• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about normal being easy. I'm sweeping these guys so easily, although one guy on mount Wario got ducked by 3 red shells and a blue one.

bryehn

That Wario ski hill track is fantastic! Wish there were more longer tracks like that and it really makes me want to see the return of 1080.

Koppai

Good lord. Came in first in the firstbtwomraces on 150cc and came in 5th in the other two.stupid AI...how I'm gonna 3 star it?

NotLiquid

Toad's Turnpike is a bit of a let down in this version. A lot of the atmosphere of the original's atmosphere feels a bit lost. Something about that dim sunset background and isolated highway of the original is really timeless while the newer one loses some of that with the added detail and the choice to set it during the night instead. I realize the original was mostly a result of limitations but it worked pretty well. Also there's no reason to go onto the antigravity sections.

Music is still dope though.

sinxtanx

I made a post describing my recent online experience

zlCfzR_1-f4c7_peLR

Zing

Banned
Good lord. Came in first in the firstbtwomraces on 150cc and came in 5th in the other two.stupid AI...how I'm gonna 3 star it?
Is this your first Mario Kart? It's always like that. You will get first in all the races except one where you get hosed on the last lap. Try, try again.

How are GAF people playing together?
The tournament code. I don't have it handy, because once you enter it into the game, you never need it again.

Blues1990

So after putting quite a few hours into Mario Kart 8 with a friend last night and today, I think I have formed a solid opinion on the game.

Quite possibly the most satisfying kart racer to actually play/race. The controls are basically perfect, and it feels great sliding around corners, getting boosts, using your items wisely.

The track design is the best in the series. Not just how they play, but the sheer amount of detail and polish in every track is mindboggling. The graphics are crazy nice, too. I don't know if it was my friend's TV or that we were sitting further back, but I didn't even notice any jaggies personally. I'm not saying they aren't there, but they were not as noticeable as I was expecting considering the complaints.

Fantastic music and sound effects.

The roster is very... weird. I actually really enjoy the koopalings being in there, but to quote my friend last night upon unlocking Pink Gold Peach, "What the fuck is that? Come on..." lol Too many babies and repeat/reskinned characters. No King Boo was a big let down for my friend.

Worst battle mode in the series. I know it hasn't been super great for a while, but MK8 is by far the worst of the bunch. I don't care what bullshit excuse they gave in that one interview about "wanting people to not expect someone else coming around a corner" - it was just rushed/ran out of time. That's the only excuse I'll accept. I will forgive them if they release DLC arenas with a few extra modes besides balloon battle (probably not happening).

Lack of modes. Lack of different gameplay types. Give me Career mode (ala SART) or Mission Mode (MKDS) at the very least. Those have a lot of replay value and keep me playing the game for a long time. Just having online racing isn't enough for me.

Overall - very fun game, but still a little bit disappointing. The gameplay is aces, but the lack of modes/variety/options really holds the game back just like it has the past few Mario Kart games.

Amen.

Zing

Banned
I know Nintendo really, really wants us to think that the gamepad is useful, but not having the minimap able to be shown on the screen is absurd.

Baleoce

I know Nintendo really, really wants us to think that the gamepad is useful, but not having the minimap able to be shown on the screen is absurd.

Agreed. I play with pro controller 99% of the time with the gamepad in front of the monitor, but I shouldn't have to.

MilesTeg

Banned

I understand people want a mini map on screen, but this is Mario Kart. The tracks are very streamlined, laps are short. It's easy to remember the track layout. This ain't Forza or Gran Turismo. Still should be an option though.

Jackano

Just won a GAF race like a boss. Mario Circuit. RNG gave me 3 red shells in 2nd position, so I just wait for the last half a lap to enrage that Morton gaffer :)

Of COURSE, there's a fucking communication error when I'm winning. -_-

EDIT: Wait, it didn't kick you guys out too? What the hell?

Wait a second, I'm spectating now, and it makes my guy a CPU!? I don't like that at all.

Zing

Banned
I understand people want a mini map on screen, but this is Mario Kart. The tracks are very streamlined, laps are short. It's easy to remember the track layout. This ain't Forza or Gran Turismo. Still should be an option though.
I don't give a shit about the track layout. I want to see how far ahead/behind the other players are. Just a line along the side with icons in relative position, don't even need to see the track layout.

TnK

I hate y'all for giving me a red shell just about to cross the finish line to be 2nd, only to end up being the 6th...

Top Bottom