• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

I went into this game knowing almost no details, and I gotta say I was a bit disappointed when I saw how limited the single player was. The MP totally makes up for it, but it's still a missed opportunity.

blueshelledqtspo.gif

:-/

Awesome gif.

MicH

The item distribution in this game is completely fucked. I just went an entire GP without receiving a single Red Shell at any point the entire time.
I agree. Having spent a lot of time in last place I rarely get anything other than mushrooms. I've gotten the lightning bolt ONCE

I would be nice to have more multiplayer options, like a proper tournament mode. Not just the strange room system that is in place now.

Mr. Sam

I went into this game knowing almost no details, and I gotta say I was a bit disappointed when I saw how limited the single player was. The MP totally makes up for it, but it's still a missed opportunity.

Is it really that different to any other Mario Kart in this regard? Unless people were sinking hours into Battle Mode.

WillyFive

TBF not much is new under the sun. I never really considered Mario Kart as a single player racing games since it's something that's never really engaged me.

It's certainly something could and should improve on eventually, but what they did to battle mode would likely be my biggest potential issue with the game.

When games like Sonic Transformed have amazing single layer modes, it's hard to ignore how barebones the last few Mario Kart games have been.

akaoni

Banned
I have to say Donut Plains and Dolphin Shoal are the hardest tracks in GP because of the AI being ridiculous on them. In Dolphin Shoal on 2 occasions I had the AI pushing a pace faster than time trial for the first lap, I think it might be random depending on who the GP nemesis is, heavy characters being worse though I can't say for sure. If it happens to you, you will notice I promise.

Is it really that different to any other Mario Kart in this regard? Unless people were sinking hours into Battle Mode.

It's not, but that doesn't mean they should just leave it that way. They improved the MP, why not SP as well? They have good reason not to care, but it's still disappointing. Also I never gave a shit about battle mode except for the bob-omb battle in Double Dash.

MicH

I have to say Donut Plains and Dolphin Shoal are the hardest tracks in GP because of the AI being ridiculous on them. In Dolphin Shoal on 2 occasions I had the AI pushing a pace faster than time trial for the first lap, I think it might be random depending on who the GP nemesis is, heavy characters being worse though I can't say for sure. If it happens to you, you will notice I promise.
YES YES YES

I hate those two tracks in 150CC

udivision

I wouldn't even know this OST was good if it wasn't for YouTube. Is this the first modern Mario kart (double dash and beyond) without a volume option? There's no option menu period. How can the presentation values be so high, but reminders that the game was rushed ( battle mode, roster, features) still show through. Loving it so far, will be a bit before I do some online play.

So that leaked guide on MKWF that Roo posted about got most things right so what's this new shortcut on the 3rd lap of Grumble Volcano?

Blueblur1

Haha, but overall I found 150cc a bit easier than in previous games and much less random. The AI is actually pretty good (as in well done, not as in racing competently). I'm just glad you don't need to meet some intransparent criteria for three stars anymore, 60 points and you're done.

Its that easy? Good to know. in MK7 it was a fucking hassle. >:-(

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The item distribution in this game is completely fucked. I just went an entire GP without receiving a single Red Shell at any point the entire time.

I've done all the tourneys on 150cc, played about 50 races online

and never had a bullet bill, nor even seen a gold mushroom (but my house mate tells me theyre in the game)

This was me. I mean, I love MK8 so far, and I knew going in that the Battle Mode is terrible, but in the end I think this won't end up being my favorite MK ever just because of the lack of Battle Mode options/proper stages.

Oh damn I want to play some online matches really hard but I can't get a proper connection with my wi-fi. I keep getting disconnections every time I want to join (I've been experiencing this for the last 2/3 weeks. It worked fine the weeks before). Anyway, ordered the lan adapter yesterday...I hope I can do my first online races on tuesday.

This also happened when I wanted to download NSMBU with the promotion code. I hope I can still download the game...

Who's Koren in the game? Anyway hitting people when running by them just because. I wasn't even in your way and you just drove by and hit me out of the tracks into the dirt 3 times.
That shit isn't cool, and it's even worse when in the end you reach the goal almost last, so you were just messing with people without actually getting higher ranks.

