• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
You only have to finish 1st in every race for 3 stars now, god knows what the requirements were in previous installments.
What letters?
In the older games, it was possible to get a-d as a rank. Thats crazy though how lax they made it this time around, but i suppose it's for the better. Cursing at my ds and 3ds was not fun lol

deafmedal

Picked up the bundle Friday night after work, got home and opened the box and got called out on an emergency call. Got home around 10 and set the WiiU up and got in a couple of GPs before falling asleep. Woke up Saturday morning and it was non stop karting all day with my daughter, we had a blast!

I was shocked how well she plays, she managed to beat me a couple of times and even won a GP (we were playing 100CC). Took a break and she played on her Mii and 3 starred the first four cups in 50CC. Made me proud :') She is even using the wheel with a non plus controller (I won't let her put my fancy Mario one in the stoopid fucking wheel :p ).

Not really digging horizontal split screen, wish we could change it. New tracks are great and I really like what they've done with some of the old tracks. The racing is tight and the game looks wonderful. I'm hesitant to call it the best yet (haven't tried online yet, wanna make sure I give myself some practice before my GAF ass reaming), not really feeling a few little niggles... of course most have already been mentioned...
-No times?! WTF!
-Replay listed before next race?! Soooo annoying :(
-No options at all.
-Nerfed battle mode, probably won't even try it. This makes me sad, had fun with 64 and GCN's battle mode.
-Hate that stats are hidden when selecting parts. Yes it's a button push... shouldn't be.
-AI seems very... inconsistent. Can go a whole cup in first not fucking up any lines and blam! 2/3rds through the final lap get slammed by a blue shell, hit with lightning in the middle of a jump and slammed with three shells for a third place finish and 57 points in the cup. Ugghhh. Thanks for the coins I guess?!
-I'm assuming no All Cup mode?
-Hit boxes seem off, been hit from behind while carrying a peel/shell. Must have hit on the corner or something I guess.
-IQ takes a dive during credits. Why? Perfect time to sit back and enjoy the views but it looks like doodoo.
-And my biggest gripe, no double items. I'll get used to it I know but it sucks.

Really seems like Nintendo wanted this game to be accessible and that's great but not at the expense of the Kart hardcore. Taking away features for those of us who have been playing since SMK feels wrong in this generation, we should be getting more... more stats, options, modes. Maybe they rushed it, maybe it's on purpose but it feels a bit bare bones (aside from kart/wheel/glider selection). Why all the Koppalings and babies? Where is Kamek and or Boo?! So many characters to pick from in the universe :(

Don't get me wrong, what is important is the racing and it is spot on awesome. I'm sure I will love the online ( this will be my first MK with a proper internet connection, I had some funky shit going on for Wii/DS and haven't even finished 7 yet since our 3DS kills my hands) so I'm sure this game will have legs for me. Maybe Nintendo will support it with updates but I doubt it. I'd like more tracks, stats, options and modes but I'm sure we'll just get karts... Benzos anyone?

ffdgh

In the older games, it was possible to get a-d as a rank. Thats crazy though how lax they made it this time around, but i suppose it's for the better. Cursing at my ds and 3ds was not fun lol

Lax my foot. 150 and mirror made you work for those 60 points lol.

As I continue to collect stamps, I'm a bit baffled that there's no way to check them like in 3D World (besides going to Miiverse and trying to post). Some kind of book or something would have been very easy to implement rather than having to print off a picture of my racers and cross off the ones I've done ;___;

RomanceDawn

Hey is there a new tournament room up? Still using the very first code but no one has been in the room at all last night or this morning.

Hasney

Hey is there a new tournament room up? Still using the very first code but no one has been in the room at all last night or this morning.

Using the one currently in the OP. It's pretty full, but remember, if there's no space in any current lobbies, it will put you in a new one.

Tiktaalik

Tried it out yesterday with some buddies. The changes Nintendo made to battle mode are utterly baffling. It's terrible. We quit the mode before completing a single event.

I can't understand how the battle mode changes made it through Nintendo QA without major flags being raised.

69wpm

Damn, some guy named "Ben" just teleported with his bike in the last corner right before me, I just heard but didn't see him :/

-Hit boxes seem off, been hit from behind while carrying a peel/shell. Must have hit on the corner or something I guess.

I thought this too at first... I was shocked when I got hit while holding an item. But I learned you can shoot a green shell at just the right angle to hit them slightly off to the side. Also, the three shells/bananas that circle you have a bigger space between them, allowing for some well timed hits.

Exile20

Tried it out yesterday with some buddies. The changes Nintendo made to battle mode are utterly baffling. It's terrible. We quit the mode before completing a single event.

I can't understand how the battle mode changes made it through Nintendo QA without major flags being raised.

I think they ran out of time honestly.

Regiruler

Hit boxes were definitely changed, or at least with certain items. Green Shells feel more accurate, so maybe it hits a larger hitbox.

Mik2121

Man, this blows. We were in a room 7 of us, then next round map selection starts with 12 people and, lo and behold... it gives a network error. Damn it, Ninty!

Tiktaalik

I think they ran out of time honestly.

That's really the only explanation, but it's still so weird to me. It speaks of major project management failure. Especially when you consider that It's Mario Kart 8 and there was a previous game on a system with a similar architecture.

pupcoffee

Just driving slowly through tracks in time trial, taking in all the details, man I feel like I'm playing GTAV for the first time again lol

Seriously nintendo make a Mario GTA clone with this driving/gliding...

Top Bottom