• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Griss

So I've always played MK with friends and just the CPU. Playing online, are there any tips that I should keep in mind? Like is it a good idea to stay in first? Also, is there just a general how to as far as carts and setups and whatnot?

It's a racing game, so yes, you want to be in first :)

But seriously, getting out in first early is the easiest way to win races online, as 'the pack' behind you will all kill each other with item chaos while you sail onwards, untroubled.

When in first, always be trailing an item behind you. If you can't do that, get rid of whatever you have and try to get a defensive item.

As for karts, if you find that you're not winning a lot, so you're in the middle of the pack a lot and getting hit then go for a lighter character with a lot of acceleration, or a middleweight character but with acceleration based parts. (Press + on the part select screen to see in real time the change to your stats.)

If you're a good racer (you do a lot of time trials etc) then you might want to do what I do and pick a heavy racer with high speed and try to get out in front early. If you do this and get stuck in the pack you are fucked, no two ways about it. But it's a good way to win races, and I've had plenty of success.

My favourite setup is Roy (for good speed) with the pipe-frame kart, roller wheels (the aqua ones) and an acceleration based glider (the clouds). Give me good speed and good acceleration.

Teknoman

What's the horn??

Never seen it, but I also never got the Bullet Bill so far and I put 15 hours into the game already...

Its a little red box with a bike horn on it. Super defensive/offensive in that it instabreaks whatever object is flying at you/toward you, or you can disrupt a close pack of racers (i think).

Uh So I played the game for the last 3 days straight with my GF and a good friend... the roster is a joke right?

There will be more free characters later for download right?

Pink Gold Peach is probably the stupidest thing ever.
I'm hoping there are DLC characters. I don't care about the Koopa Kids, so like a third of the roster is no use to me.

akaoni

Banned
I can't run Rainbow Road (Wii U version) without falling off the track a million times :( RR64 though... I love that track!

If you pick a bike or maybe even any kart that corners narrow then you're going to have a tough time with the long circular corners, there's 3 of them. When I did GP I had to pick a different vehicle for that cup just with Rainbow Road in mind.

So, daydreaming posted this last night:

So, OricWindstar and I are in a Skype chat right now, trying out voice chat + kartin'. We'd love to do that with as many people as possible (from one race) in the future. Would any of you be up for this?

Obviously there's not so many people online right now so we're going to post this again, but if you're interested in joining us right now, send me a PM.

We set up a test tourney so I'll send you a tourney code, as well!

Looking forward to freaking out about your voices! :)
We already got a few people who are interested in doing this later tonight, so PM him if you want to join. We tried it last night and it was so much more fun when you can actually yell your frustrations about how bullshit that last race was.

We can only have 12 people (for obvious reasons), so let him know if you want in and let's see if we can make this a regular thing!

It's a racing game, so yes, you want to be in first :)

But seriously, getting out in first early is the easiest way to win races online, as 'the pack' behind you will all kill each other with item chaos while you sail onwards, untroubled.

When in first, always be trailing an item behind you. If you can't do that, get rid of whatever you have and try to get a defensive item.

As for karts, if you find that you're not winning a lot, so you're in the middle of the pack a lot and getting hit then go for a lighter character with a lot of acceleration, or a middleweight character but with acceleration based parts. (Press + on the part select screen to see in real time the change to your stats.)

If you're a good racer (you do a lot of time trials etc) then you might want to do what I do and pick a heavy racer with high speed and try to get out in front early. If you do this and get stuck in the pack you are fucked, no two ways about it. But it's a good way to win races, and I've had plenty of success.

My favourite setup is Roy (for good speed) with the pipe-frame kart, roller wheels (the aqua ones) and an acceleration based glider (the clouds). Give me good speed and good acceleration.

haha thanks, I will keep that in mind.

komplanen

Other than the technicalities of the graphics (low-poly models, jaggies, low-quality DoF) I got zero complaints. Well the connection issues are bad, but that's fixable by Nintendo.

Super fun. Just too amazing :)

So, daydreaming posted this last night:

We already got a few people who are interested in doing this later tonight, so PM him if you want to join. We tried it last night and it was so much more fun when you can actually yell your frustrations about how bullshit that last race was.

We can only have 12 people (for obvious reasons), so let him know if you want in and let's see if we can make this a regular thing!

I'll join again tonight about 11 Eastern...last night was fun

Mononoke

Banned
Not sure if the items are completely random, but I have the worst luck. I went a race where 9/10 I kept drawing coins. Now, I know getting 10 coins helps your overall base speed. But Jesus, I would rarely get things to defend myself (or take others out).

This went beyond that game too, I just seem to always get that damn coin item. lol

EDIT: Also, I hate Rainbow Road Wii U. The classic one is much much better. Hell, even Electrodome feels more like a Rainbow Road level (and its much more enjoyable). Should have just called Rainbow Road Wii U "Space Station something something".

Teknoman

I'm hoping there are DLC characters. I don't care about the Koopa Kids, so like a third of the roster is no use to me.

How can you NOT care about the koopa kids >:I

lol but seriously, i'm sure they'll have DLC characters. Personally i'm hoping for DLC track packs. Or free car parts. Maybe even a couple of boss battles like MKwii.

MisterM

I love getting the horn when I'm in the middle of everyone. The resulting carnage is amazing lol

Wheeyyy!! ;D

Mario Kart is a huge hit in this household. Me and the gf have been playing non stop in the evenings. I might try and get in the tournament later if there's space/people around.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No button customization, it's a fixed setting.
Yes, you can view full replays. Go into edit mode.
Items not deployed don't get lost, unless it's lightning.

Cool, thanks!

What about the glider, parachute, etc. is there a difference? I could never find one in MK7.

Also, is there a chart on how the different characters behave or proper stats?
Heavy character on a speedy vehicle versus a small character on the same kart, for example?
Or are the modifiers only the different karts in this MK?

How can you NOT care about the koopa kids >:I

lol but seriously, i'm sure they'll have DLC characters. Personally i'm hoping for DLC track packs. Or free car parts. Maybe even a couple of boss battles like MKwii.
Because they're boring.

The green shells need to be nerfed. I think someone said that they can bounce 10 times before breaking, that's ridiculous in a race with 12 people. It's not like the green shells are uncommon.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Justified my Wii u purchase. Game of the year, so far, for me.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Edit: Though it's not perfect. Jucksalbe's time there shows 1:150.215 because that's the best one he attached a Miiverse post to. Downloading his ghost, though, shows a time of 1:47.145, which was his best upload but with no post attached.

Basically, Nintendo, get your act together and implement a proper leaderboard.

Ugh, so I really do have to make a Miiverse post for every ghost I want to share? If at least the Miiverse message would show more than just "Time Trial" in the header.

Pappasman

Going for 3 stars in 150cc is making me really angry. Its just rolling the dice until you get lucky.

All of my GP attempts end up with 1st, 1st, 1st, then in the 4th race I get completly fucked by items right before the finish.

Classic MK i guess...

Top Bottom