WELCOME TO MARIO KART

I just think its pretty weak that the premier kart racing franchise is still so behind the times in options/features/single player modes. Are they gonna keep reheating and shipping out the same barebones Grand Prix/Time Trials modes forever? And did they have to take a shit on Battle Mode as well?

Omnicent

A highlight reel, which includes the following NeoGAF opponents:

212Banks as Daisy
VonGrecklr as Metal mario
Contralto as Rosalina
mike rose as Rose Gold Peach
M. as Luigi
botsamuel as Bowser
Tom Tom as Mario
tmdorsey as Shyguy

Thanks for the matches, you guys. You are really pushing how well I can do in an online match.

Man you guys are rough (this is Mike). Riding along then wham-bam thank you man with all the shells.
I thought only the FGC caould make me salty like this, but I was wrong.... DEAD wrong.

So I am in the GAF lobby and it says "Eaitinng for everyone to suggest a course" with just my Mii standing there. Am I doing something wrong?

Never mind, I was in Battle on accident, not the Race room.

zroid

Banned
I just think its pretty weak that the premier kart racing franchise is still so behind the times in options/features/single player modes. Are they gonna keep reheating and shipping out the same barebones Grand Prix/Time Trials modes forever? And did they have to take a shit on Battle Mode as well?

they had the right idea with MKDS, those single player challenges were really fun

idk, man

Mik2121

I hope we eventually meet up in a GAF tourney. I'd do nothing BUT smash my Kart into yours, just for making Koren think he was doing something wrong.

There's a very real reason weight is a stat on characters and using it to muscle through races is a completely legitimate practice.

If you can't handle that, maybe play something else.

The hell?...

WELCOME TO MARIO KART
I know, right? Jeez, what's all the fuss now. It was a special situation and it was kinda annoying, plus I posted that right after the race when I was kinda raging to myself.
No need to be a jerk, man :(

Delt31

can someone confirm if there is a ranking system or some incentive to play MP online besides betting other humans? What are the numbers next to my name.

Robin64

can someone confirm if there is a ranking system or some incentive to play MP online besides betting other humans? What are the numbers next to my name.

You get "VR", but it goes up more than it goes down. I imagine hitting a threshold unlocks a vehicle part, like how it did in Mario Kart 7.

Exile20

So I am having some issues.

I am getting the communication error issue as everyone else but I am also getting:

1. Music stopping and restarting, sound effects still work
  2. Lakuti just bouncing up and down before a race, not counting down for a few seconds
  3. strange long white/black screens between menus
  4. on the customization menu, parts not changing for the portrait.
  5. just long pauses like it is stuck but then scontinues.
  6. wii u freezing(havent happened since launch)

Kinsei

Banned
That shortcut just before the finish line in Cloudtop Cruise is SOOO good if you pull it off.

Going over the leaves? Yeah that is great. The shortcut at the end of Thwomp Ruins, and the one in the gliding section Bone Dry Dunes are also feel great when you pull them off.

WillyFive

So I am having some issues.

I am getting the communication error issue as everyone else but I am also getting:

1. Music stopping and restarting, sound effects still work
  2. Lakuti just bouncing up and down before a race, not counting down for a few seconds
  3. strange long white/black screens between menus
  4. on the customization menu, parts not changing for the portrait.
  5. just long pauses like it is stuck but then scontinues.
  6. wii u freezing(havent happened since launch)

Sounds like it's having a hard time gathering data from the disk. Is the disk clean? Scratched? Maybe your Wii U drive is slowing down?

pupcoffee

There's a number next to your name. Everyone starts at 1000. You do well, it goes up. You do bad, it goes down. The better/worse, the more extreme the addition/subtraction.

If you enter a tournament (user made server) you start with 0 and can raise it as far as you can.

Mr. Sam

Just had an online race in which the racing order for most of the race was four Japanese, then four Britons (myself at the front, naturally), then four Canadians. Come on, Canada, are you even trying? And as for you, Japan - why do you all play Rosalina?

Exile20

That's perplexing. Maybe try uninstalling and re-downloading? How full is the flash memory?

I have to check, if i delete the game would it delete my saves?

I have 8 gigs left. I did disconnect my external so the game can be installed on the flash drive tho and didnt reconnect it but I doubt that is the reason. I will delete it and reinstall it now.

Top Bottom