• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

7TjZRVP.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouGztvKPGY4

I had a close call.

This is the most epic thing ever

Zing

Banned
So I get a free game with MK8, should I go for Zelda: Wind Waker or Pikmen 3? Will I get better load times if Zelda: WW or Pikmen 3 are downloaded compared to disc?
Nope. Load times are roughly the same as optical disc, especially if you are using the native storage. Benchmarks show that the throughput of the flash memory is the same as the disc drive.

If you have a high quality SSD external drive (waste of money) then you will be ever so slightly faster due to access time, but throughput is still limiting.

I'd suggest Wind Waker, if only because it was intended to be digital only and doesn't even come with a paper pamphlet! Weak.

Prototype

No, speed. Get that boost.

Ya hitting the full boost at the start is a must.

I thought this, but you get screwed later in the race because of lack of speed. IMO It's better to have a heavier character so you don't get shunted off the track on the opening corner.

This has happened to me for sure but I was playing in the gaf room last night and some guy was using bowser with the bumble bee kart, the one with crazy acceleration and was consistently placing top 3. Having a heavy character seems like a must for sure tho or your going to be knocked around like crazy.

IT ducks too because I really like using lemmy but getting hit off tracks all the time sucks. Guess I have to submit and use Rosalina lol.

I tend to go with Heavy, but they are some godlike kart players like Kouichi that play shy guy and shit so

I'd there any advantage to using smaller character? So far doesn't seem like much of a point tbh. Heavy character + bike = win lol

trixx

Hand still cramping from my marathon session yesterday.

Any suggestions on the least carpal-tunnel inducing control scheme? Pro Controller using A for acceleration? Y for acceleration? Right sick for acceleration? Wii remote? Will remote+Nunchuck?

how is it with the pro controller if you play for hours. Wiimote nunchuck combo feels tiresome after a while

Just picked up this game on launch day and I have just been playing it so much for the past weekend, it's ridiculous. I killed my Gamepad battery charge twice in one day....that never happens!

The strongest feature of the game is the multiplayer. It takes about five seconds to get you in a group, then it takes less than a minute before you're in a race. Most other racing games have too much setup work before getting in a match, but for this one, you're just in action almost all the time. And I haven't seen any strangeness in the races either, like floating cars, flickering (where a car would teleport from one spot to the next), or overspeeding opponents (due to network lag).

It's practically an arcade experience at home. I tried it one player, two players....it's just perfect. No hint of lag, weirdness, whatsoever. It just works. How did the do this??? Bigger companies with massive game budgets have accomplished far less than what Nintendo has pulled off here.

And I'm playing from a country that has one of the slowest DSL speeds in the world.

Bravo Nintendo. Just, bravo.

Zing

Banned
I still have no problem with the wheel. I have played for hours with no discomfort. The gamepad is instant cramps though.

I have only seen one other player using the wheel. It's weird. Back with the Wii game, I'd say most people used the wheel. It's as though everyone forgot it existed.

I have the gold wheel icon because I've used it so much.

Xamdou

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I get a free game with MK8, should I go for Zelda: Wind Waker or Pikmen 3? Will I get better load times if Zelda: WW or Pikmen 3 are downloaded compared to disc?

well you get the full 500 points if you go with pikmin 3

K' Dash

I was playing Watch_Dogs, glance at this thread and now I want to play MK again, damn it!

I'm joining in a few minutes, fack!

MGrant

Do you think this game will ever be rebalanced via a patch? If so, which changes would you like to see? My own personal buff/nerf list:

Buff:

Speed - Races are often decided by items, so accleration tends to be much more valuable. Not to mention that even the fastest top speed will only modestly outpace other racers on a straightaway. Make speed have more of an impact, and you'll increase the diversity of viable racers/parts instantly.

Monster Tires - These things add only a slight amount of weight and traction. Give them some speed.

Badwagon/Steel Driver/Tri-Speeder/Standard ATV - Weight and traction are not worth enough in a race to sacrifice speed or acceleration. Give them some speed.

Nerf:

Red Shells/Triple Red Shells - This is the most dangerous weapon in the game. In close races, it can completely remove a top-3 racer from the competition. The trip reds function as a shield, a close-range weapon, and a nearly unavoidable carrier of death. Reduce the amount of stun red shells cause, something more like Double Dash's banana peels. Keep the long stun on bananas and green shells; I like how satisfying it is to land a hit with those. And bring back the ability to avoid red shells with a mini-turbo, also like Double Dash, to discourage long-distance shots.

Everything else seems pretty well-balanced to me. Maybe the boomerang is a little weak from anything but close distance.

Trying to back use to the Wii Wheel. Got it down for the most part. That's all I ever played it with on the Wii and wanted to get back into that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I had a similar but not as good close call with a bomb just now. Mine was mid-race and not in the air though. And I couldn't get it in the replay :(

StAidan

I still have no problem with the wheel. I have played for hours with no discomfort. The gamepad is instant cramps though.

I have only seen one other player using the wheel. It's weird. Back with the Wii game, I'd say most people used the wheel. It's as though everyone forgot it existed.

I have the gold wheel icon because I've used it so much.

I've been wheel-exclusive in MK8, never even tried the other schemes. MKWii was pretty much 100% wheel for me, too. I love it.

Xamdou

So finished 100cc, is there a point to getting 3 stars for each Cup? Or should I move on to 150cc? How do I unlock all the characters and upgrades?

jts

...hate me...
God damn, GAF races make 150cc seem like a cakewalk.

Wish the replays had more features, ala Smash Bros. To move camera angles, change between drivers, take pictures, etc. But alas.

Top Bottom