• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Just got done playing a little while ago with you guys and my 4 year old daughter. Much fun was had even if she consistently got second to last (seems someone else was also playing with their young child who was having problems keeping up too).

I think the reason that the Staff Ghosts are much easier now is because most of them seem to be from outside EAD meaning they didn't have as much experience with the game.

I know this is a stupid question because I feel like I would've discovered this option by now if it existed but...

Is there anyway to remove the helmets from the Mii characters? It defeats the purpose mostly as you only see them from behind and they all wear the same helmet. I didn't see any options to do so but I wanted to make sure none of you had stumbled upon some sort of voodoo hulla-ba-jig to perform this sort of digital sorcery.

Exile20

That's really the only explanation, but it's still so weird to me. It speaks of major project management failure. Especially when you consider that It's Mario Kart 8 and there was a previous game on a system with a similar architecture.

I wouldnt say so, the line up for the wii u is so barren. imagine if mk8 came out 3 months later. that would make it august or even september.

MicH

Dead last, just got a golden shroom. Somone uses a lightning bolt making me plunge to my death and I lose my shroom :(

VICI0US

aw man, just finished 3 starring every grand prix in 150cc/mirror mode.. apparently you don't get anything

no vehicle unlocks, no stars by your name online, nada. bummer.

Is there a list somewhere of all the unlocks?

Gold parts are the only parts with a set unlock criteria. The rest are random and unlock after every 50 coins up to 1000. After that, it's every 100 coins. I don't know the max amount of coins you need to get everything excluding the Gold Glider.

Gold Kart: At least 1 star on every cup of every engine class
Gold Tires: Beat all staff ghosts
Gold Glider: Get 10,000 coins

MicH

aw man, just finished 3 starring every grand prix in 150cc/mirror mode.. apparently you don't get anything

That sucks. Good thing I won't force myself to do it now :p

... Who am I kidding, of course I will...

Vylash

Gold parts are the only parts with a set unlock criteria. The rest are random and unlock after every 50 coins up to 1000. After that, it's every 100 coins. I don't know the max amount of coins you need to get everything excluding the Gold Glider.

Gold Kart: At least 1 star on every cup of every engine class
Gold Tires: Beat all staff ghosts
Gold Glider: Get 10,000 coins

oh god those last 2

TnK

Dis game is freaking awesome, and I am also playing Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed along side this game. Having a huge blast with both.

Is online 100CC or 150CC? If 100CC, is it possible to play at 150CC?

EDIT: You guys playing with each other online? Guess I need to add you guys if I also want to join then.

akaoni

Banned

I did it too assuming that was how you unlocked the gold kart, ended up only needing to win each GP with 1 star.

Dis game is freaking awesome, and I am also playing Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed along side this game. Having a huge blast with both.

Is online 100CC or 150CC? If 100CC, is it possible to play at 150CC?

You can choose to set any CC as a tournament option I think.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Got a few questions:
Can't I really customize buttons in any way? Looking behind is a bitch, my finger slips on the brake sometimes :/ I wanna put it where the useless horn is!

I think I've yet to understand MK TV: after races I can' t see a proper full replay option, only highlights which are random and super short.

What is the purpose of keeping a coin in your hand? If you're hit you're gonna lose it anyway.
Also, isn't it possible to fasten how long ink stays in-view by dashing like in MKWii (can't remember about MK7)?

What's the difference between glider, parachute, etc.?

What tournament code should I use?

I'm trying online for the first time.

Quote the OP to reveal the code, it's the second to last one kinda near the bottom.

These slo-mo replays are killing me. That Luigi driving angrily past Waluigi video/gif is already GOAT status

Mr. Sam

How do you go from using R as accelerate to using it for drift, and the same for the face buttons? How have you not gone entirely mad?

TnK

How do you go from using R as accelerate to using it for drift, and the same for the face buttons? How have you not gone entirely mad?

Nope
maybe?
. I played MKDS and MK7 a lot, so when my brain sees the countdown it automatically knows to press A for gas and R/L for drift/item.

Funny thing though, when I first played SASRT, I was constantly pressing the A button to accelerate, lol.

rpmurphy

Got a few questions:
Can't I really customize buttons in any way? Looking behind is a bitch, my finger slips on the brake sometimes :/ I wanna put it where the useless horn is!

I think I've yet to understand MK TV: after races I can' t see a proper full replay option, only highlights which are random and super short.

What' stone purpose of keeping a coin in you'd hand? If you're hit you're gonna lose it anyway.
Also, isn't it possible to fasten how long ink stays in-view by dashing like in MKWii (can't remember about MK7)?

What's the difference between glider, parachute, etc.?
No button customization, it's a fixed setting.
Yes, you can view full replays. Go into edit mode.
Items not deployed don't get lost, unless it's lightning.

corn_fest

No stars by your name? WTF, why even bother, then? It's strange how so many little presentation touches are missing from this game. Stars, lap times, stat tracking, a decent minimap... Does this mark the first time Nintendo has prioritized graphics over gameplay in a title?

Hasney

Damn just had a weird bug on that disco track. Person with star behind me drive straight through me, but then teleports up to the track above. Assuming it was lag prediction getting it wrong.

Top Bottom