• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Okay I had another 4-player local-multiplayer session with friends last night and we are all pretty gaming skilled but one of my friends... he is something else, it's like he can control luck and game physics at will, we saw this time and time again in many games ever since we know him... So when he drove with Daisy yesterday something happened... it's fair game to swap lanes on Rainbow Road but the way he did it while driving it the very first time completely by accident with the star is something else. He said nothing of this was planned and it just happened. My friend who was playing Larry literally screamed: "WTF Daisy you were miles behind me where did you came from above... HOW?!" And we all laughed ourselves into oblivion :p

http://a.pomf.se/pcvkqd.webm

Repost from last page since I was the final post :(

FatCat

Just added my username on the gaf list, add me!

Game is super fun, 150CC is hard compared to other games to 3star. Will last me for a while :)

TGMIII

I just think its pretty weak that the premier kart racing franchise is still so behind the times in options/features/single player modes. Are they gonna keep reheating and shipping out the same barebones Grand Prix/Time Trials modes forever? And did they have to take a shit on Battle Mode as well?

I'm completely with you on the content. I don't see any reason why there couldn't be something similar to what they had on MKDS with the challenges or something along the lines of the career mode from SART. I feel like the content is majorly lacking in MK8 and wouldn't be surprised if I end up spending less time on the game overall than I got out of the single player modes from SART.

Compared to Wii and even 7, I really couldn't make most of these tight turns like in Donut Plains 3 and Bowser's Castle until I switched to a lightweight and used a bike like The Duke. I'll need to test a heavy character and a inside drift bike but heavies aren't really working for me in this game. B Dasher and Mushroom wheels in 7 were a great mix of speed and drifting.

I'm having issues when trying to get into the GAF group. It never shows me the finding players loading screen and just throws me into a lobby by myself. Tried this several times with the same results.

Joining the tournement for the first time. I'm Essi btw if you see me online and I'm playing with my 4 year old son (who always gets last but he loves it so much^^). XD

Hasney

Who's Koren in the game? Anyway hitting people when running by them just because. I wasn't even in your way and you just drove by and hit me out of the tracks into the dirt 3 times.
That shit isn't cool, and it's even worse when in the end you reach the goal almost last, so you were just messing with people without actually getting higher ranks.

Maybe time trial is more your speed, friend.

Hasney

That was the best. Went from second to last to 3rd again, but even thought I got hit whith a bajillion weapons, it was just fun.

Oh my god... that last race... I don't think I've ever been hit with more items in a single race... awful. I'll make my comeback GAF don't worry

Mik2121

Maybe time trial is more your speed, friend.

How long are these comments going to last...?
I've been playing online for the whole weekend and I'm cool with being thrown tons of items at. The stuff I'm talking about was something different, and even then I posted it right after the race.
I said sorry to the guy I talked to, as well. Can you guys forgive me now? :(

corn_fest

People are seriously acting like ramming people is a dirty tactic in Mario Kart? :lol
That's like, half the point of the different weight classes.

spookyfish

LOL. It's Mario Kart all right. Cruisin along for most of the race (online) in 4th or 3rd; finish 6th or 7th.

I suck at this worse than fighting games.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
that end credit music...what the..
a75D8zz_460sa.gif

jts

...hate me...
that end credit music...what the..
tie_zpsd88bf914.gif~original
Photobucket'd. edit-not anymore

Anyway, I'm disappointed about the end credit video being so damn hell compressed. A bit of a pet peeve, but they have so much room available on a Wii U disc. Probably wanted to optimize the download size :(

masud

Banned
I highly disagree about the single player stuff. I honestly don't think you need more than the grand prix and the time trials. More content in kart games usually boils down too extra menus between races and shitty non racing mini games. I just wanna race. The most important thing when it comes to content is the number of tracks imo and this games got plenty.

It's a shame about the battle mode though. I hope there's some dlc.

BowieZ

Banned
Some good races, there, Farscape!!

Think I beat you in most of them though :p

Love the head to head ranking and the fact you can match up against recent competitors ("rivals")!

Exile20

That's perplexing. Maybe try uninstalling and re-downloading? How full is the flash memory?

So i went to delete MK and the wii u told me it cant and I should have turned off the console before disconnecting the external so I put it back it and decided to try mk again and low and behold it works normal now. None of the issues as before.

Maybe the wii u was doing checks in the back ground and stalling out MK. I even came second in the gaf lobby for the first time ever, I even think it is running at a better fps.

leng jai

I'm probably in the minority here but I wish Nintendo would do something more interesting and elaborate with the sound design here. All Mario games basically sound the same - music dominant with the same old recycled (albeit iconic) sound effects. It by no means sounds bad but it would be nice to some creativity here.

Had a a blast playing this all weekend. Back in the day I used to boot up my beloved Double Dash on the Gamecube and regularly come 1st in every single race of the 16 track special cup, 150cc. So I thought it would be easy to 3 star the Mushroom Cup.

After like 15 tries, I just couldn't do it. I'd come 1st in Mario Kart Stadium and Water Park 9/10 times, but I just couldn't come 1st in Sweet Sweet Canyon. I decided I must suck at the track so I practiced time trials and beat the ghost data. Then I practiced just that track on VS mode with computer difficulty set to normal, and I was winning just fine. So I went back to the Mushroom Cup. Nope couldn't win in Sweet Sweet Canyon.

Then my friend comes over and we play it together. Suddenly I come 1st in all tracks and get 3 stars...not only for the Flower Cup, but for the next 3 cups as well! I'm guessing after you win 2 tracks in a cup, the A.I. aggressively targets you... But it doesn't differentiate between human players and targets them equally, maybe? so my buddy was able to take some of the heat off me by getting abused himself.

Just on gifs showing Luigi's stare... There was a hilarious moment in a replay where Luigi overtook baby Luigi, and they just stared at each other for a moment, it was amazing! It looked as if they were both wondering how they could simultaneously exist in the same space..."Is this time travel? Or cloning?"

Alright, finally got three stars on all cups 150cc. Time to pick up a usb to ethernet adaptor finally and get in on some GAF action either today or tomorrow!

Top Bottom