• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Robin64

Ugh, so I really do have to make a Miiverse post for every ghost I want to share? If at least the Miiverse message would show more than just "Time Trial" in the header.

It's pretty bullshit and I'll probably just stick to a couple of tracks because of it.

Teknoman

Cool, thanks!

What about the glider, parachute, etc. is there a difference? I could never find one in MK7.

Also, is there a chart on how the different characters behave or proper stats?
Heavy character on a speedy vehicle versus a small character on the same kart, for example?
Or are the modifiers only the different karts in this MK?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Driver_base_stats

And the parachutes do have an effect on stats.

Jachaos

I think Mario Circuit, Electrodome and Mt. Wario are my favourite new tracks. The speed in Mario Circuit is something ! Soundtracks too.

Parachutes also lower your air speed but also decrease your falling speed which means you can remain in the air longer.

Is there any word on hidden stats from an official guide? I know they're there because they're always there and some parts have the same visible stat boosts.

daydream

Banned
We already got a few people who are interested in doing this later tonight, so PM him if you want to join. We tried it last night and it was so much more fun when you can actually yell your frustrations about how bullshit that last race was.

We can only have 12 people (for obvious reasons), so let him know if you want in and let's see if we can make this a regular thing!

Yeah, like Oric said, come join us! We've already got a good group of people who're interested in doing this later tonight, and I'm pretty excited for it! PM me if you want in. :)

Good morning, KartGAF. I have a couple of highlight reels for you.

Shy Guy Falls

Daydream, Robin, me, and Irminsul.

Royal Raceway

Daydream, me, Lew, and Irminsul.

Ha, nice! Finally some replays of me doing (deceptively) well. :p

Robin64

Bone Dry Dunes was one of the harder ones to beat the Staff Ghost on (though that's not saying much)

Wii Grumble Volcano was up there too.

Teletraan1

Banned
My last race on there was me in 1st for 2 laps, then blue shell, item gangbang, finish dead last. Hope you have better luck than me lol

I have had this happen for most of the races I have done in public. I get the feeling that my Canadian flag when all the other participants are American is working against me. Why on earth would I be in first in the final stretch of Mount Wario and finish 8th with every other player unloading everything they had on me. I got hit by a blue shell, 3 red shells, and a green all in the span of a few seconds. Only getting coins through the entire race really helped out there.

So after putting quite a few hours into Mario Kart 8 with a friend last night and today, I think I have formed a solid opinion on the game.

Quite possibly the most satisfying kart racer to actually play/race. The controls are basically perfect, and it feels great sliding around corners, getting boosts, using your items wisely.

The track design is the best in the series. Not just how they play, but the sheer amount of detail and polish in every track is mindboggling. The graphics are crazy nice, too. I don't know if it was my friend's TV or that we were sitting further back, but I didn't even notice any jaggies personally. I'm not saying they aren't there, but they were not as noticeable as I was expecting considering the complaints.

Fantastic music and sound effects.

The roster is very... weird. I actually really enjoy the koopalings being in there, but to quote my friend last night upon unlocking Pink Gold Peach, "What the fuck is that? Come on..." lol Too many babies and repeat/reskinned characters. No King Boo was a big let down for my friend.

Worst battle mode in the series. I know it hasn't been super great for a while, but MK8 is by far the worst of the bunch. I don't care what bullshit excuse they gave in that one interview about "wanting people to not expect someone else coming around a corner" - it was just rushed/ran out of time. That's the only excuse I'll accept. I will forgive them if they release DLC arenas with a few extra modes besides balloon battle (probably not happening).

Lack of modes. Lack of different gameplay types. Give me Career mode (ala SART) or Mission Mode (MKDS) at the very least. Those have a lot of replay value and keep me playing the game for a long time. Just having online racing isn't enough for me.

Overall - very fun game, but still a little bit disappointing. The gameplay is aces, but the lack of modes/variety/options really holds the game back just like it has the past few Mario Kart games.

daripad

Ok my new favorite tracks:

-Cloudtop Cruise: Gorgeous to look at, lots of fun curves and turns. Speed boosts at the dark clouds make it strategic. Dat leaf shortcut is great.

-Mario Circuit: I never love mario circuits, but this one has enough turns and tricks to make it fun. Seeing racers going over you is amazing.

-Sunshine Airport: My favorite track in the series. I love everything about it, the planes, the turns, the last gliding section, the routes. And is full of little details.

ngower

GAF hype train is real....

fNOF7TY.jpg

8TLhBgs.jpg

Eiolon

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there a way to get a better selection of courses in online mode? After playing 8 hours a day since the games release they are starting to get boring ha ha.

Azuran

Banned
Noooo! So close to my first ever Rainbow Road win, online and offline, but Kak comes out of nowhere and steals it at the last moment ; ;

MegalonJJ

Banned
This game is goddamn amazing.

I will say that the Gamecube track in the desert is the only one of two blemishes. The other being N64 Rainbow Road reduced to one lap (I was looking forward to the endurance aspect of it).

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there a way to get a better selection of courses in online mode? After playing 8 hours a day since the games release they are starting to get boring ha ha.

Haha the same tracks get played over and over, the 4 map selection didn't help at all :p

Got first by luck in the music track :D

Top Bottom