• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Has it already been established that it needs to default to "next race" rather than "replay"?

Hitting replay after a bad race makes me want to fall down the stairs with a cactus.

Zing

Banned
Does this have the same problem Mario Kart Wii had? Where as people leave the room, no one new joins? It's as though after a while the server just doesn't add new players to a room.

Ettie

How is mirror mode unlocked? Gold trophy on 150cc's? I read that it's supposed to be available from the start, but if it is I can't figure out how to access it.

man dragging something to defend your butt is the way to go in GP single player

also my main finally found parts

my main is Baby Rosalina until I can unlock Rosalina
but I really like taking the corners

Robin64

Now my personal hype has died down, I'm mostly annoyed at a couple of glaring flaws with this entry.

• Time Trials - The lack of a real leaderboard is awful, especially in racing game released in 2014. Having to post every time to Miiverse in the hope that your friends can see it is horribly frustrating, and if you forget to add a new post with your new times, they still see your old time. It's very flawed and makes it not really worth doing Time Trial beyond beating the Staff Ghosts.
  • Online - There are a couple of issues here. The first is playing with friends whilst playing against other random players. Not being able to form a group and then go Global is pretty terrible. Instead you have to have one person go Global, then ask others to join them. The problem there is that often the room has become full, so it just doesn't work.

The second issue is with Tournaments and how they handle lobbies. Often I've been in a GAF group that is shrinking and shrinking, down to 4, then 3, then 2 players.. And you read the forum and it seems another group of maybe 6 or 7 is also playing. Why hasn't the game merged those two groups? It's a huge oversight, in my opinion, and the only way you can be sure you're in the most active group is to regularly back out.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, is anyone interested in tournaments with other rulesets? I'd love to try out shells only or even no items just to see how it goes.
What's the strangest, most vexing combination of rules you can create?

Baleoce

Think I'll take a break for a bit. Might consider investing in that wired lan wii u adapter. I don't think it's on my end, but still, I'm self concious about the wireless.

Now my personal hype has died down, I'm mostly annoyed at a couple of glaring flaws with this entry.

• Time Trials - The lack of a real leaderboard is awful, especially in racing game released in 2014. Having to post every time to Miiverse in the hope that your friends can see it is horribly frustrating, and if you forget to add a new post with your new times, they still see your old time. It's very flawed and makes it not really worth doing Time Trial beyond beating the Staff Ghosts.
  • Online - There are a couple of issues here. The first is playing with friends whilst playing against other random players. Not being able to form a group and then go Global is pretty terrible. Instead you have to have one person go Global, then ask others to join them. The problem there is that often the room has become full, so it just doesn't work.

The second issue is with Tournaments and how they handle lobbies. Often I've been in a GAF group that is shrinking and shrinking, down to 4, then 3, then 2 players.. And you read the forum and it seems another group of maybe 6 or 7 is also playing. Why hasn't the game merged those two groups? It's a huge oversight, in my opinion, and the only way you can be sure you're in the most active group is to regularly back out.
I think the first race is completely full and instead of making three or four people sit in a lobby until more people come in, they let you race. I might be wrong though.

Exile20

We really need a tournament thread because everything else gets lost among people taking about thier races.

n82TvZ1.png

gqU8tpw.png

Robin64

I think the first race is completely full and instead of making three or four people sit in a lobby until more people come in, they let you race. I might be wrong though.

I thought that might be the case too, but I've been in a group of 4, backed out and rejoined and then been in a different lobby with 4 different people. It seems entirely random.

Zing

Banned
Watch who Mario is riding with during the staff credits video. It's official… Princess Peach has been replaced.

Bodom

Banned
Is it me or can you get a speed boost by performing a trick when hitting the blue anti-gravity Lines on certain tracks but not on others? Seem's like an odd decision by Nintendo... Gotta memorize where it works and where it doesn't I guess. Or am I doing something wrong ? ^_^

Top Bottom