned
Don't worry. It was just that one race. We played together for about 15 races and you only hit me a lot on that one and I posted right after it. Sorry for posting like that! And yeah, we will definitely be seeing each other in the game a lot I guess :p

I hope we eventually meet up in a GAF tourney. I'd do nothing BUT smash my Kart into yours, just for making Koren think he was doing something wrong.

There's a very real reason weight is a stat on characters and using it to muscle through races is a completely legitimate practice.

If you can't handle that, maybe play something else.

Koren

It's just not cool when you are ramming someone that's just been hit by other stuff and you put him right out of the track without him being able to do anything, and when he's in a place that's not even the main path :( (I assume he slipped like me or something).
Definitely... I've been off-road (or at least off the normal trajectory) many times this morning, trying to adjust to a slippery kart and new drifting mechanics. Especially when chasing coins, and the fact that I don't know the tracks doesn't help.

I feel like top speed is an important statistic in this one (?) but the fast karts have an awful handling/grip.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Never played the games besides the original, but do each character behave differently? Or are they all the same?
Differently. And it's actually pretty annoying that you can't press (+) to see their base stats in the character selection screen.

kizmah

eZLXeXe.jpg

QyiFmNf.jpg

s4K2GK4.jpg

Mr. Sam

All's fair in Mario Kart. When you want to beat as many people as possible, ramming one player off the road is a perfectly valid tactic, especially in a world where weight and off-road are stats. You in your kart are just one more weapon with which to decimate everyone else on the track. No prisoners. No sympathy.

You're-- you're a monster.

Strider

This is bugging me too. At the end of each race I watch the menus for the times out of habit :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Very early impression:

+ Brilliant core racing design.
+ Seems very balanced.
+ Online is dope.
+ Slick graphics.

- Though it doesnt break the game, I absolutely notice the frame judder in single player.
- Barebones single player, modes, and general options/features is very disappointing and makes the game feel rushed.

Excellent game systems, excellent tracks, weak package in terms of solo features and content. Series is almost exclusively reliant on multiplayer now, which isn't terrible, but I'd love to see more modes and options.t

Porcile

The item distribution in this game is completely fucked. I just went an entire GP without receiving a single Red Shell at any point the entire time.

Vylash

Man I thought you guys were bullshitting about those green shells, but man, the struggle is real.

Also my NNID is Vyash if anyone wants to add me

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Very early impression:

+ Brilliant core racing design.
+ Seems very balanced.
+ Online is dope.
+ Slick graphics.

- Though it doesnt break the game, I absolutely notice the frame judder in single player.
- Barebones single player, modes, and general options/features is very disappointing and makes the game feel rushed.

Excellent game systems, excellent tracks, weak package in terms of solo features and content. Series is almost exclusively reliant on multiplayer now, which isn't terrible, but I'd love to see more modes and options.t

TBF not much is new under the sun. I never really considered Mario Kart as a single player racing games since it's something that's never really engaged me.

It's certainly something could and should improve on eventually, but what they did to battle mode would likely be my biggest potential issue with the game.

akaoni

Banned
This might've been posted already but someone made a stat calculator so you can workout the vehicle/parts you might test out easily;

" http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/5196/mk8stats.html

All of the stats were taken from the mario kart wiki (Gold Glider is tentatively inferred to be +0 across all stats.) The names are the same as the MKWiki too... I remember in Mario Kart 7 there were some major regional differences in the names, so if they aren't accurate, and I can get a list of the names in other languages, I'd be willing to add an option to switch regions.

Characters that fit in the listed weight classes can be found here: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Driver_base_stats "

tDxvHkw.png

Via http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/700050-mario-kart-8/69342478

Mr. Sam

TBF not much is new under the sun. I never really considered Mario Kart as a single player racing games since it's something that's never really engaged me.

It's certainly something could and should improve on eventually, but what they did to battle mode would likely be my biggest potential issue with the game.

I feel like implementing something like Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed's World Tour mode could be hugely beneficial.

Top Bottom