• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Coppanuva

I thought that might be the case too, but I've been in a group of 4, backed out and rejoined and then been in a different lobby with 4 different people. It seems entirely random.

My guess is it's something to do with race queues. Presumably at one point both of these groups couldn't be merged (for sake of simplicity assume both are full). You eventually have people leave, so now you have 2 groups of 4 going but they're not racing at the same time. So the game just checks (naively) "I'm about to queue, is another group in this tournament queueing now? Nope, going to go start track vote now" and they do that since both aren't voting simultaneously.

There's also the chance they try to make the number of racers per room more even. So rather than creating a set of maximum capacity rooms, Mario Kart prefers to have one room with X racers so that it minimizes the chances of having a 2 player race.

Jucksalbe

Banned
  • Time Trials - The lack of a real leaderboard is awful, especially in racing game released in 2014. Having to post every time to Miiverse in the hope that your friends can see it is horribly frustrating, and if you forget to add a new post with your new times, they still see your old time. It's very flawed and makes it not really worth doing Time Trial beyond beating the Staff Ghosts.

I don't care much for a "real leaderboard", I wouldn't be able to compete for the top spot anyway, but I really miss the option to send a ghost to a friend as a challenge that Mario Kart Wii had and its friends leaderboards. I'd also like the option to race against multiple ghosts like in MK 7 back. And what I really don't understand is why they limit the amount of ghosts you can download so much. With 16 ghosts total maximum you can't even download one ghost per track, very strange, there shouldn't really be any storage problems like older games may have had.
At least you can still upload your best time later if you didn't do it before.

I improved my times and added a Miiverse post for the first three tracks now, in case you want to compete.

MilesTeg

Banned
You have to go to post and look there. No catalog, sadly.

Another oversight for a clearly rushed (but amazing nonetheless!) game.

That is pretty weak, every time I got a stamp I would just forego the Miiverse thing.

I mean, this game doesn't even have a settings menu!

Robin64

I don't care much for a "real leaderboard"

By "real leaderboard" I mostly just mean an easy way to see friend times without them having to jump through hoops. If they set a time, I should be able to see it. I don't really care about worldwide times, but I want to know I am beating certain people in particular.

Teknoman

Ah Lightning, why must you always crush my dreams :'(

iyTexq2KwX1gg.gif

Nothing worse than being hit with a bolt in the middle of gliding over a pit.

Also how the hell do red shells fly sometimes? I've been hit with one mid-air.

TuXx

Sigh, I've been trying to connect online all day but I keep getting communication error codes.

It shouldn't be this hard to play online, Nintendo.

enoki

I have an online friend playing matches with myself and a real life friend. Mario Kart is giving me the warm fuzzies.

Teknoman

Is it me or can you get a speed boost by performing a trick when hitting the blue anti-gravity Lines on certain tracks but not on others? Seem's like an odd decision by Nintendo... Gotta memorize where it works and where it doesn't I guess. Or am I doing something wrong ? ^_^

I think any of them that have a slight ramp = trick time.

Jucksalbe

Banned
By "real leaderboard" I mostly just mean an easy way to see friend times without them having to jump through hoops. If they set a time, I should be able to see it. I don't really care about worldwide times, but I want to know I am beating certain people in particular.

Oh yeah, I definitely want a proper friend leaderboard, even if it's just the bubbles like in MK Wii.

Baleoce

Yeah I agree. It should be as simple as pressing L or R on the times page, where you get to select a miiverse ghost from the global leaderboard, but change from global to "friends".

Zing

Banned
Sigh, I've been trying to connect online all day but I keep getting communication error codes.

It shouldn't be this hard to play online, Nintendo.
It really must either be a regional thing, or an actual problem with you Wii U network connection. It's not like the Wii U networking has gotten any use until this game.

I'm using wireless N via an Apple airport express and I haven't had a single error, ever.

TuXx

It really must either be a regional thing, or an actual problem with you Wii U network connection. It's not like the Wii U networking has gotten any use until this game.

I'm using wireless N via an Apple airport express and I haven't had a single error, ever.

I'm guessing regional. I had no problems playing online yesterday, but today is a different story.

Oh well, Might as well try out the free game.

Doorman

It was such a bad idea for me to switch to one of the sharp-drifting bikes right after playing a bunch of GP in karts. My drift timing is so wonked right now. :p

Baleoce

It was such a bad idea for me to switch to one of the sharp-drifting bikes right after playing a bunch of GP in karts. My drift timing is so wonked right now. :p

One thing I'll say for inside drifting online, is that it's easier to nail shortcuts in clutch moments. I always cock them up on kart online.

wrowa

I don't care much for a "real leaderboard", I wouldn't be able to compete for the top spot anyway, but I really miss the option to send a ghost to a friend as a challenge that Mario Kart Wii had and its friends leaderboards.

Once you upload a ghost your friends can access it. I'm not sure what's supposed to be wrong with that.

Doorman

One thing I'll say for inside drifting online, is that it's easier to nail shortcuts in clutch moments. I always cock them up on kart online.

It's messing with me because I used inside-drift bikes all the time in Mario Kart Wii, but this time around it seems like their benefits have been really toned down. It feels a bit like the timing for when they actually start to cut inside has been changed and it's been rough for me to adjust to that.
Which is a shame, because that Yoshi bike is really cool. :c

Top Bottom