• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Teknoman

Wario is a genius!

• Owns a game development company
  • Has tons of money from treasure hunting and solving tomb puzzles
  • Makes the best tracks in Mario Kart

Seriously, all tracks with Wario in their name are so much fun.

MicH

When at the start of a race EVERYBODY gets item boxes but you:

a75XpEw_460sa.gif
Hahaha that is so true

K' Dash

This game is goddamn amazing.

I will say that the Gamecube track in the desert is the only one of two blemishes. The other being N64 Rainbow Road reduced to one lap (I was looking forward to the endurance aspect of it).

It's a shame they chose to remake the WORST track of the GameCube, there were so many amazing ones, Rainbow Road, Dino Dino Jungle, Donkey Kong Mountain, Wario Collosseum, Baby Park, Daisy Cruiser...

The Goat

Can you still tap the brakes to recover from hitting a banana peel?

Nope :( Really wish mechanics such as this were still in. Added a layer of skill that the game is sorely missing. Kart has always been luck of the draw and placement toward the end of the race. I'd still like to see racing skill get rewarded a bit more, but that will never happen, lol.

Love the game, but those last second fuckings suck.

I love that the Super Horn is an item, just used it to block a Blue Shell on Wario Stadium in the tournament. I managed to hold onto that thing for two laps, too, which is pretty impressive for me. That probably would have ruined my chance to get first if I didn't have it.

Azuran

Banned
It's a shame they chose to remake the WORST track of the GameCube, there were so many amazing ones, Rainbow Road, Dino Dino Jungle, Donkey Kong Mountain, Wario Collosseum, Baby Park, Daisy Cruiser...

Half of those were already in previous games as Retro. Wario Colosseum would have been great thought. Huge miss opportunity by Nintendo as that track was made for this game.

MegalonJJ

Banned

I know right. The other Gamecube track (snowy level) is pretty weak too.

AdanVC

Wario is a genius!

• Owns a game development company
  • Has tons of money from treasure hunting and solving tomb puzzles
  • Makes the best tracks in Mario Kart

Seriously, all tracks with Wario in their name are so much fun.

THIS 1000x! We now need Super Wario 3D World and everything will be perfect.

Kjellson

I just finished Mirror Mode! Oh man what a nightmare. I planned on getting three stars for every cup but I'm not even gonna bother now.

I got first at the first three tracks on Lightning Cup but ended 10th at Rainbow Road, lol.

espher

The GC tracks are definitely my least favourite of the retro tracks.

Which is a shame because I liked a lot of MK:DD tracks...

Zomba13

No clue how Wario Mountain is Wario like in anyway. Just seems like part olympic ski track, part dam, part alpine forest.

Unless Wario is Putin and it's the winter olympics? In which case it makes perfect sense.

Kouichi

The blue shell is overrated. It barely stop you and it's easy to get a big lead in first.

That random green shell in 6th place is the real monster.

Zomba13

I did an epic lightning dodge using a blue shell and running off the track on Tick Tock clock earlier. Drove off just as the shell was coming near, lightning struck and I got away from both after getting put back on track maintaining my lead. For some reason I can't get it in the highlight replay even just focusing on me and going for hits or action or everything. I think it was because I drove off or something :(

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I did an epic lightning dodge using a blue shell and running off the track on Tick Tock clock earlier. Drove off just as the shell was coming near, lightning struck and I got away from both after getting put back on track maintaining my lead. For some reason I can't get it in the highlight replay even just focusing on me and going for hits or action or everything. I think it was because I drove off or something :(

You can save the full race by changing the time to full in mkTV

RomanceDawn

Seems like if you are able to break away in 1st near the beginning you will have a easier time. It's the war zone that keeps me held back.

Ran Ran

Nintendo did a fantastic job of adding anti gravity sections to some of the retro tracks.

It makes alot of them even more fun.

Jackano

No clue how Wario Mountain is Wario like in anyway. Just seems like part olympic ski track, part dam, part alpine forest.

Unless Wario is Putin and it's the winter olympics? In which case it makes perfect sense.

They should have called it Mario & Sonic Sochi Mountain. It's a great track and they even created the end animation (like your kart is skis).

I really hope for cups DLC. The naming from Super Mario Kart could fit it. No new environements needed, just "Wario Mountain II" for example.

Frak, now I wnat to play agin. See you in five NeoGAF Races!

Teknoman

Question, does the tournament option create a new room if its full? Joined it and there was nobody in there, rejoined two more times and got different players in there.

Zomba13

Question, does the tournament option create a new room if its full? Joined it and there was nobody in there, rejoined two more times and got different players in there.

If it can't find a slot for you to join it makes a new room though sometimes if you quit and re-join it'll find a room for you.

komplanen

I had 1029 points and I was 5th on the overall leaderboards. Then as I was playing it started counting my points from 0 again and I ended up with 29 points. I went into the leaderboards and it showed that I was still 5th with 1029 points but my total is 1058. What the ef?

Daniel in the OT Race here. I've been driving with Lemmy. I'm also the guy that honks at the beginning of the races.
I've just only realized that I can control throttle and brake with the right control stick.

Also, thanks to anyone that has bumped in to me while I recover from a shell. I hate you all.

Teletraan1

Banned
Nope :( Really wish mechanics such as this were still in. Added a layer of skill that the game is sorely missing. Kart has always been luck of the draw and placement toward the end of the race. I'd still like to see racing skill get rewarded a bit more, but that will never happen, lol.

Love the game, but those last second fuckings suck.

There needs to be the ability to recover or more defensive items that require skill to use. Instead of just spinning you around and stopping you shells should make you go out of control in a way that you could possibly recover from if you did the proper driving technique. If you are just going to give the leader coins at least make it so you have a shorter recovery time the more coins you have or some invincibility frames so gang banging isn't an option. I love the way the game plays, the handling, the tracks are amazing, almost everything about this game makes it one of the best games I have played in years. But it still fucks you at the end of races which is what drove me away from playing past installments of the series. Ill probably end up enjoying my free Pikmin 3 more than this game in the end.

Top Bottom